• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit wont eat hay. Please help.

edward

Young Bun
I had my rabbit for 2 days now and he is nearly 5 months old. (born in september) and he is my first rabbit and he is a lop, not sure what kind of lop however.
He will not eat hay, currently he has timmothy hay but I found it is coarse and maybe a bit too coarse for him? Also the hay i buy is 'Pets at home timmothy hay' Its not very green its roughly brownish-white.
I tried hiding treats in the hay and he would just dig them out and eat the treats (apples and carrots)
Sometimes he does eat hay but its a very small amount, like a couple of bites, if he does he will eat it from the floor and not from the hayrack which has plenty of hay in it.
He eats around 40g of pellets per day, 20 in the morning and 20 in the evening and apples and carrots as treats ( very small ammounts) he seems to be a happy little bunny doing binkys around the house.
I haven't tried giving him any other type of hay like alfalfa or orchard grass hay maybe that will resolve the issue.
His teeth are fine and not overgrown.
I was just thinking that when he got seperated from his "friends/brothers" at the pet store he was maybe a little sad and made him loose appetite but then again is doing binkys around the house.
His poop is solid and not diarrhea
Is the hay that im buying bad quality? Will he die? Please help, i've read lots about a rabbits diet and hay is really important to rabbits, how could i make him eat hay?

Last edited:
To me the pellets sound too much, my two are currently sharing 12g of pellets a day.
Apples and carrots are generally considered to contain too much sugar, what other veggies or forage are you feeding him?
Additionally rabbits can be fussy over their hay, you can try different brands or types of hay to find one he likes. Hay Experts sell a variety of different hays, currently I am feeding mine Timothy Hay from www.timothyhay.co.UK and Ings Hay from www.hayandstraw.co.UK

2 days is not enough time for a rabbit to feel settled and in a good eating routine. Also, you are giving too many pellets so reduce the amount slowly and he will start to eat his hay. At the moment he is getting full on pellets so won't want the hay, so you need to keep giving him less pellets and after a while he will start to eat his hay. Pets at Home hay is very good so I have been told and Timothy Hay is one of rabbits' favourites.

welcome to RU. Horace the bold has given good advice. Readigrass is good for tempting hay reluctant bunnies too. As the nuggets go down the hay consumption should go up but keep an eye on his weight

Quick update : my rabbit doesn't have a litter tray , he just has all his feces in one corner and that is where the hay rack is. I have let him out the cage like usual and I saw him munching on his hay like crazy outside of his cage. I flipped the hayrack so it's facing outside and he's eating out of it. Also I put the hay in the place where he would poo, and he nibbled on the hay. And also I feed him a little ammount of lettuce and fresh grass from garden every morning

Last edited:
great update ! They are nosey creatures & like to keep an eye on the world as they nibble so good call. Grass is good too

Thank you all for the help, I dont know what happened but my rabbit is eating hay like crazy now, maybe its because i opened a new packet of hay which was maybe more fresh for him.

Back