• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there anything I need to do to Apple branches?

ghibli

Warren Scout
Hi,

I've got some apple branches, twigs, and leaves from my wife's parents garden as a Christmas treat for ten bunnies.

I just want to make sure there isn't anything I'm supposed to do like dry them out or anything before they can eat them?

Also can they eat the leaves as well?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Barry
d1498043ce6d3db92ebabda4678e9c70.jpg

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Apart from watching them devour the branches you don't need to do anything. Twigs, branches and leaves are generally enthusiastically received I've found.

Hi,

I've got some apple branches, twigs, and leaves from my wife's parents garden as a Christmas treat for ten bunnies.

I just want to make sure there isn't anything I'm supposed to do like dry them out or anything before they can eat them?

Also can they eat the leaves as well?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Barry
d1498043ce6d3db92ebabda4678e9c70.jpg

Lucky bunnies :D

They can eat every scrap, bark and all :)

Apart from watching them devour the branches you don't need to do anything. Twigs, branches and leaves are generally enthusiastically received I've found.

As HOR says, the Rabbits can eat all of the apple branches as long as the trees were not treated with any sort of pesticides :)

Eeyore might appreciate some too ! :D

So it doesn't matter that it green wood? They can eat cut straight from the tree?

Well they're cutting down a small apple tree, so I'm going to chop them into little round cake shapes ☺️ for the bunnies 🐰🐰☺️ for Christmas 🎄 I just want sure if there was any kind of preparation I needed to do? I know I'm probably being paranoid, but I worry about my rabbits all the time!

Lucky rabbits :) The trees must be very sheltered, as our trees lost all of their leaves about three weeks ago.

I think you will observe that the leaves get devoured first, then thin twigs whole and lastly the bark from thicker twigs :D

We definitely need some pics of the feast.

Ok, they just sniffed the, looked at me in disgust, then hopped off kicking their heals. Could it be that I have the only two rabbis in the world who don't like apple?

I think Ghibli might be getting a little curious, but Twinkle ✨ [the destroyer of sofas] has disappeared into her hiding corner! Oh well, perhaps they just need time to workout it's actually tasty. They're very fussy little rabbits 🐰🐰

29da564c8fc76af56d4efc307fb7d30e.jpg

I'd definitely leave the twigs with them. I'd find it hard to believe that they don't start nibbling it soon. Also try them with some leaves.

Regarding "green wood", mine very much prefer this to wood that has been cut a while.

You could also try leaving the branches at different heights and angles - eg stuck through the bars, dangling down or wedged upright in something in their pen. Sometimes flat on the floor just isn't as interesting.

The wood will keep if you store it somewhere cool and airy - either tie up in bunches or store in a large box and regularly turn it.

I think Ghibli might be getting a little curious, but Twinkle ✨ [the destroyer of sofas] has disappeared into her hiding corner! Oh well, perhaps they just need time to workout it's actually tasty. They're very fussy little rabbits 🐰🐰

29da564c8fc76af56d4efc307fb7d30e.jpg

:lol:

I think the word fussy could be applied to lots of our rabbits!

Well they've started stripping the bark off the twigs. They seem to prefer the twigs to the branches, which is weird cos Twinkle ✨ chews just about anything she finds [except it seems apple branches] ☺️

Well they've started stripping the bark off the twigs. They seem to prefer the twigs to the branches, which is weird cos Twinkle ✨ chews just about anything she finds [except it seems apple branches] ☺️

Who knows why they do what they do! I'm glad they are getting chewing enjoyment :D

I don't think yours are the only ones. Both Rolo and my previous Bunny Benny wouldn't touch Apple Twigs. They both love apples though

I am no expert but I collected some Apple twigs. I rinsed in water and scrubbed incase of any moss. I then baked them in the oven to sterilise them as it was from a country park. I do the same with pine cones, they open up really big In the oven

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Back