• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebonding after time apart

Tamwill

Young Bun
Since my two produced a surprise litter for me 19 days ago they've been in separate cages but still in daily contact in a shared run (decided so they can't get to each other obviously) male has now been neutered and female will be spayed once litter is 6 weeks old. I'm keeping one of the litter who will also be neutered/spayed as soon as it's old enough. I'd like them to live as a trio but no idea where to start. Obviously I know nothing can be started till the rest of the litter are removed from the equation but I'm trying to prepare in advance to ensure I'm doing all I can for a smooth bonding for them all

Last edited:
Keeping the baby you decide to keep with the mum will help as then you just need to bond all 3 in a neutral space once they've been allowed time for hormones to settle. Although I think it's advised mum stays with them utility 8 weeks and isn't neutered until milk production has stopped (?)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

6 weeks is a tad too early for Mum to undergo quite a big operation. I have known Mums to still feed their babies up to 12 weeks old as they are obviously still feeling maternal etc. Babies should not leave Mum before they are 8 weeks old, I prefer to carry on for longer as they obviously gain so much more the longer they are with her. You would very possibly be better off keeping a Daughter if you can sex them properly at this early age, she will stay with Mum and there shouldn't be any problems. Whereas a boy would have to be separated from Mum until he could be neutered, then rebonded later. I would try not to rush things, I know you want Mum and Dad to be together again but there should be no problem rebonding them as long as you use a neutral area. Also more time will allow Mum's hormones to stabilise and what you could do is wait till her Daughter is about 6 months old and have them both spayed at the same time. This doesn't mean you can't rebond them with Dad before this, say when her Daughter is about 4 months old or maybe a little sooner.

I was under the impression that they couldn't be together again until they were both spayed/neutered so thanks for that 😀 that's very helpful and saved me rushing her into a big op.
I have so much to learn!

I was under the impression that they couldn't be together again until they were both spayed/neutered so thanks for that 😀 that's very helpful and saved me rushing her into a big op.
I have so much to learn!
Personally I would wait until both are neutered as she'll still be hormonal, but at least have the male done and allow 12 weeks before bonding.

I am pleased to hear your boy has recovered well. All rabbits are slightly different, you can have unspayed does living with neutered boys quite happily. Having babies upsets the Mum's hormones sometimes so she feels desperate to become pregnant again. Other does calm down nicely so there is no problem of the doe pestering a male. You will need to monitor anything you do to make sure the rabbits are happy and settled, this includes Mum and Daughter living together - Mostly they are very happy but occasionally they squabble. I suppose the ideal way would be to keep Mum and Daughter together and only put them back with Dad once they are spayed and recovered. Not so good for Dad but if he seems happy enough then maybe this would be the best course of action. Rabbits are quite complex creatures :thumb:

I agree the best option would be to wait until mum and daughter are spayed before rebonding with the dad :)

Back