• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My baby was taken so suddenly. I'm finding it so hard. Messages of support welcome

DavidH

New Kit
Hey there guys.

At the beginning of last week all seemed well with my bunnies Atashi and Puff. Around about Tuesday I noticed Puff our littlest one wasn't really interested in eating her pellets and only ate a little hay. I thought it was odd but it was early so i said i would see how she was that night. Again she had eaten some of her pellets but not all of them. The next day i took the day off of work and and took them both to the vet thinking perhaps they were having tummy issues as Atashi had needed some treatment for that in the past after not eating. He felt their stomachs and due to them not eating he thought it could be that and gave them some treatment.

They seemed okay for a bit but puff still wouldn't eat, so again the next day i took he straight to the vet. She seemed in discomfort. In a little pain. Her chin was wet from her trying to drink and dipping her head in the water. The vet offered to keep her in to give her an xray to try and identify the problem. I agreed as she seemed to need help quickly. They called me later to tell me there was no obstruction but it was infact spurs in her little mouth causing her pain and discomfort and that's why she wasn't eating.

She got them fixed and we went to pick her up after work. They warned that she was taking her time coming around from being put under and she might take most of the night to fully wake up. We got her home and put her in her favorite spot in the living room with her buddy, who lay with her since she wasn't moving. She occasionally raised her head groggily but nothing else. We tried to get some critical care into her but she wouldn't swallow either time. At the end of the night we thought i was best to leave her and her buddy to give her some time to get back on her feet and hopefully eat now that her face was no longer sore.

We woke up the next morning and went to check on her and the worst possible outcome had happened. In the night our beautiful baby had died.

It's been a few days now and we have sent her off to be cremated. We are looking into getting a new friend for Atashi. Luckily he is still eating even though he seems down. We are so devastated. She was a bunny we got a year ago after moving into our new house. She was Atashi's first friend and we expected her to be in our life for years. She looked after him and much as he was a big lazy bun she was so small and would dart around the room binkying and flopping every night. This has broken my heart as it feels so wrong. Ive never cried like this in my life and i feel like something will forever be missing. Our house feels so quiet and somber, which feels silly cos she of course didnt make noise.

Im sorry this is so long but i just needed to type it out to someone who understands. My little baby was fine one week and gone the next. She helped my and wife through a hard year. My wife has had anxiety problems and puff was always there to help her. We were coming out of a really bad time that our bunnies helped us through and we wanted to live through more happy moments with them, in the garden, in the house, in their castle (pictures below). It feels so unfair and cruel that even though we did everything we could and loved her so much she is gone. It was suppose to be this week that our lives started to relax and we could take it easy on the run up to xmas with our babies. Now we are filled with grief, guilt and worry. I know we will move forward but its so hard to imagine that right now.

Some links here to pics from the instagram my wife made for them. Please no comments on the instagram account as my wife is having a hard time already and i dont think she could cope with any messages or comments.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEZLi9auRK6/?taken-by=atashi_and_puff

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHxgzlFjt-u/?taken-by=atashi_and_puff

Last edited:
sorry by no comments on this i meant the instagram, not this post. you can reply to this post all you like. in fact i would welcome it.

I am so so sorry to hear of Puff's passing :cry: It is obvious from your post that she was a very important member of your family and I can imagine how devastated you and your wife are. Puff may have gone from the world but she will never EVER leave your hearts.

RIP Puff xx

Thank you so much. She was indeed very important to us. she helped us through so much. It all feels so unfair and i know i will never forget the way she would chin my finger, or the way she would nibble something that she knew she wasn't allowed to then run off and binky cos she loved causing mischief. she taught atashi how to binky and he tried to teach her to flop even if she was too light and would always roll right over. She will forever be missed. thank you for your message.

She was absolutely gorgeous & clearly a much loved family member, I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. Sweet dreams little Puff x

Thank you so much. She was indeed very important to us. she helped us through so much. It all feels so unfair and i know i will never forget the way she would chin my finger, or the way she would nibble something that she knew she wasn't allowed to then run off and binky cos she loved causing mischief. she taught atashi how to binky and he tried to teach her to flop even if she was too light and would always roll right over. She will forever be missed. thank you for your message.

Puff will always be a part of your Family, albeit in a different form from her physical being. The comfort Puff gave your wife is a gift that Puff has left for your wife to continue to use as she remembers her special friend. Of course there is great sadness that Puff passed away, the pain of loss is proportionate to the amount of love we have for our departed friend. I hope that having Atashi to care for will help both you and your wife xx

She was indeed. My wife and i loved her so much. we bought her a castle so she would never be bored and cos she was a princess. She had so much personality and as you can see from the Instagram we treated her better than ourselves most of the time. Life is so cruel but i am so happy for even just having her for a short time. She became ingrained in my heart. She should be here. but at least she got to play around the xmas tree before she went and the love Atashi felt for her will never fade. Thank you so much for your words of support.

Very true, she will always be part of who we are now. From the minute we went to the rescue place and they handed her to me i was in the deepest love. Unfortunately that type of love being taken away can leave you broken. But she will never really be gone, because i will never forget her. And one day when we are all gone from this world and i blink my eyes open to the sounds of a field full of animals and a bridge of rainbow colours i will look around and i will meet her eye. I will run to he and hold her in my arms under that warm sun and together we will run and play in eternity. The idea brings me comfort for the future even if for now it breaks my heart more than ever. I have lost people who haven't caused this level of grief. She was truly special, just like all our furry babies are. Her little white line on her face, her chompy little mouth and her little tiny tiny ears that would move around like satellites to hear what was going on. God i miss her, but im happy i had her.

Hey there guys.

At the beginning of last week all seemed well with my bunnies Atashi and Puff. Around about Tuesday I noticed Puff our littlest one was really interested in eating her pellets and only ate a little hay. I thought it was odd but it was early so i said i would see how she was that night. Again she had eaten some of her pellets but not all of them. The next day i took the day off of work and and took them both to the vet thinking perhaps they were having tummy issues as Atashi had needed some treatment for that in the past after not eating. He felt their stomachs and due to them not eating he thought it could be that and gave them some treatment.

They seemed okay for a bit but puff still wouldn't eat, so again the next day i took he straight to the vet. She seemed in discomfort. In a little pain. Her chin was wet from her trying to drink and dipping her head in the water. The vet offered to keep her in to give her an xray to try and identify the problem. I agreed as she seemed to need help quickly. They called me later to tell me there was no obstruction but it was infact spurs in her little mouth causing her pain and discomfort and that's why she wasn't eating.

She got them fixed and we went to pick her up after work. They warned that she was taking her time coming around from being put under and she might take most of the night to fully wake up. We got her home and put her in her favorite spot in the living room with her buddy, who lay with her since she wasn't moving. She occasionally raised her head groggily but nothing else. We tried to get some critical care into her but she wouldn't swallow either time. At the end of the night we thought i was best to leave her and her buddy to give her some time to get back on her feet and hopefully eat now that her face was no longer sore.

We woke up the next morning and went to check on her and the worst possible outcome had happened. In the night our beautiful baby had died.

It's been a few days now and we have sent her off to be cremated. We are looking into getting a new friend for Atashi. Luckily he is still eating even though he seems down. We are so devastated. She was a bunny we got a year ago after moving into our new house. She was Atashi's first friend and we expected her to be in our life for years. She looked after him and much as he was a big lazy bun she was so small and would dart around the room binkying and flopping every night. This has broken my heart as it feels so wrong. Ive never cried like this in my life and i feel like something will forever be missing. Our house feels so quiet and somber, which feels silly cos she of course didnt make noise.

Im sorry this is so long but i just needed to type it out to someone who understands. My little baby was fine one week and gone the next. She helped my and wife through a hard year. My wife has had anxiety problems and puff was always there to help her. We were coming out of a really bad time that our bunnies helped us through and we wanted to live through more happy moments with them, in the garden, in the house, in their castle (pictures below). It feels so unfair and cruel that even though we did everything we could and loved her so much she is gone. It was suppose to be this week that our lives started to relax and we could take it easy on the run up to xmas with our babies. Now we are filled with grief, guilt and worry. I know we will move forward but its so hard to imagine that right now.

Some links here to pics from the instagram my wife made for them. Please no comments on the instagram account as my wife is having a hard time already and i dont think she could cope with any messages or comments.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEZLi9auRK6/?taken-by=atashi_and_puff

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHxgzlFjt-u/?taken-by=atashi_and_puff

David - welcome to the Forum and I'm so sorry to learn of Puff. You must both be devastated and it does feel so very wrong.

The instagrams are beautiful and show what a character she was. Full of joy and life and delighting in the little things. In time you'll focus on those things and she will make you smile. I lost a dear beloved rabbit this time last year and it's so so hard. Coming up to Christmas upsets me again but I know what a great life he had and the same is true of Puff.

Where there has been great love, there is also great suffering. My thoughts are with you both, and Atashi x

Puff was a very lovely rabbit and you can see from her face that she had a super character. I am so sorry that you lost her :cry: Sending lots of hugs to you and your wife. Also hoping that you will keep in touch and let us know about how Atashi is coping.

Thank you, yes it is the worst time of year for it, especially after such a hard year. I can only imagine how hard it will be when xmas comes around again. But the jingling of bells will always remind me of her as she had a little ball with a bell in it that she loved to toss and play with. and when i left the vets after handing her in to be sent away for cremation there were the slight jingle of wind chimes that i couldn't see so that will always be something to remember. Thank you for your words of comfort. Yes, with the good comes the bad and thats the part we accept in giving our babies such good lives. thank you so much for your words.

Thanks Omi, she had the cutest little face. I think i will miss that the most. It feels like it should not have happened, but it did. I'm sure im not the first or last person to feel this way and my heart goes out to anyone in a similar situation. I will of course keep in touch and send you guys news of atashi and let you know how he is doing when he gets a new friend. we are taking him to the vet tonight just to get him checked over and make sure he doesn't have anything underlying going on in this time that is already hard for him.

Thank you for your words of support katty. Yeah she was so cute. i mean all of our bunnies are cute, but i really do feel like her face was something special. it will be greatly missed and never replaced.

Hi David,

I'm so sorry that you have lost Puff. My thoughts are with you and your wife.I lost my three precious buns last month within days of each other, so I can understand what you must be going through.

Cherish the lovely memories that you have, remember the happy times.

What a beautiful bunny Puff was. Binky free little Puff x

Thank you all for your words of support. jojosmum I'm so sorry to hear about your buns. that must have been so hard. we all hold a special place in our hearts for our bunnies and when they go that part of us shakes with the loss. That part of our heart will always belong to them even if it hurts to remember them. That's the price we pay to give them a life full of love and we accept that. One day i hope to remember her with fondness without wanting to cry so much but i will always be sad that her life was so short when it was so full of love. she deserved to feel that for many years rather than just the one she spent with us. but life isn't always fair. Christmas will be hard without her. We didn't put a tree up last year, we had not long moved in and we just got her earlier in the month so things were hectic. But we put one up this year. She loved to go and nudge it and chin the low hanging decorations and we have a little red and white shoe that we said was the bunnies version of a stocking. We have decided now that will forever be her decoration and having it one our tree will mean she is always around for Christmas. Even though she is up at the rainbow bridge playing with all the other buns it would be nice if honouring her like that would I've her a window to visit us and jump around the living room for a few minutes in spirit when ever she wanted. I would like if that was how it works and it does my heart good to think so. I think maybe she is keeping an eye on Atashi right now until we get him a new friend. He is a little down and I think she would watch over him for a bit until he is settled with someone new.

Thanks Mackers. Yeah she was beautiful. All buns of course are but look at that face. Look at the was she moved. She was so dainty and sassy. Just like with any other bun, there will never be another like her. I wrote her a little poem. Its probably kind of cheesy and likely not the best written thing due to the state I'm in but i feel like it helped me take a step forward. All of your messages are also helping. Talking to people who can understand this level of pain at losing one of my best friends means I know I'm not alone or strange for feeling so bad about her passing. Of course all the feelings of guilt still cloud my mind most days. Wishing i had seen something wrong sooner. wishing i had perhaps caught a weird bit of behavior and linked it to discomfort. But they are so good at hiding their pain. A double edged sword really. they don't want us to worry about them being in pain and hide it, but by doing so they put themselves in danger of a much worse fate because by the time they cant hide it it's so far along. Poor baby. But everyone has said I made all the right calls at the right times. Nothing else I could have done. But its hard not to think "if only i could go back in time just one week" or "I should have taken them to the vet every single week to have a full check over." Its hard, but you guys know that. once again thank you for all your words.

We have contacted a group who do really good work in our area called Fairly Beloved Rabbit Care. That's who we got puff from. Normally they shut down adoptions of this time of year to stop anyone buying the bunnies as a xmas gift, cos as well all know they are not gifts, they are life long partners and living creatures that need looked after. We were worried when we contacted them that they would tell us we would need to wait or perhaps be annoyed about what happened to puff. But they were very sweet and understanding. of course any rabbit owner knows how these things can happen and they understood the urgency to get Atashi a new friend. They have a suitable lady for him and with any luck we should be able to pick her up before the end of this week and start the bonding process. It will do our hearts good to see him light up again as he is such a friendly and caring little rabbit and this has all been so hard on him. he is doing so well still eating and even lounging out when we have him in the living room with us. He is clearly not himself but he is keeping on.

But nothing will ever replace his beautiful first little pal, the beautiful and precious Puff. One day he will meet her at the rainbow bridge and his heart will soar. Until then we hope to fill his life with happiness and more friends.

I emphasize totally to you. I am in a similar position myself currently and its just a matter of time that my bunny will pass very soon. I am very sorry for your loss and obviously your bunny was very well cared for and loved by you. That is all we can do in life is to give them a good home and you have done exactly that. Those are the words comforting me at the moment, and I hope it comforts you.

Back