• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training disaster

beckie20

Mama Doe
I really need some help before I kill my rabbit!

My rabbit has been living indoors for a couple of years now, and has always been quite good (ish) in terms of litter training - it's not unusual for him to poo outside the cage sometimes but weeing is rare.

Until a week ago. We moved the living room around, including his cage, and he's not wee'd in it once since, instead he now does it all over the sofa and armchair. I am now constantly cleaning up rabbit pee :censored:

I live at my mums still, so if I can't sort this in the next couple of days he'll have to go outside (hutch ready and waiting for him, but was supposed to go out in the spring), but I know it's getting a bit too cold for him to go out now :(

I just don't know how to make him stop! His cage is just the base of an indoor rabbit cage, I don't have the bars so can't even shut him in it until he wees in it to see if he re-learns the idea!

He sounds upset and stressed by his environment being changed dramatically.

You may only stop the unwanted behaviour by changing the room back to how it used to be.

Your other option is to get a puppy play pen and contain him to one area while he relearns to use his tray.
You'll need to neutralise the sofa and other undesired places in this time with white vinegar.

Eta: you could also maybe think about a vet check for urine infection but i really think its more behavioural in which case Pet Remedy may help to cope with stress of a room change.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back