• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange behaviour

Niklovesrats

Warren Scout
I got Rex the little black rex rabbit about a fortnight ago. He was starting to spray the other rabbits ..... think the bunch of boys were starting to annoy each other..... so he is home and indoors at the moment and he is very sweet and cute!!... BUT.... yesterday when I went to get him out he pounced at me..... Ive had this before with Ted!! didn't think about it too much but he has done it again today!!!! He definitely needs neutering but because his age has been estimated at approx 12 weeks they wont do it until the end of January, I don't really want him to become aggressive during that time... once out of cage he is absolutely fine!!!! Any advice???

I got Rex the little black rex rabbit about a fortnight ago. He was starting to spray the other rabbits ..... think the bunch of boys were starting to annoy each other..... so he is home and indoors at the moment and he is very sweet and cute!!... BUT.... yesterday when I went to get him out he pounced at me..... Ive had this before with Ted!! didn't think about it too much but he has done it again today!!!! He definitely needs neutering but because his age has been estimated at approx 12 weeks they wont do it until the end of January, I don't really want him to become aggressive during that time... once out of cage he is absolutely fine!!!! Any advice???

Do you have any other Rabbits ?

What sort of accommodation is Rex kept in ?

When you say you went to 'get him out', do you have to lift him from his hutch/cage to somewhere else? This can be quite frightening for rabbits and they can get territorial of their quarters.

When you go to get him to put him back, do you have the same reaction from him?

Generally vets will neuter boys once their testicles descend and they are over 1kg so it might be possible to come forward a couple of weeks and do it mid-Jan.

Otherwise, avoid putting him in a position where he might be aggressive and you'll avoid turning aggression into a learnt behaviour. So things like calling him out of the cage rather than putting your hands inside.

Hi, He is indoors in a rabbit 120 which is locked overnight, its on a morning when I open it but the last 2 mornings I have just let him come out on his own rather than get him out! I think he really does need neutering sooner rather than later as he goes around marking everything with his chin and he is what I could call possessive over me.... he always scrabbles at my clothes and urinates on me!!!! Nothing to do with just needing a wee cause he is litter trained so I think the hormones are raging!! My 2 girls are being done Monday then its just him and that's all 5 done!!!!

I wonder if he's perhaps a couple of weeks older than estimated. I imagine neutering will sort out the issue :)

Back