• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm worried about my rabbit's de-bonding?

NewStreetPhoto

Warren Scout
I had Ghibli bonded with Twinkle ✨ a few months ago. Ghibli's really close to me and I'm the only company he's had for three years. I'm bipolar and I'm not a massive fan of crowds, so I don't really leave my flat all that much, so he's spent basically 12 to 14 hours a day with me for the last 3 years. I was always worried that he was lonely so I had him bonded to a female rabbit, Twinkle ✨ so that he'd have someone to be with at night when I wasn't there. The problem is that he was bonded at the animal sanctuary where I got him from. The thing is that I've always been worried that when they bonded at the sanctuary Ghibli thought I'd abandoned him. Since he's been home Twinkle ✨ chases him arround but he spends way more time actually waiting for me to get up and stroke him. He's even started sitting in the exact same place he used to before I got Twinkle ✨ and they seem to spend less and less time together.

She's always been destructive, but she now spends most of the day inside boxes taking them appart, and I'm worried that she's becoming increasingly frustrated at his lack of reciprocation for her obvious advances [she chases him round the room, he runs away, she puts her head down and he grooms her, them walks away].

To make things worse a few weeks ago I had to give her worming medicine, which she hated. She's incredibly shy and hates being picked up, but the vet told me that I should give it to her orally, which was a massive mistake as she now also won't come near me.

Should I back off and not give Ghibli so much attention? Do I need to give them more space, or am I just being overly sensitive about the whole thing and there actually totally fine?

Thanks as always for help

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

The answer is I just don't know! Perhaps he feels his loyalty is to you or you are his daytime Mummy and now he has a wifebun for nighttime :D He sounds like a lucky bunny! Perhaps he's taking a long time to adjust or maybe he knows you got him a friend because you were worried he was lonely at night. I would just treat them as normally as possible and hopefully the 2 will bond closer and won't weant ypou around so much. The other point to make is rabbits are difficult to get out of a habit, so it could be he is so used to the routine with you he is stuck in it! Maybe someone will come along with a more sensible answer! :lol:

Thank you, actually that makes me feel loads better in a weird way. Maybe I just need to stop worrying so much and let them just be whatever they want to be instead of analysing them in terms of "rabbit behaviour"

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Back