• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preferred bonding method?

Lozzibear

Warren Scout
I was just wondering what everyone's preferred bonding method is?

I have always gone for putting them together in a small space, either a washing basket or box, and then gradually increase the space. However, I have watched some videos and read a few articles, that use a much larger space. I also limit the thing they have in with them, whereas some have litter trays, bowls and toys everywhere... it just got me wondering what the best way is? I guess a lot of it can be down personal preference and down to the rabbits themselves.

Also, how much nipping during bonding is to be expected?

I tend to use 25sqft of space. Small enough that they need to interact,but big enough that they can have a break.
I start with a couple dates, the go into putting them together in the neutral space at all time.

Always adjust it to suit the bunnies needs.

I tend to have multiple trays of hay, but no toys or high value food/treats.

Ultimately, there is no best way. There is just what works for the individual person and their buns.

The only thing I can imagine most will agree on, is that stress bonding is a technique best avoided. (I've used it but only in last resort/last attempt bonding situation).

In terms of nipping, if it's just the odd one and it doesn't break the skin I allow it. If it becomes persistent or causes actual bodily harm then it's stopped right away.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

As above, use whatever works! However, as a full-time worker who has to book leave purely to bond bunnies, I usually go for the small space, minimal 'stuff' method as it's often quicker than the 'large space, let them do it in their own time' method. I don't think either is better personally. The 'force them together' method is often only a few days of stress for the bunnies whereas letting them do it in their own time in a large space can be much less stressful but there is still some stress and for a much longer period. I have only once resorted to a carry cage in the car and that was in a very long drawn out bonding with a feisty doe and a nervous buck that eventually took around 3 months.

Mackers - I used the stress bond on the girls as their bond took just over 3 months too. Daphne was being a b**** ;)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I've done a lot of my bonds in my big shed (8 x 12) with a 20' run for daytime and they have taken between 1 and 3 days. I put a couple of litter trays down and they get lots of treats to get them both in a good mood.

The only bond we ever did was in a 6ftx6ft run in the garden. They bonded immediately, no problems at all.

Thanks everyone... It is hard to know what to do for best, as I do believe that different methods can work better in different situations but it is deciding what is right that can be hard. I wouldn't want to do anything that would ruin a potential bond... I am currently bonding a trio, using the small space method and today was a really good day. Only started last night, and my rabbit, Arnold, was nipping the new bun, Ludo. Today though was very peaceful, no issues and they all lay down together chilling... even had quite a few flops! I don't want to get excited too soon as it is still early days, but it is looking good...

That's sounding positive. In that situation I would just now increase the space VERY slowly by a few inches every hour or so. If there's no chasing or nipping then keep increasing until you can get to a reasonably sized 6ft-ish area and then stick to that for 24 hours. Once they've been good for 24 hrs in a largish space then you're usually good to increase further with no issues. But I find moving them to their permanent accommodation thereafter is always the next nailbiting moment :shock::lol:.

Back