• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Susan eating too much (not sure if this should be here or health...)

Kara

Warren Veteran
Right let me get this written down :lol:

When my guys had their VHD2 jabs back in the summer it was noted Shadow had lost weight, not lots and he was still healthy, Susan however had put weight on and I knew this, she eats everything in sight, nudges her way in to the pellets so I was scatter feeding and making a point of spreading the pellets between 2 bowls and scattering (they don't get heaps) she nudges her way in to whatever Shadow is eating, even if I put her in front of her own stash, as soon as I start moving away she gets in to his! She is actually quite nasty to him, he will be eating and she will groom and nip him whilst he is eating :shock: she eats some of his by pushing him out the way and then stops eating till he tries again, then she does it again :shock:

Now, should I separate them for the time it take for them to eat their pellets? She needs to lose weight as she is turning in to a chunk :roll:

They eat lots of hay so I know they are getting their hay goodness but I am worried about Shadow not getting enough *he will be at the vets this week, I have just emailed them!

He has lost more weight since the summer (more than the usual) and he seems a little wobbly on his back legs, so now with Susan nipping him and being a bit of a bully is stressing me out :(

They have unlimited good hay, herbs such as mint, fennel, coriander, parsley :thumb:

Last edited:
If the aggresion is only during feeding time I would suggest seperating them when feeding, this can be distressful though so make sure you keep an eye open that they both seem happy. Make sure you especially watch Shadow as you need to make sure he is comfortable eating away from Summer. If there is anyway they can be kept close but seperate during eating this can help make them both more comfortable, so for instance two runs close, or if indoors seperated by a baby gate etc.

I know this can be quite time consuming, I had a pair where one ate so slowly she just couldn't eat enough before her other half gobbled the rest, but in the long run you'll have to happier healthier buns so it's worth it :)

If the aggresion is only during feeding time I would suggest seperating them when feeding, this can be distressful though so make sure you keep an eye open that they both seem happy. Make sure you especially watch Shadow as you need to make sure he is comfortable eating away from Summer. If there is anyway they can be kept close but seperate during eating this can help make them both more comfortable, so for instance two runs close, or if indoors seperated by a baby gate etc.

I know this can be quite time consuming, I had a pair where one ate so slowly she just couldn't eat enough before her other half gobbled the rest, but in the long run you'll have to happier healthier buns so it's worth it :)

Thank you! Shouldn't be a problem time wise and I have a big wooden step that when tipped on the side separates their huge hutch!

It sounds like your boy has a health problem, losing weight and his back legs are wobbly. This is probably what is causing the bullying at feed time as your female detects a weakness in him and is taking advantage. The male could be suffering from EC but you really need to take him to your Vet to find out what is wrong with him.

It sounds like your boy has a health problem, losing weight and his back legs are wobbly. This is probably what is causing the bullying at feed time as your female detects a weakness in him and is taking advantage. The male could be suffering from EC but you really need to take him to your Vet to find out what is wrong with him.

Yep, that was in my post that he is to be seen this week. She has always been like it, 3 years now!

Right let me get this written down :lol:

When my guys had their VHD2 jabs back in the summer it was noted Shadow had lost weight, not lots and he was still healthy, Susan however had put weight on and I knew this, she eats everything in sight, nudges her way in to the pellets so I was scatter feeding and making a point of spreading the pellets between 2 bowls and scattering (they don't get heaps) she nudges her way in to whatever Shadow is eating, even if I put her in front of her own stash, as soon as I start moving away she gets in to his! She is actually quite nasty to him, he will be eating and she will groom and nip him whilst he is eating :shock: she eats some of his by pushing him out the way and then stops eating till he tries again, then she does it again :shock:

Now, should I separate them for the time it take for them to eat their pellets? She needs to lose weight as she is turning in to a chunk :roll:

They eat lots of hay so I know they are getting their hay goodness but I am worried about Shadow not getting enough *he will be at the vets this week, I have just emailed them!

He has lost more weight since the summer (more than the usual) and he seems a little wobbly on his back legs, so now with Susan nipping him and being a bit of a bully is stressing me out :(

They have unlimited good hay, herbs such as mint, fennel, coriander, parsley :thumb:

I will PM you Kara :wave:

If Susan is having an issue with putting a bit too much weight on, and Shadow the opposite, then I would definitely separate for feeding times. As you've seen bullying at feeding times it would explain her putting it on and him losing it xx

Hmmmm I think I might show aggression to my husband when he gets chocolate out :lol:

I hope your vet's appointment goes well tomorrow.

I have a similar situation. Out of my three, one needs to put on weight, one's just right and the other is on the chunky side. They won't eat separately if they can see each other. If I were you I would remove Susan and put the food down for Shadow. Then when there's about half left, I would return Susan so that they can finish the food together.

Good luck for that!

Thanks MM, he can spend the day in the warehouse at work!

I was worried about vets and getting home as it is an hour round trip but near my work, when they have their vaccs in the summer they spend the day in the meeting room running around but I didn't want Shadow getting too warm then put him back outside so it was either go to the vets, go home, go to work an be late (boss away though) or pop him in the warehouse which will be same as outdoor temperature :lol: I'll take some run panels and settle him in for the day :thumb:

Thanks MM, he can spend the day in the warehouse at work!

I was worried about vets and getting home as it is an hour round trip but near my work, when they have their vaccs in the summer they spend the day in the meeting room running around but I didn't want Shadow getting too warm then put him back outside so it was either go to the vets, go home, go to work an be late (boss away though) or pop him in the warehouse which will be same as outdoor temperature :lol: I'll take some run panels and settle him in for the day :thumb:

Very inventive! Gives him a change of scene for the day. And plenty of food :D

Back