• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fraser Fir Tree - safe?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
We got a real Christmas tree :)

Just wanted to check I'm right to assume the tree itself is safe and the thing to worry about would be if it's been treated with anything?

Thanks x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi dp
Same I got one today and I am wondering the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've had a good dig around.

A fraser fir is rabbit safe. Just ensure its not been treated with pesticides/fire retardant etc.

The needles are fairly soft, so risk of GI injury are lower than with some other pines.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

On a slightly related note if anyone has fake trees (or specifically fake snow) please be careful - my vet posted on their facebook page a warning about cats and fake snow, apparently it's highly toxic to them. I'm guessing it would be the same for bunnies. Someone nearly lost their cat after she licked the fake snow on the George flocked tree, she couldn't walk, was dribbling and her eyes went funny. She had to be on a drip overnight.
I don't know a lot about them myself as I don't do christmas but just thought it was worth passing on in case for those that do. If it's toxic enough to do that to a cat just from a lick I wouldn't let a rabbit near it (or any other animal for that matter)

Back