Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little Man 13,5 incredible yrs

Mama Doe

What a long and wonderful life.

Binky free Little Man xx
    My special bunnies, Gabriel Honeybunny and Mabel Flump (NWRR).
    Sleep tight my precious Noo, darling Spring, handsome BJ, beloved Rosie, fluffy man Herbie, little poppet Hollie and wee Bobbin xx

so sorry that you have lost Little Man, but what a wonderful long life ! Binky free Little Man xxxxxx
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm so sorry Binky free handsome Little Man xx

Lots of beautiful buns available for adoption at Acomb Rabbit Rescue

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Check out my band!: Void Ship Captains

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Nice to hear from you again Hoppla

What a wonderful lifetime Little man had
    Thanks Mighty Max. I will post pics and write more about him when I have time.
    13.5 yrs is such a long time it is like losing a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppla View Post
    Thanks Mighty Max. I will post pics and write more about him when I have time.
    13.5 yrs is such a long time it is like losing a dog.

I totally understand.
    I have had rabbits live this long (and longer) and it's such a bereavement as they've seen so many life changes (for me anyway).

Hope you're OK xx

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I totally understand.
    I have had rabbits live this long (and longer) and it's such a bereavement as they've seen so many life changes (for me anyway).

Hope you're OK xx
    I am fine, although even though he was so old and it was to be expected, he was in perfect health until the last week of his life.
    For some stupid reason I almost expected him to live forever. Obviously rationally I knew he wouldn't, but he kind of always seemed to have been a part of my life.

The worst thing was he didn't want to go. It took 2 injections and 75 minutes for his heart to stop beating.
    His teeth went in the end and none of my vets wanted to operate him cos he was so old and in the end I thought by syringe feeding him I was not being fair to him so I was convinced that having him pts was the kind thing to do even though he was still full of life.
    The vet who pts him did say that age is not a reason for him to not operate and that he would have risked it and operated him.
    So I am still not sure if I made the right decision.

Wise Old Thumper

I am so sorry Little Man had to go, he must have been made of iron! My Mother was similar, strong but in the end doubly incontinent and just didn't want to go on like that. It took a while for her to pass! So maybe, if you could have asked your bunny what he wanted, he might have said he wanted to go because he didn't want to go on being syringe fed.

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    I am so sorry Little Man had to go, he must have been made of iron! My Mother was similar, strong but in the end doubly incontinent and just didn't want to go on like that. It took a while for her to pass! So maybe, if you could have asked your bunny what he wanted, he might have said he wanted to go because he didn't want to go on being syringe fed.
    I am sorry to hear you lost your mother. Some people are very strong and proud.

I grew up with dogs and cats and when they got ill for some reason I found it a lot less stressful.
    Whereas when there is something wrong with the rabbits, it is an entirely different story.

Probably because vets know so little about them and because they communicate their illnesses a lot less, so it is more difficult to diagnose and decide what is the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppla View Post
    I am fine, although even though he was so old and it was to be expected, he was in perfect health until the last week of his life.
    For some stupid reason I almost expected him to live forever. Obviously rationally I knew he wouldn't, but he kind of always seemed to have been a part of my life.

The worst thing was he didn't want to go. It took 2 injections and 75 minutes for his heart to stop beating.
    His teeth went in the end and none of my vets wanted to operate him cos he was so old and in the end I thought by syringe feeding him I was not being fair to him so I was convinced that having him pts was the kind thing to do even though he was still full of life.
    The vet who pts him did say that age is not a reason for him to not operate and that he would have risked it and operated him.
    So I am still not sure if I made the right decision.

At the time you felt it was the right thing to do, so please don't beat yourself up with regrets. Grief comes with the guilty feelings and you've nothing to be unsure about, in my opinion.

You did him an absolute kindness, and I believe as you did, that at that age an operation wouldn't be in his best interests.

Love and hugs xx

Warren Scout Maddy and Alfie Nibbles's Avatar

Thinking of you today. What an age to reach and a life lived.