• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little Man 13,5 incredible yrs

Hoppla

Alpha Buck
Little Man Feb 2003 - August 2016

After 13,5 incredible yrs and not one day of illness I had to put little man to sleep.
He was the most intelligent incredible rabbit.
One of my favorite memories of him:
I was sitting on the sofa got up to go to the kitchen to get a cuppa, when I could see from the corner of my eye how he rushed over and jumped on the sofa, as I was almost through the door.
While in the kitchen I was trying to remember if I had had something edible in my pocket that could have fallen out, but no there was nothing. Anyway, I proceeded to make myself a cuppa.
When I returned to the living room, I found little man extremely proud of himself, surrounded by empty wrapping papers of a pack of Lockets sugar free.
He had managed to eat half the pack.
( please do not ever feed your rabbit sweets!)
Because they were sugar free, about. 2hrs later he got diarrhoea, which luckily passed as soon as the lockets had passed though his system.

Little man thank you for an incredible 13.5 yes, you were a truely awesome rabbit.

He is the black and whip in my signature.

Last edited:
Sounds like Little Man was an incredible little lop. And what an incredible age to reach! I'm so sorry for your loss, but you'll have so many memories to treasure. xxx

He must have been one of the healthiest & happy buns ever to reach such an age & never get ill. I'm sorry he has gone :( Sweet dreams little man xx

What a long and happy life he must have had! I'm sorry he's gone, I hope you have lots of happy times to recollect. I love the tale about the lockets, what a cheeky bun :D

He obviously had a wonderful, happy and healthy life. I am sorry you had to let him go.

Binky Free Little Man xx

so sorry that you have lost Little Man, but what a wonderful long life ! Binky free Little Man xxxxxx

Thanks Mighty Max. I will post pics and write more about him when I have time.
13.5 yrs is such a long time it is like losing a dog.

I totally understand.
I have had rabbits live this long (and longer) and it's such a bereavement as they've seen so many life changes (for me anyway).

Hope you're OK xx

I totally understand.
I have had rabbits live this long (and longer) and it's such a bereavement as they've seen so many life changes (for me anyway).

Hope you're OK xx

I am fine, although even though he was so old and it was to be expected, he was in perfect health until the last week of his life.
For some stupid reason I almost expected him to live forever. Obviously rationally I knew he wouldn't, but he kind of always seemed to have been a part of my life.

The worst thing was he didn't want to go. It took 2 injections and 75 minutes for his heart to stop beating.
His teeth went in the end and none of my vets wanted to operate him cos he was so old and in the end I thought by syringe feeding him I was not being fair to him so I was convinced that having him pts was the kind thing to do even though he was still full of life.
The vet who pts him did say that age is not a reason for him to not operate and that he would have risked it and operated him.
So I am still not sure if I made the right decision.

I am so sorry Little Man had to go, he must have been made of iron! My Mother was similar, strong but in the end doubly incontinent and just didn't want to go on like that. It took a while for her to pass! So maybe, if you could have asked your bunny what he wanted, he might have said he wanted to go because he didn't want to go on being syringe fed.

I am so sorry Little Man had to go, he must have been made of iron! My Mother was similar, strong but in the end doubly incontinent and just didn't want to go on like that. It took a while for her to pass! So maybe, if you could have asked your bunny what he wanted, he might have said he wanted to go because he didn't want to go on being syringe fed.

I am sorry to hear you lost your mother. Some people are very strong and proud.

I grew up with dogs and cats and when they got ill for some reason I found it a lot less stressful.
Whereas when there is something wrong with the rabbits, it is an entirely different story.

Probably because vets know so little about them and because they communicate their illnesses a lot less, so it is more difficult to diagnose and decide what is the right thing to do.

I am fine, although even though he was so old and it was to be expected, he was in perfect health until the last week of his life.
For some stupid reason I almost expected him to live forever. Obviously rationally I knew he wouldn't, but he kind of always seemed to have been a part of my life.

The worst thing was he didn't want to go. It took 2 injections and 75 minutes for his heart to stop beating.
His teeth went in the end and none of my vets wanted to operate him cos he was so old and in the end I thought by syringe feeding him I was not being fair to him so I was convinced that having him pts was the kind thing to do even though he was still full of life.
The vet who pts him did say that age is not a reason for him to not operate and that he would have risked it and operated him.
So I am still not sure if I made the right decision.

At the time you felt it was the right thing to do, so please don't beat yourself up with regrets. Grief comes with the guilty feelings and you've nothing to be unsure about, in my opinion.

You did him an absolute kindness, and I believe as you did, that at that age an operation wouldn't be in his best interests.

Love and hugs xx

Back