• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fluffy struggling to move

Dave81

Mama Doe
Fluffy is struggling at the moment to move her entire left side appears to be giving way when she does attempt to move, she's been propping herself up using skirting board to move in the area she's made a home at.

I've put down hay and water in this area for her as that's at the other side of the room and I doubt she would make it.

She was off her food last night so was syringe fed and given zantac, this morning was no change so was fed again and given zantac, I thought she might of been off balance then but didn't get long with her as had to get to work so I may be wrong there.

I came home at lunch to check on her and hit her with the front door as didn't know she was directly on the other side hunched up. She did appear to be off balance then but I thought it was just the shock of been hit by the door. Anyway she was fed and given Zantac again and I rang the vets who told me to bring her in straight away, was seen within 5 mins of calling. She's been examined and was given gut stimulant to take home with me, didn't mention I'd hit her with door as wasn't really showing signs of struggling with movement.

Got home after work to find she's no different still not eating and now struggling to move, I'm assuming I injured her with the door but could just be coincidence as I'm slightly convinced she's was struggling before this.

I'm still syringe feeding her every 3 hours since I got home at 4 pm and now leaving her until about 0330 to try get me some sleep and her peace and quiet.

Any ideas what else could be causing those kind of mobility issues? I've checked her all over she doesn't respond to been probed in her left side so don't think she's injured from the door. Will be getting her back down to vets tomorrow for further tests, just keeping get comfortable for now.

Bless her :( I can't really offer much advice, I'm sure that there are many reasons that this can happen. It could be some sort of trauma or maybe neurological? My boy Hiro lost mobility and kept falling over when he had his inner ear infection. Does she appear to be in any pain?
I hope that you get some answers in the morning xx

Is she on any Medicam? It can help both pain and inflammation. The vet may give her some antibiotic if an ear infection is suspected as it can be painful which can make a rabbit not want to eat, plus it would impact balance.

If she able to drink by herself? You may need to get fluids into her.

Sending you and Fluffy positive vibes for the vets tomorrow.

Not seen her drink but then again I've only been visiting her to syringe fed her, didn't want to sit in same room as her as she is a bit wary of me today as every time she sees me I've got a syringe.

The feed is liquid based so she's getting it that way at least, will see what vets say in morning

Bless her :( I can't really offer much advice, I'm sure that there are many reasons that this can happen. It could be some sort of trauma or maybe neurological? My boy Hiro lost mobility and kept falling over when he had his inner ear infection. Does she appear to be in any pain?
I hope that you get some answers in the morning xx

No signs of pain other than the way she usually acts when goes off her food, she doesn't ready when I have checked her left side either, would expect something from her I suppose if was something causing pain there to affect her hopping about

Not seen her drink but then again I've only been visiting her to syringe fed her, didn't want to sit in same room as her as she is a bit wary of me today as every time she sees me I've got a syringe.

The feed is liquid based so she's getting it that way at least, will see what vets say in morning

Dave, so sorry to hear this :(

How old is Fluffy? Could she have had a stroke?

As you know, there's several reasons for this kind of thing ...

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=490&S=5

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/neurological/c_rb_paresis_paralysis

I don't know whether any of these will ring a bell with Fluffy

Really wishing you all the best Dave and good luck for the vet xx

Sending vibes for Fluffy, I hope the vets can give some answers as to what is wrong xxx

Keep seeing signs of been alert and wanting to do more it's just for some reason her body doesn't want to react to what she's trying to get it to do. Syringe feeds are keeping her topped up at least, keep hoping when I go down in few hours she'll be racing around but that's asking too much I think.

Dave, so sorry to hear this :(

How old is Fluffy? Could she have had a stroke?

As you know, there's several reasons for this kind of thing ...

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=490&S=5

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/neurological/c_rb_paresis_paralysis

I don't know whether any of these will ring a bell with Fluffy

Really wishing you all the best Dave and good luck for the vet xx

Fluffy is 5 and something years old, looking at the links it could really be anything, I'll just keep her fed and medicated until we get to vets and hope for the best outcome

Fluffy is 5 and something years old, looking at the links it could really be anything, I'll just keep her fed and medicated until we get to vets and hope for the best outcome

Yeah it's really hard. When that kind of thing has happened to my rabbits, my 'rabbit savvy' vet hasn't had a clue. I hope you get a few suggestions .. it must be really difficult to diagnose without a battery of (possibly invasive) tests.

Fluffy is struggling at the moment to move her entire left side appears to be giving way when she does attempt to move, she's been propping herself up using skirting board to move in the area she's made a home at.

I've put down hay and water in this area for her as that's at the other side of the room and I doubt she would make it.

She was off her food last night so was syringe fed and given zantac, this morning was no change so was fed again and given zantac, I thought she might of been off balance then but didn't get long with her as had to get to work so I may be wrong there.

I came home at lunch to check on her and hit her with the front door as didn't know she was directly on the other side hunched up. She did appear to be off balance then but I thought it was just the shock of been hit by the door. Anyway she was fed and given Zantac again and I rang the vets who told me to bring her in straight away, was seen within 5 mins of calling. She's been examined and was given gut stimulant to take home with me, didn't mention I'd hit her with door as wasn't really showing signs of struggling with movement.

Got home after work to find she's no different still not eating and now struggling to move, I'm assuming I injured her with the door but could just be coincidence as I'm slightly convinced she's was struggling before this.

I'm still syringe feeding her every 3 hours since I got home at 4 pm and now leaving her until about 0330 to try get me some sleep and her peace and quiet.

Any ideas what else could be causing those kind of mobility issues? I've checked her all over she doesn't respond to been probed in her left side so don't think she's injured from the door. Will be getting her back down to vets tomorrow for further tests, just keeping get comfortable for now.

Poor Bunny. The symptoms you describe could possibly be attributed to either EC or a bacterial middle ear infection. Both conditions effect the vestibular system and cause 'loss of balance' amongst other possible symptoms

http://stfrancisanimalandbird.com/i...-mammal-care/88-vestibular-disease-in-rabbits

I would try to get Fluffy back to the Vet ASAP this morning. If you have to go to work then it may be a good idea to ask the Vet to admit Fluffy as she is likely to need constant care and monitoring at the moment.

Sending lots of vibes for her x

Thanks all she's a bit quicker at moving this morning but still unstable and wobbling about, she had now flopped out I think she's had enough of trying to move at the moment!

She's still passing poo so that's good, the vets open at half past so can ring then.

I'm on a half day today plus I brought the laptop home so I'm sat on the sofa now watching her

Thanks all she's a bit quicker at moving this morning but still unstable and wobbling about, she had now flopped out I think she's had enough of trying to move at the moment!

She's still passing poo so that's good, the vets open at half past so can ring then.

I'm on a half day today plus I brought the laptop home so I'm sat on the sofa now watching her

Hope the Vet can help, sending lots more vibes xx

Had appointment at 0910 she's showing signs of head tilt, Fluffy has been given a steroid and antibiotic injection, going back tomorrow for further checkup.

Vet doesn't think it's anything major as she's already starting to get better compared to yesterday.

I'm adapting the room so she doesn't have to jump into litter tray etc etc

Glad to hear she's still passing poo and you can be with her today to keep an eye x

Does your vet suspect ear infection?
If Fluffy is tilted then I'd suggest asking your vet for a 28 day course of Panacur when you go back tomorrow to cover EC Xx

Back