• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

BRC Breeders Charter

Possibly, I have no knowledge of the case so am in no position to comment. We can only assume that they are registered with the BRC, but someone may call themselves a professional breeder and not be registered with the BRC, unfortunately it is exceptionally diffucult to police every pet owner's activities with their pets, we can only offer guidelines, and instigate laws, and hope people follow them, and if we feel that someone is doing something wrong that the correct authorities are contacted so the necessary action can be taken.

Louise, the only way to find out definitively how BRC enforces their guidelines/rules/code of practice is to ask them. You could go round in circles for ever here dissecting the information but the only way to find out is to put them on the spot and ask them the direct question. I am sure we would all be very interested to know the answer. :)

Lizzie said:
Louise, the only way to find out definitively how BRC enforces their guidelines/rules/code of practice is to ask them. You could go round in circles for ever here dissecting the information but the only way to find out is to put them on the spot and ask them the direct question. I am sure we would all be very interested to know the answer. :)

As mentioned in my last post I have already contacted them and wait there response. :)

Louise

I'm very impressed with the booklet the BRC have kindly sent me titled 'Getting Started in Rabbits', I think its excellent! I'll quote you a few bits and you'll see what I mean.

The very first subject is commitment which mentions food, grooming, time cost, holiday care and that bunnies can live 8-10 years.

On where to get a rabbit it goes on to mention "the local branch of the rspca oor other rescue shelters often have rabbits in need of loving homes".

It goes on to explain what the signs of ill health are in a baby rabbit and the minimum age you should get one from.

Advice on handling and housing, feeding, vaccinations....

On breeding it says "think very carefully before you breed from your rabbit....a litter can be between 2 and 9 so make sure you have good homes for all the babies. You need a larger hutch...consider the added cost..... Bringing new life into the animal kingdom needs careful and responsible consideration. If you seriously want to breed from your rabbit we advise you to get in touch with a breeder and discuss in depth whats involved. Never mate a doe and hope for the best as complications can arrise."

A very good introduction for new members in think :D

Tamsin

i think that is an EXCELLENT introductions for new BRC members Tamsin :D , at least the BRC is pushing these points, but unfortunately it is very difficult to ensure everyone follows them to a tee. :?
At least the information is readily available for those who seek it :D

Now who can say that this is worse information than Pet shops give their customers/future bunny owners :?: I for one did not get any information when I got my first rabbit(s). Not even told what food they were on.

Where as breeders (the majority) try to find out a little about you & where their rabbit is going. Eg asking how big a hutch, any other rabbits, first time owner etc.

The breeders I have bought off have been wonderful, showing me pictures over the internet, advising me what they like/dislike. All 3 breeders I have got rabbits off have been 200-400 miles away, and I have travelled down there to see the conditions, then met up maybe a few weeks later when they were ready to go (10 weeks). I was given pro-biotics to ease stress, a huge bag of their own food, information, pedigrees! What more could one ask for!!!!

Just my opinion but I feel it's better to know what you are getting & from whom than just to buy a pet shop rabbit at 5 weeks :roll: :?

xxx

The brc has made rules for members to adhere to in the best interests of the rabbits, they cannot of course keep an eye on whot everyone is doing.If you were caught or reported as flowting these rules you could be expelled from the BRC this would mean you would not be able to whow your rabbits anywere. This to me is the ultimate deterrent to breaking the rules. As for showing rabbits that are to young you would not get away with it because any judge worth his salt would throw it off [ not literally] the table. The best age is about 3 mths when they have a decent coat, and you wont get comments from other breeders saying should be with its mum. Their are a great many experienced breeders at shows who woult let you know if you were not doing the right thing. I applaude the brc for being about the only people trying to lay down some rules for the keeping and showing of rabbits. val

lol at Bob, I'm sure i recognise your style, did you by any chance once visit the brc forum?? :wink:

Yvonne

bunnyhuggger said:
Hmmmmmmmm if I remember rightly the BRC forum had to close down due to major disagreements within the ranks :roll: :?

The BRC forum closed down for a number of reasons. Contrary to popular belief I was not a member of that forum for months prior to it's closing. Sadly the closure of that forum was not of my making - such a shame :lol:

I'm sorry to say I have yet to receive a response to my email to the BRC.

Does anybody know how often they check email or how reliable there email system is?

Louise

Have you tried phoning them up? Thats the easiest way, they were happy to answer questions and popped the bits of paper I asked for straight in the post
:D

Tam

I dont like to use the phone at the best of time's as I'm deaf and wear hearing aid's.

It's a bit hit and miss really whether or not I will hear somebody and its awfuly embarassing when I dont, so I tend to stick to email or pen/paper for unfamilar phone calls if possible. :D

Might try sending them a letter thou the snail mail.

Louise

Hi Louise,

Perhaps explain this on your email to the BRC?

I know they are very helpful whenever you speak to them at the office on the phone, but i know they do get anti-breeders or politically minded BRC members that complain to them on occasion so maybe it is best to either write to them or get someone to telephone them directly?

PS.They are a very busy office so this may explain the delay.

Back