• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thermal foil sheets for keeping buns warm... Or self heating blankets....

Jellybean

New Kit
So instead of purchasing a self heating blanket I'm thinking of saving some money and buying a few foil/silver thermal sheets, like the ones in first aid boxes and putting them inside a blanket and sewing it up, instead of buying a self heating blanket.... Much cheaper and the foil must be the same as that used in the self heating blankets. The theory is the same... It's a silver material that reflects the bunnies heat back at them. Does anyone else use the silver foil sheets?

I use a large sheet of silver foiled bubble wrap. I stapled a broom handle across the bottom and hang it over the front of one of my hutches. The other hutch has a double sheet of acrylic in front. I've just taken this pic of the bubble wrap.
DSC_0220.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So instead of purchasing a self heating blanket I'm thinking of saving some money and buying a few foil/silver thermal sheets, like the ones in first aid boxes and putting them inside a blanket and sewing it up, instead of buying a self heating blanket.... Much cheaper and the foil must be the same as that used in the self heating blankets. The theory is the same... It's a silver material that reflects the bunnies heat back at them. Does anyone else use the silver foil sheets?

Yes I have made some of those self-heating blankets :wave:

Thank you I will look for some silver sided bubble wrap. I will also make some silver self heating blankets ��

Thank you I will look for some silver sided bubble wrap. I will also make some silver self heating blankets ��

Thumps on here had a great idea to put snuggle safe pads under the self heating blanket for extra toastiness, and I've been doing that. It's gone down very well these cold nights :D

We have used sheets of foil to hang down the front of the hutches under the covers at night instead of bubblewrap this year as good quality bubblewrap in affordable rolls of the right width was very hard to find. And we put a layer on the underside of the roof too. We also used foil bubblewrap over the rest of the hutch instead of the normal stuff. None of the water bowls in the hutches with it on froze last week so it seems to be working well.

I would hesitate to use it on a blanket that might get chewed though. We cover the covers with wire when the rabbits seem inclined to chew the bits they can reach. Hopefully twisting their necks around in order to chew the underside of the roof won't be possible.

Back