Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Selene and Elphie- ud metacam for Se

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by tlcwrites View Post
    I saw Sacha (vet) today. 4 more of my girls (Iris/Arce/Athena/River) have now had their RVHD2 vaccine done. Feels good to have vaccinated them all now. Anyhow, I brought up Selene as intended. Sacha agrees that although metacam functionality is affected by the liver, as we're in palliative care stages for Se, it's more important to keep her pain free and use the metacam. I also queried about the milk thistle and she said that although the evidence is sketchy at best, it can't hurt to try at this stage.
    I hope that Selene will remain as well as possible and that she can be content within herself. The Inspector really liked Milk Thistle, mind you there was not much that he didnt like really !

“Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.”
    ~ Judy Garland

I saw Sacha (vet) today. 4 more of my girls (Iris/Arce/Athena/River) have now had their RVHD2 vaccine done. Feels good to have vaccinated them all now. Anyhow, I brought up Selene as intended. Sacha agrees that although metacam functionality is affected by the liver, as we're in palliative care stages for Se, it's more important to keep her pain free and use the metacam. I also queried about the milk thistle and she said that although the evidence is sketchy at best, it can't hurt to try at this stage.

Yes I am glad your vet approved the use of Metacam. I see no virtue in withholding and leaving a bunny potentially in pain.

Regarding Milk Thistle - introduce gently as it can cause quite a reaction if too much given too quickly

Good luck and thinking of you xx

I'm so sorry about Selene, it's very sad. I hope that the medication can keep on top of any pain and that you both get some more time together. It's good she has Elphie for company too. As you know we have Buffy and Sydney inside together for the foreseeable, which is making such a difference to his wellbeing x

Sorry to hear about your bunny. Hope you can share some nice times in the time she has left x

Little Ted and Rosie

Warren Veteran

Thinking of you and Selene. I hope she can remain comfortable for a long time.

Se is fairly bright tonight, compared to yesterday. Although she and Elphie currently have restricted space, I feel like being indoors is the best fit for them right now. I'm still very worried about her but I will be now til she's gone. My poor black beauty. I've also ordered the milk thistle extract, the one you recommended, Jane. I hope Se likes it as much as the Inspector did. How do I go about giving it to her and dosing it? I will start slow, of course.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:
    Bunnies: Elphie & Selene, Helios & Morningstar, Athena, Erasmus & Rivergrace, Persephone & Morpheus, Arce & Iris
    Cats: Brannigan, Nyssa, Zara, & Ajali
    Tortoise: Aurora
    Gone, but not forgotten: Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Bee, Takumi "Little Bit", Apollo "Polly Poodle"

T. L. Cowell - Author & Freelance Writer
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on these darling characters.

Quote Originally Posted by TheThreeB's View Post
    I'm so sorry about Selene, it's very sad. I hope that the medication can keep on top of any pain and that you both get some more time together. It's good she has Elphie for company too. As you know we have Buffy and Sydney inside together for the foreseeable, which is making such a difference to his wellbeing x
    Company is important. Unfortunately, the quad has been separated down one of the less natural pairs. Morning was/is devoted to Elphie, and Helios and Selene have been close since before I got them. Luckily, it was always a very easy and loving group regardless, but I can't have all 4 of them in. At least both sets have company though. It makes me feel less guilty, like I'm sure you'd feel over Theo. I'm so glad that Sydney is responding so well to Buffy's companionship. It can make all the difference in poorly buns.

However long she has is as long as she has. I don't want her to suffer, especially as there is no getting better. But it's so hard to make that judgement. I'm questioning myself all the time now. I'm hoping that the metacam and milk thistle will make her comfortable. Selene looked so relieved when she got her metacam this afternoon. I didn't want to give it earlier because I needed to speak to her vet first. But still, I'm continually wondering. I haven't been in the position to question euthanasia for a long while. My most recent passings (Lelantos onwards) have all been ones where the bun has taken the decision out of my hands...
    Last edited by tlcwrites; 06-12-2016 at 07:38 PM.
    Owned by:
    Bunnies: Elphie & Selene, Helios & Morningstar, Athena, Erasmus & Rivergrace, Persephone & Morpheus, Arce & Iris
    Gone, but not forgotten: Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Bee, Takumi "Little Bit", Apollo "Polly Poodle"

TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on these darling characters.

Wise Old Thumper

Se is fairly bright tonight, compared to yesterday. Although she and Elphie currently have restricted space, I feel like being indoors is the best fit for them right now. I'm still very worried about her but I will be now til she's gone. My poor black beauty. I've also ordered the milk thistle extract, the one you recommended, Jane. I hope Se likes it as much as the Inspector did. How do I go about giving it to her and dosing it? I will start slow, of course.
    I gave Morse his in a bit of Blackberry Tea. I cant remember the dose though. It was my Vet who advised me to give it to him. He had abnormal liver function results from a blood test but thankfully the U/S of his liver was fine and his Liver Function returned to normal.

“Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.”
    ~ Judy Garland

Yes it sounds like being inside is going to be good for them both at the moment.

Good luck ongoing

Selene was a bit flat when I got up this morning. I fed her and Elphie some dried forage. Elphie fell into it as if she'd been starved, but Se was having none of it. I shared a banana with her, but she'd soon had enough of that. However, when I gave them both some carrot tops, she and Elphie both went nuts. I don't know if my mum had popped some food into them when she left for work, which was only about half an hour before I went downstairs. If she did, it might explain why she was uninterested in the dried forage. As, as well as unlimited hay, Elphie and Se are getting unlimited dry forage too.

This whole thing just breaks my heart. But, I don't think she's had enough yet. At the moment, I think she's as comfortable as she can be, but maybe even being fussy because she knows she'll get away with it. That I'll cave and get her the tastier noms, just because of who she is. Equally, though, I don't want her life to be completely and utterly miserable when I make the decision. This isn't easy. Whoever said "You'll know when it's time," should be hung, drawn, and quartered. It's not that easy. And I'm so sorry to anyone who I've said "you'll know," to in the past. Sometimes it is that easy. Other times, it really really isn't.
    Owned by: