Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Selene and Elphie- ud Elphie vet verdict :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I am sorry to read this Did the Vet suggest a Liver biopsy to differentiate between a tumour and an abscess. The latter could be treatable with aggressive abx therapy. Or maybe giving abx anyway in the hope that it could be an abscess ? Not sure if any of your Rabbits have had Snuffles/Pasteurella ? Pasteurellosis in a colony can give rise to Liver abscesses. Maybe I am clutching at straws though xx
    She's far too thin to survive surgery (has lost 400g since August, when she had her rhd2 vaccination) for a biopsy and seemed quite sure it's not abscessation. I have a new sneezy bun (another vet saw Iris and said she has an allergy to something), who is seeing the same vet, tomorrow, but Selene's issue predates her arrival. Before then, I've had no pasturella buns. Thank you for trying to think up solutions. Tomorrow, I'm going to ask about metacam/emeprid treatment to keep her comfortable for the time she has left.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:
    Rabbits: Elphie & Morningstar, Helios & Selene, Athena, Erasmus & Rivergrace, Persephone & Morpheus, Arce, Yuki, & Niji
    Cats: Brannigan, Nyssa, Zara, & Ajali
    Tortoise: Aurora
    Guinea Pigs: Delta & Epsilon (Epsie)
    Gone, but not forgotten: Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Bee, Takumi, Apollo, Iris

T. L. Cowell - Author & Freelance Writer
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcwrites View Post
    She's far too thin to survive surgery (has lost 400g since August, when she had her rhd2 vaccination) for a biopsy and seemed quite sure it's not abscessation. I have a new sneezy bun (another vet saw Iris and said she has an allergy to something), who is seeing the same vet, tomorrow, but Selene's issue predates her arrival. Before then, I've had no pasturella buns. Thank you for trying to think up solutions. Tomorrow, I'm going to ask about metacam/emeprid treatment to keep her comfortable for the time she has left.
    If she is not actually in pain then Metacam may not be a great idea as it is metabolised by the Liver and it's use is contraindicated if there is a compromised Liver function.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00C.../Meloxicam.htm

Milk Thistle may be somewhat supportive of Liver function

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...lk-thistle-pdq

Maybe you could ask your Vet about giving it to Selene ?

I have used this one

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/natures-a...d-extract-30ml

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    If she is not actually in pain then Metacam may not be a great idea as it is metabolised by the Liver and it's use is contraindicated if there is a compromised Liver function.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00C.../Meloxicam.htm

Milk Thistle may be somewhat supportive of Liver function

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...lk-thistle-pdq

Maybe you could ask your Vet about giving it to Selene ?

I have used this one

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/natures-a...d-extract-30ml
    Ah, can't say I'm surprised about metacam. I'll ask about milk thistle tomorrow. Thanks!
    Owned by:
    Rabbits: Elphie & Morningstar, Helios & Selene, Athena, Erasmus & Rivergrace, Persephone & Morpheus, Arce, Yuki, & Niji
    Gone, but not forgotten: Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Bee, Takumi, Apollo, Iris

TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

I think you're right to think about palliative options. Quality of life (in my view) far outweighs prolonging a sad existence and for that reason I believe having pain relief to be essential. I have had a rabbit with liver tumours, and I gave Metacam for pain and it certainly meant that he ate for England right up until the day he decided to leave!

I also put him on Milk Thistle but sadly that didn't help him. Hopefully you can find some solution you feel happy with

Ah, can't say I'm surprised about metacam. I'll ask about milk thistle tomorrow. Thanks!
    That's OK. I hope that she can remain as comfortable as possible.

Good luck at the vets xx

I'm so sorry sending lots of vibes xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Mama Doe

I am sorry it wasn't better news I hope you have some nice time together yet xxx

Thank you Deelove for my signature!

Make 2015 in 2015 ~ 144.49

Se's a little brighter this evening. I think having her and Elphie Flump inside for the winter is definitely the best idea for them, even though it has meant splitting up the quad. She and Elphie (my underweight nearly-7-year-old Lop) can now benefit from unlimited food and some alfalfa hay without the fear of overfeeding Morning and Helios. I hope those 2 won't miss the girls too much, but I can at least draw comfort from the fact they have each other.

Hopefully Selene'll stay brighter for a good while, but I do know it is literally taking each day as it comes.
    Owned by:

I saw Sacha (vet) today. 4 more of my girls (Iris/Arce/Athena/River) have now had their RVHD2 vaccine done. Feels good to have vaccinated them all now. Anyhow, I brought up Selene as intended. Sacha agrees that although metacam functionality is affected by the liver, as we're in palliative care stages for Se, it's more important to keep her pain free and use the metacam. I also queried about the milk thistle and she said that although the evidence is sketchy at best, it can't hurt to try at this stage.
    Owned by: