• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Selene and Elphie- ud Elphie again

Thank you all.
I hope you can too :)

It's helping her a lot, isn't it? x

It does. Yesterday her behaviour without it went very un-Selene. She was stamping and running away from me. Day before, she chased Elphie, quite aggressively. (Elphie is dominant.) She calmed down with it, so I'm certain pain was making her grouchy.

Elphie just goes full of beans with metacam. She acts like a rabbit at least half her age. I'm used to her needing it more frequently as it really helps Elph maintain weight. But that's the thing - the issues with both these girls are very different.

I've had bad news re: Iris, but we do also have some good news with these 2. Elphie is doing so well that I've decided to take the plunge and book her in for her RHD2 vaccine (Selene was done prior to noticing her illness.)

She also has another story up her sleeve, but that was too good to tell here. I'm afraid you'll just have to hop on over to 'Your Stories and Photos'

:)

I've had bad news re: Iris, but we do also have some good news with these 2. Elphie is doing so well that I've decided to take the plunge and book her in for her RHD2 vaccine (Selene was done prior to noticing her illness.)

She also has another story up her sleeve, but that was too good to tell here. I'm afraid you'll just have to hop on over to 'Your Stories and Photos'

:)

Just did :lol:

Selene has been weighed at the vets. She's 2.47kg, little chunk. Not bad for a bun with a liver tumour!

Elphie is just over 2kg and at her ideal weight. She's in fantastic shape for a 7 year old bun. :love: I'm glad we made the decision to vaccinate her against RHD2 now she's in better shape.

Selene has been weighed at the vets. She's 2.47kg, little chunk. Not bad for a bun with a liver tumour!

Elphie is just over 2kg and at her ideal weight. She's in fantastic shape for a 7 year old bun. :love: I'm glad we made the decision to vaccinate her against RHD2 now she's in better shape.

Having just heard about more confirmed RHD2 cases, you made the right decision :)

I need to book Elphie in for her 6 month health check. I don't always use the rabbits' health checks as it's unnecessary stress for them. But I don't think Elphie's on a high enough dose of metacam now. She still has an incredible zest for life and charms everyone - and I mean everyone - she meets. But there's a little sharpness, keenness, and I don't know Elphie-ness, missing. I think her hearing is going a little too. I don't know.

Just, it's better safe than sorry. :/

I need to book Elphie in for her 6 month health check. I don't always use the rabbits' health checks as it's unnecessary stress for them. But I don't think Elphie's on a high enough dose of metacam now. She still has an incredible zest for life and charms everyone - and I mean everyone - she meets. But there's a little sharpness, keenness, and I don't know Elphie-ness, missing. I think her hearing is going a little too. I don't know.

Just, it's better safe than sorry. :/

I agree. I don't take mine for regular 6 monthly health checks, but with at least two lots of vaccinations now (still haven't decided whether to do RHD2 twice a year) they do get health checks pretty regularly.

Selene and Elphie are both lovely rabbits and all things considered seem to be doing pretty well. I hope the vet can judge whether Elphie needs more Metacam.

Elphie Flump is booked in for Tuesday with our favourite vet. :thumb:

...who we sadly had to see today because Alpha piggie lost his will to live after a prolonged illnes. :( :cry:

The vet called Elphie an "old lady". At 7 years 3 months. Bless her.

She's in decent shape, but has lost 200g. (Selene the porker has too, but Se had weight to spare. :roll:) So Elphie is back to being a little on the skinny side at 1.8kg. Her gut motility is fine, no strange lumps or bumps. Her teeth are ok - good for a lop - as always. She has one slight molar spur, which she's had since she was 3 or so, and it's never put her off eating. So the risks of a dental still outweigh the benefits. However, having described her as being a little less mobile and not quite so adventurous, we've decided to up her metacam dosage from 0.4ml to 0.8ml (of the dog metacam.) Basically, she's probably just getting a little arthritic in her old age. Bless her, we've been together for more than 7 years now. :love:

So all's well for these guys. And I'm relieved.

The vet called Elphie an "old lady". At 7 years 3 months. Bless her.

She's in decent shape, but has lost 200g. (Selene the porker has too, but Se had weight to spare. :roll:) So Elphie is back to being a little on the skinny side at 1.8kg. Her gut motility is fine, no strange lumps or bumps. Her teeth are ok - good for a lop - as always. She has one slight molar spur, which she's had since she was 3 or so, and it's never put her off eating. So the risks of a dental still outweigh the benefits. However, having described her as being a little less mobile and not quite so adventurous, we've decided to up her metacam dosage from 0.4ml to 0.8ml (of the dog metacam.) Basically, she's probably just getting a little arthritic in her old age. Bless her, we've been together for more than 7 years now. :love:

So all's well for these guys. And I'm relieved.

My vet calls Tan an old lady at 7 years 9 months :) She also has Metacam to help with a little bit of Arthritis.

I think there's something beautifully serene and calm about elderly does.

I'm glad they're both doing reasonably well :D

My vet calls Tan an old lady at 7 years 9 months :) She also has Metacam to help with a little bit of Arthritis.

I think there's something beautifully serene and calm about elderly does.

I'm glad they're both doing reasonably well :D

Aw, Tan is only 6 months older than Elphie. :D

However, there's beautifully calm and serene elderly does... and then there's Elphie. She's hyperactive and boisterous - especially after metacam. :lol:

Just as the vet was about to leave to get the orthoscope from another room, she jumped straight back in the carrier. The vet said she's still got all her faculties. When she was properly done she divebombed into my chest - front feet on my shoulder, back legs around my abdomen. She's always done that and often, she's vaccinated in that position. Wouldn't change her for the world. :love:

Aw, Tan is only 6 months older than Elphie. :D

However, there's beautifully calm and serene elderly does... and then there's Elphie. She's hyperactive and boisterous - especially after metacam. :lol:

Just as the vet was about to leave to get the orthoscope from another room, she jumped straight back in the carrier. The vet said she's still got all her faculties. When she was properly done she divebombed into my chest - front feet on my shoulder, back legs around my abdomen. She's always done that and often, she's vaccinated in that position. Wouldn't change her for the world. :love:

Aha, I see :) Elphie sounds adorable :love: Tan's only hyperactive when she decides that the mounds of hay are not in the correct place and moves them to where she wants them to be :D

Yan, the buck, is 7 years and 3 months. He's more boisterous :D And so far, touch wood, doesn't seem to have any problems with his joints.

Selene is back at the vets at 4.30 today.

...it's RHD2 time again. A couple of months after, we discovered the tumour. It's been nearly a year now. She's doing well, but retracting into herself and away from humans a bit.

Helios will be joining her, and vaccinated with Filivac too. Like Se, I don't think he's as young as we were told. :( He really looks like a little old man - the moult's not helping!

Morningstar's due too, so she and Elphie will also be going for the ride. Elphie is meandering along as always. A proper little old lady, albeit a very outgoing one too.

Se is doing great. She's forgiven me for 'dumping' her back outside (and reuniting her with her One True Bun, Helios.) If you didn't know otherwise, you'd think she was a fine figure of health.

Elphie meanwhile. Hm. She's still full of beans and full of love. She's still naughty as ever. Still eating and drinking like a star. Still bossing Morningstar around. But she's started snoring and her breath is a little heavier. I'm acutely aware she is not a young bunny anymore but equally is it just she's always snored... and because I'm spending more time in the dining room now that I've only just noticed...? She's due her Nobivac soon, but if anything else changes, she'll need to see the vet sooner. Just making a note of it, I guess.

I'm hoping it's just the fact that you're spending more time in the dining room and not anything more serious developing with Elphie.

Se is doing great. She's forgiven me for 'dumping' her back outside (and reuniting her with her One True Bun, Helios.) If you didn't know otherwise, you'd think she was a fine figure of health.

Elphie meanwhile. Hm. She's still full of beans and full of love. She's still naughty as ever. Still eating and drinking like a star. Still bossing Morningstar around. But she's started snoring and her breath is a little heavier. I'm acutely aware she is not a young bunny anymore but equally is it just she's always snored... and because I'm spending more time in the dining room now that I've only just noticed...? She's due her Nobivac soon, but if anything else changes, she'll need to see the vet sooner. Just making a note of it, I guess.

Lovely to hear your update x

Elphie - yes keep an eye, you'll know if and when she needs a doctor's visit :)

I will be in touch soon xx

Thank you all. When I fed the rexes this evening, Selene's coat had a wonderful shine to it. She's the best she's ever looked with me, even prior to her tumour being discovered.

Elphie's in fine fettle today. She hasn't needed metacam for a while, but still keeping an eye (and ear) open for her breathing. She definitely looks her age now and it's really quite sad. I've already told her she has to live forever. :(

MM - no rush, but if you need to talk, you know where I am. xxx

Back