• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Selene and Elphie- ud Elphie again

I know too well the heartbreak of this situation, and what a roller coaster it takes you on every day. This forum really was a huge support guiding me through it (it makes me well up thinking of it and everyone's kindness even now a year later). Thinking of you and Selene xxx

Thank you all. It makes me feel like my heart is bursting with love, thanks to the support you are all giving Selene and I.

She's having another good day. :)

Some photos-

P1070838_zpscoqusjor.jpg

P1070834_zpsmyjhettt.jpg

P1070841_zpsy9qimwdr.jpg

P1070846_zpsx8yponf3.jpg

P1070836_zps6ky1b6jp.jpg

Once my OH's moved his tools from the dining room, the girls will have some more permanent space inside. I'm giving them regular run arounds (or ponder arounds, as the case may be!) and even more regular top ups of food!

They're gorgeous and it looks like a wonderful feast they have there.

When you reflect on things, Selene and Elphie do not know that they are not in the best of health. It's sadly you who must bear the burden of this knowledge. They will just feel very secure, very loved and enjoying their life (and food) at the moment. That's really not a bad situation to be in.

Sending lots more hugs.

They're gorgeous and it looks like a wonderful feast they have there.

When you reflect on things, Selene and Elphie do not know that they are not in the best of health. It's sadly you who must bear the burden of this knowledge. They will just feel very secure, very loved and enjoying their life (and food) at the moment. That's really not a bad situation to be in.

Sending lots more hugs.

Perfectly worded Omi :)

The girls look very content xx

Thank you all. It makes me feel like my heart is bursting with love, thanks to the support you are all giving Selene and I.

She's having another good day. :)

Some photos-

P1070838_zpscoqusjor.jpg

P1070834_zpsmyjhettt.jpg

P1070841_zpsy9qimwdr.jpg

P1070846_zpsx8yponf3.jpg

P1070836_zps6ky1b6jp.jpg

Once my OH's moved his tools from the dining room, the girls will have some more permanent space inside. I'm giving them regular run arounds (or ponder arounds, as the case may be!) and even more regular top ups of food!

They look beautiful together :love:

Their coats are shiny and their eyes and manner relaxed. They are obviously so happy and secure where they are with you.

Thinking of you xx

Thank you.

Elphie's a little wobbly today. Selene is pretty stable. Both have eaten well this morning. (Dandelion, dead nettle, chickweed, grass, all fresh!) so that's good.

My milk thistle extract arrived today. I've tried doing some research and it seems to imply the recommended final dose is 140mg/kg in rabbits and dogs. Based on my maths, I think the eventual dose should work out at approx 1ml per day for Selene. She's about 1.5kg now. Would starting a dose of 0.1ml a day be suited for Se?

Elphie was feeling a little under the weather this lunchtime. Decided to give her some metacam. Selene kept trying to steal the syringe whilst I was medicating Elphie. Greedy rex. :roll:

Also - anyone know if what I think about the milk thistle sounds right...?

So I gave Selene 0.1ml of milk thistle - she took it like an absolute pro. Seems to love it already. (Jane, if you read this- clearly the Inspector was onto something!) However, like Se trying to steal Elphie's metacam, Elph tried to steal Se's milk thistle! In the end, I gave her a 0.1ml dose too. I figure it can't do her any harm either, considering both have signs of severe underlying symptoms in spite of content appearances on the exterior. Like Selene, Elphie wanted to steal the syringe!

Elphie is making me worry a bit though. She was breathing very fast and heavily, but lying down with her hocks exposed. I've put a summer cooling pad inside their cage just in case she is overheating a bit. The dining room is cooler; I'll be glad when they can be moved in there...

I'm giving this one at the moment to Amber guinea pig, as a bit of an experiment. http://www.bodykind.com/product/6961-natures-answer-milk-thistle-seed-30ml.aspx The vet has told me to give her 0.3 ml twice a day, which is quite a high dose.

That's the same one I bought. :) I've started the dose at 0.1ml, will keep it there for a couple of days, then do 0.1 twice daily and so on, until I reach a similar dose for them. Thank you for the guideline- I hope Amber piggie is really benefitting from it. :)

I'm pleased that they both like the Milk Thistle. I would think starting her off at 0.1 ml sounds sensible, if you're supposed to start off at a low dose and then increase, but I have no experience of it. Sending lots of vibes for Elphie.

I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles with Selene :( I've had milk thistle prescribed before along with lactulose. Again lactulose is one of those things you have to be careful with, because too much can really upset the guts, but at the right dose, it sucks toxins like ammonia out of the blood so it supports the liver while it's struggling. I've used milk thistle capsules, and have mixed a capsule in with about 30ml of lactulose and then draw up the right dosage each day. From memory, I was giving Jeremy about 0.3ml of the mixed solution twice a day and he was about 600g at the time. I'm not sure how that would translate to the product you've got, but hopefully it will help her to stay happy and comfy for as long as possible.

Yes I think that's quite a high dose too, for such a small animal :)

But I haven't used that brand before, so suppose I can't comment really. I guess your vet has experience of these things Sarah?

I don't know really. You never can tell with vets and guinea pigs! But it was from an exotics vet, so I have to just go with it.

I started at 0.1, then 0.2 and am now at 0.3.

That's the same one I bought. :) I've started the dose at 0.1ml, will keep it there for a couple of days, then do 0.1 twice daily and so on, until I reach a similar dose for them. Thank you for the guideline- I hope Amber piggie is really benefitting from it. :)

What do you think of the smell of it? I've rarely smelled anything quite so horrible! Amber isn't really much of a fan of it either.

Back