• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Selene and Elphie- ud Elphie again

I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles with Selene :( I've had milk thistle prescribed before along with lactulose. Again lactulose is one of those things you have to be careful with, because too much can really upset the guts, but at the right dose, it sucks toxins like ammonia out of the blood so it supports the liver while it's struggling. I've used milk thistle capsules, and have mixed a capsule in with about 30ml of lactulose and then draw up the right dosage each day. From memory, I was giving Jeremy about 0.3ml of the mixed solution twice a day and he was about 600g at the time. I'm not sure how that would translate to the product you've got, but hopefully it will help her to stay happy and comfy for as long as possible.

Thanks Santa, that's good to know. My vet recommended this combination for a poorly rabbit of mine, but wasn't sure of the dosage as all compounds of milk thistle vary.

What do you think of the smell of it? I've rarely smelled anything quite so horrible! Amber isn't really much of a fan of it either.

My nose is a bit blocked up so I can't smell much atm. Sounds like a slight blessing in disguise. Elphie and Selene both act as if they've never had anything tastier. My stepdaughter (she's 7) asked me, 'why do the rabbits LIKE taking their medicine??' yesterday. :lol:

Elphie and Selene are both doing ok. Se's marching on as always. They are both a bit bouncier now. Both managed to jump on the couch yesterday. That was out of the question a couple of days ago. Elphie is still breathing a little more rapidly than I'd like, but loves the cool pad. Of course, this is at the time of year when everyone else is worrying about snugglesafes.

My nose is a bit blocked up so I can't smell much atm. Sounds like a slight blessing in disguise. Elphie and Selene both act as if they've never had anything tastier. My stepdaughter (she's 7) asked me, 'why do the rabbits LIKE taking their medicine??' yesterday. :lol:

Elphie and Selene are both doing ok. Se's marching on as always. They are both a bit bouncier now. Both managed to jump on the couch yesterday. That was out of the question a couple of days ago. Elphie is still breathing a little more rapidly than I'd like, but loves the cool pad. Of course, this is at the time of year when everyone else is worrying about snugglesafes.

Really good to hear they are doing well :)

Just moved the girls from the lounge to the dining room. Hopefully this will help with Elphie's overheating. I'm not as concerned about Selene overheating: her belly is still bare from her spay. She was spayed in March. :shock:

The girls have learned that every time someone walks past them, they'll probably get something to eat. :roll:

Selene's put some weight back on! This is not a drill!

I mean okay, she still looks and feels terribly bony, but she also feels a little more robust too. I'm so happy! :)

But also, I was clipping her claws today and caught the quick. I feel bad but it's so easily done, especially with a black rabbit. I've put some flour on it though.

I mean okay, she still looks and feels terribly bony, but she also feels a little more robust too. I'm so happy! :)

But also, I was clipping her claws today and caught the quick. I feel bad but it's so easily done, especially with a black rabbit. I've put some flour on it though.

Very good news that Selene has gained a little weight. I have fallen foul of black nails on quite a few occasions, despite being ultra careful x

Glad to hear that Selene has gained weight :)

Re black nails - you probably already know this, but shining a torch underneath helps you to see the quick.

Glad to hear that Selene has gained weight :)

Re black nails - you probably already know this, but shining a torch underneath helps you to see the quick.

I didn't know that! I'll bear it in mind next time I need to clip darker claws. Thanks for the tip. I love this place- everyone is so good here. And I'm hugely grateful for the support me and my poorly girls are getting. :)

That's excellent news that Selene has gained some weight :D I'm very sure that both she and Elphie have appreciated the increase in rations too.

Elphie's been looking and feeling a little chunkier lately. Intrigued, I popped her on the scales and she came up at 2.1kg. :shock: She hasn't been above 2kg since she lost Galinda (Jan 16- it's near the anniversary of her death.) Even though they only bonded late in Galinda's life, they had always lived in sight of one another. Losing her sister had such a profound effect on Elphie. And, if G hadn't died, I'd never have got Selene (and Helios.)

In a roundabout way, basically I'm saying I'm pleased that Elphie is finally back to her optimal weight after a year of worry. :lol:

Well done with Elphie's weight gain :D I am pleased that they both seem to be stable at the moment.

Elphie's been looking and feeling a little chunkier lately. Intrigued, I popped her on the scales and she came up at 2.1kg. :shock: She hasn't been above 2kg since she lost Galinda (Jan 16- it's near the anniversary of her death.) Even though they only bonded late in Galinda's life, they had always lived in sight of one another. Losing her sister had such a profound effect on Elphie. And, if G hadn't died, I'd never have got Selene (and Helios.)

In a roundabout way, basically I'm saying I'm pleased that Elphie is finally back to her optimal weight after a year of worry. :lol:

Really good to hear this!

Selene and Elphie escaped their temporary enclosure tonight. Cheeky minxes. Anyway, Mum gathered up Selene, said she felt bigger too. Popped her on the scales - she's also reached 2kg. :shock: Her bone-to-flesh structure still looks wrong, but still! I may be able to keep her with me for some time yet. :)

We do however also need to rejig their barracks and give them more space in light of this though.

Elphie and Selene now have the whole dining room.

I think Elphie's lost weight again. She's going through a horrendous moult too.

But today also happens to be her 7th birthday. (And Selene and Helios celebrated their 1st gotcha day earlier this month - but their gotcha day is the day after Galinda's death anniversary. :( ) So I bought and gave them some treats. March last year, I honestly didn't think she'd make it to 7.

Still take each day as it comes for these 2, but they are both still very happy in themselves.

Just thought I ought to write an update on these 2 as Iris has a thread of her own now too.

Back