• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Comfy flooring / bedding for indoor rabbits?

Casco

Mama Doe
I have tried various things for the bunnies to sleep on but the 2 boys like to destroy whatever I give them. Have tried a nice soft pet bed - that was dug at and peed on, a carpet type runner - had to remove as they started to destroy it, same with other types of mats or rugs I've tried. Blankets just get up all bunched up and peed on although they are otherwise perfectly litter trained. Is there anything else I can try? They do actually like to lie on something soft but they also like to destroy it! I've given them the chill & chew mats before but they use these more as a destructible toy rather than sitting on them. They have had no issues so far with everything they've destroyed - they don't actually eat it, but I'm aware that there is still lots of potential for it to cause stomach issues so I'd like to try to find a safe alternative. My girl love she her comfort and is not involved in the destruction so I do feel a bit sorry for her that she's not getting the luxury she deserves :lol:

Carpet off cuts?
I don't offer anything to the girls... they have carpet to lay on of they can lay in one of their trays of hay.

We do have towels in their hutch (they are indoors) but they only really go in there for their water bowl.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

They definitely destroy carpet, but I've not tried rubber matting yet - would that be cold for them to lie on or is it ok inside? I came across rugs from ikea which I'm thinking of trying as they are made from sisal although I suppose £15 is quite a lot to pay when the likelihood is they'll destroy them! They did have a doormat which survived maybe around 8-9 months with just a little bit of 'customisation' but any others I've tried since they have actually made holes in around the edges.

I bought them another ikea dolls bed yesterday from gumtree so I'm also going to try putting both beds in their pen with blankets on, their current bed isn't in the pen at the moment. They haven't been too destructive with the blanket on their existing bed, they just nibble away at the bed! I do give them willow sticks etc to chew on but they like to have a nibble at everything and anything.

Just a thought, but how about cheap carpet tiles, the pile is very short, so no digging. You could take individual ones up for cleaning if they got peed on.

Yes I might try those, I use some for my foster bunnies outside and they haven't nibbled them. I think if I could somehow cover the edges that would help.

I must be blessed with my buns, they've had comfy beds in their hutch for a week and haven't even chewed them. ;) I bought them from my local discount shop for a £1 each. I have them in the guinea's hutch, but the rabbits commandeered them, so I had to get them their own! :lol:

Back