• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt

My headtilt bunny didn't have any problems with the down eye so I would just keep an "eye" on it. She doesn't look too bad at all so fingers crossed she will return to normal soon. Thank goodness she is still eating. :thumb: btw I love your blanket!

Do i need to look after her eyes in any way? Obviously i cant look out for her every second, i assume lying on her eye can cause problems.
Artificial tear drops maybe?
Food wise, she is eating her hay and greens but ignoring nuggets

Yes you're right - if necessary artificial tears (possibly viscotears gel) can be very beneficial. Only if needed though - may not be necessary in her case.

I wouldn't worry about ignoring the pellets. Rabbits seem to know what they need when the chips are down, so let her choose. Veg and hay is more healthy as a diet anyways :D

Strange that she is off her nuggets and yet still stripping bark off a tree branch, that surely would hurt more.
Right, I am going to leave you lot in peace for a few hours.
Cheers all x

Going off pellets seems to be a regular thing with tilty buns. It was the first thing that Hiro went off and lots of people seem to say the same thing!

Strange that she is off her nuggets and yet still stripping bark off a tree branch, that surely would hurt more.
Right, I am going to leave you lot in peace for a few hours.
Cheers all x

I always think a rabbit knows better than we do what's good for them (given the right healthy choices, of course!)

Going off pellets seems to be a regular thing with tilty buns. It was the first thing that Hiro went off and lots of people seem to say the same thing!

If ear pain is an issue then crunching pellets can exacerbate the pain. The Inspector always went off his pellets when he was having a flare up of his chronic ear disease xx

Sending more vibes for Dixie. I think that rabbits tend to try to eat what they feel they need and so the stripping of the tree bark will be what Dixie feels is right for her at the moment. It will also help with her digestion and so I would provide enough for her to strip away as she feels able. Bark stripping is also an enriching activity for a rabbit and in my view will provide a good distraction for her at the moment.

Thanks for the vibes.
During the night I was woken twice by thumping, Dixie first time then Pixie. Tiggy my pusscat had come in and was sitting quietly watching them.
So, this morning Dixie was on her front, head pretty much erect. Yesterday it was still drifting down at rest, so now she can hold it in position.

IMG_1230_zpshjre9vx8.jpg

Bark just about devoured, hay was empty, kale heavily moistened by me was gone...despite a am top up.

IMG_1231_zpsgvabmsoh.jpg

Pixie stayed in with her again last night, very heavy frost, but had spent the day outside.
Oh well, vets for advice in half an hour.
Xxx

Pixie not impressed that I took her pic without doing her hair and tdying her room

IMG_1234_zpsio6ip5gy.jpg

Last edited:
The little face on that. How dare you not do the ladys hair and boudoir before picture taking, :lol: You just cant get the staff pixie. Im glad Dixie has had a good night. x

Thanks for the vibes.
During the night I was woken twice by thumping, Dixie first time then Pixie. Tiggy my pusscat had come in and was sitting quietly watching them.
So, this morning Dixie was on her front, head pretty much erect. Yesterday it was still drifting down at rest, so now she can hold it in position.

IMG_1230_zpshjre9vx8.jpg

Bark just about devoured, hay was empty, kale heavily moistened by me was gone...despite a am top up.

IMG_1231_zpsgvabmsoh.jpg

Pixie stayed in with her again last night, very heavy frost, but had spent the day outside.
Oh well, vets for advice in half an hour.
Xxx

Pixie not impressed that I took her pic without doing her hair and tdying her room

IMG_1234_zpsio6ip5gy.jpg

Haha she could well feature in my book on disapproving rabbits!

Good luck for today xx

Popped into the vets, she is back there on thursday morning..this will be our normal vets not the emergency service we went to on saturday, although its in the same practice group

Its not fun is it when panic mode sets in?
Done lots of reading, taken on board peoples views on here.
Our local petshop is run by a near neighbours daughter in law, chatting recently before all this, she said talk to her father in law if need advice as he used to breed rabbits. His advice was to save on vets bills and he knows how to dispatch sick/unwanted bunnies. Breeders have a different attitude I guess.
Websites vary from persevere to eurhanise as soon as possible.
Mmmmm

Our local petshop is run by a near neighbours daughter in law, chatting recently before all this, she said talk to her father in law if need advice as he used to breed rabbits. His advice was to save on vets bills and he knows how to dispatch sick/unwanted bunnies. Breeders have a different attitude I guess.
Mmmmm

There is never a 'one size fits all' and whether to persevere with treatment and for how long can only be judged on an individual case basis. A holistic approach taking into account not only the Rabbit's physical welfare but also their psychological welfare. Some Rabbits can cope with a lot of hands on care/vet visits etc...etc. Some cant and become terribly stressed. From what you have posted about Dixie so far I'd say that she's a million miles away from you needing to even think about PTS.

Yes, some Breeders do have a very different take on keeping Rabbits. Some see their Rabbits as 'stock' as opposed to Pets/companions. They will want to minimise the amount of money they need to spend on their stock. Having said that there are Breeders who do care , although I admit they are in the minority.

Mmmmm

Sometimes too much info can be worrying. I hope you'll find a compassionate and empathic stance by most members on here. Ultimately I think you will be able to judge when 'enough is enough'.

I fiind observing quality of life day to day the only way to plan ahead. But then I don't plan ahead much!

My background of operating theatres has to some extent coloured my views. Drs, surgeons and indeed vets can only do so much. Most recovery is down to an individuals motivation, just as some humans give up on life then I am sure some animals do as well.
So.....
I have put them both in their run for an hour or so. It is no good for either of them to just lounge about, Dixie seems to be hopping pretty well to be honest, just the odd slip. Pixie is doing binkies. Trust me on this one, with muscles it is use them or lose them, far more good having room to roam, room I haven't got safely indoors.
I am not a total fool on this, if I didnt think it was safe I wouldn't do it. Basically its just the bare run with nothing to climb on today, just room to stretch their legs

Thanks for the vibes.

IMG_1230_zpshjre9vx8.jpg

IMG_1231_zpsgvabmsoh.jpg

Has Dixies's ear dropped on her left side? Or is it just that photo? Xxx

It is the photo, i double checked for you. Ears where they should be and angling around, in the second pic her ears are upright back to back. Her head tilt today is roughly 5 degrees compared to 40 degrees when I found her on Saturday, she is running in a straight line. Lost balance once on my bed this morning and once outside, but it was a stumble not a complete flip. One difference is when at rest she is holding head posture, yesterday it would gradually start to sink to the left and then she would straighten up. Saturday she could barely raise her head. I am talking rotational not up and down.

Back