• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

anyone had their rabbit snorting not sneezing

cpayne

Warren Veteran
I don't think doughnut is ill but for the last week or so she's sort of been snorting through her nose every so often. It's not a sneeze it's like when we would blow our nose she sometimes then shakes her head a bit. Not sure how to describe it. When she had a respiratory infection and was sneezing it didn't start off like this. Just curious really.
I've just looked over and she's just done a flop so she's not suffering!

I don't think doughnut is ill but for the last week or so she's sort of been snorting through her nose every so often. It's not a sneeze it's like when we would blow our nose she sometimes then shakes her head a bit. Not sure how to describe it. When she had a respiratory infection and was sneezing it didn't start off like this. Just curious really.

Bobbie used to snort but she had lots of scar tissue in her upper respiratory tract due to a previous severe infection. I have known Rabbits with ear problems to snort too. So it may be worth getting Doughnut checked over.

That's interesting. I'll keep an eye on her and pop her to mark next week if it doesn't stop. It's not all the time and she's happy but don't want her going downhill if I can nip it early

As you say, definitely keep an eye on it :)

One of mine began doing something a bit like that, and I gave echiinacaea for a few days until it went away. I know the reason though - stress made the immune system depleted.

That's interesting. I'll keep an eye on her and pop her to mark next week if it doesn't stop. It's not all the time and she's happy but don't want her going downhill if I can nip it early

I expect Mark will be pleased to see one of his favourite Bunnies !

I forgot you were with Mark - lucky bunneh :wave:

Yes I am lucky. Hopefully he'll be pleased unless she nibbles his Webcam
she did have a dirty bum early so had to pick her up for a clean now she won't come near me. Going to have trouble getting her in the carrier. I'm in Sunday all day so I can have a good listen out to see how often she does it.

I am glad you are keeping on top of her condition. You may want to observe to see if she does this more while she is eating or while she is cleaning herself.
It may be nothing to worry about, but I agree with your having your vet give her a check just to make sure it is not the early stages of something else.

Mimzy has always been a bit of a snorty bun, and he also has nasal scar tissue. Hoping this is all it is for lovely Doughnut. :love: (Glad to hear Mark will be on the case if needed. :) )

*ahem* Btw...I notice there's a disturbing lack of photos of the wee lass on this thread... *ahem* ;)

When she had a respiratory before she made a snorting sound when eating. She's only doing it when she's lying down going to sleep. Like she's blowing her nose!
Sorry for lack of photos. I'll add one of her on Monday as can't do it on my phone. She still looks the same. Full of cuteness :)

Doughnut is :love: one of my favourite RU buns.
Just to say that Benjie does this occasionally, & I'm convinced he's blowing his nose. Although he's a "snuffles bun" it's remarkably well controled, The "nose blow" is dry & not a sign of relapse & I've assumed he'd got something like a whisp of moulted fur in his nose. (Benjie's fur gets everywhere including the ceiling!)

Back