• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Slim bunny

Amelia

Alpha Buck
Hi

I'm just looking for advice on how much a mini lop 2 year old female should weigh (approx) as I got my buns from a breeder who had used her for showing and breeding but didn't want her anymore. She wasn't overly fat when we got her, but since being neutered (2 months ago)she has lost quite a bit of weight even though she is eating normally. She's not overly skinny but she is now quite a bit smaller than my other bunny (a dwarf lop - again I'm not sure which is the bigger breed but she was bigger when we got her) and her backbone is quite prominent.

She also has a lot more active life since when she was a show rabbit so this may be a contributing factor to her weight loss but I just want to double check.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!

A mini lop is smaller than a dwarf lop and should weight approx. 1.5kg. If her spine is prominant and she has lost weight then she sounds under weight. What are you feeding her?

It would be a good idea to have her checked out by a vet for underlying problems that could cause her to loose condition such as teeth problems.

Tam

slim bunny

Thanks for the comments, they have a selection of food - Super Excel, Wagg Bunny Brunch and another one I get from the pet shop which I can't remember the name of. She also has plenty of greens, carrots and hay.

I will try and work out how to put a photo up of her.

Re: slim bunny

Amelia said:
Thanks for the comments, they have a selection of food - Super Excel, Wagg Bunny Brunch and another one I get from the pet shop which I can't remember the name of. She also has plenty of greens, carrots and hay.

I will try and work out how to put a photo up of her.

If you email me the photo, I will put it up for you.
andrea.harding@nice.com

Hi there,

I have also been worried about having a "slim" bunny, he used to be a bit of a lardy but he's on the thin side now. Last year, Charlie a dwarf lop weighed 2.5 kg and now he has gone down to 1.8 kg: I have been desperately trying to fatten him up but don't seem to be getting anywhere. My vet said not to worry to much as long as he doesn't lose any more, which he hasn't, and he is pooping OK. I separate him from the "wife" at meal times now cos I think she was a bit of a gannet but he seems to be quite a slow eater, bit of a grazer - has a bit then a rest and comes back for more but, of course, with her eating it up, he hadn't been able to do that. I also give him a few rolled oats to bolster him up which he snaffles like nobun's business.

I also have a mini lop: he was weighed last month but I can't remember how much he was - I could ring the vet to find out if you like?? :D

Hi

Thanks for all the responses, I weighed Tigs (the "slim" bunny) last night and she is approx 1.3kg which I think is just under the recommended weight. She may just be a naturally "slim" buns as she is always on the move and has a much more active lifestyle than before when she was kept in a fairly small hutch without a run.

I'll try her on a few rolled oats though as I think I would be happier if she was a bit heavier.

I think I am just a bit of a worrier when it comes to the bunnies! :D

Oooooh! Join the club on the worrying stakes!!!! One slight change of habit and it's "oh my god, you're not well"!!!! Do try the oats though cos not only will they help to fatten her up but most buns really enjoy them too - Charlie doesn't even let me tip them into his bowl, he starts eating them out of the scoop!!!! :wink:

Back