• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny Eye - Questions

ShirleyGirl

Young Bun
Hello,

This is my first rabbit and I'm learning a lot, but I'm a bit stymied on this.

My rabbit was born in May last year and was kept outdoors. I got him in September, had him neutered and continued to house him outside. He has a hutch with an attached run. Every afternoon, our family goes out into our large fenced yard to play with the dog and we let the bun free range in the yard till dinner time. He loves it.

Around Halloween, I was concerned for his safety and brought him in the house and litter trained him. I had several large dog cages that were wired together to make a nice roomy cage. Every morning he went out to his hutch/pen and we continued letting him out in the yard in the afternoon, back in the house at dinnertime. Until I got sick with allergies (throat swelled, cough, headache). I realized he must go back out and since he was only in for about 3.5 weeks, was out all day every day, I figured no problems. It hasn't been that cold here. One night dipped into the 20's, but most days 50's, evening 30/40's. I keep my house at 62 so no really big changes. His hutch has a closed nest box lined with several layers of cardboard and hay a foot deep. He should not be cold.

Today I see his eye is a bit runny. No sneezing that I noticed, no nasal mucus, but his nose is a little red if I pull it up. Nothing to see if I don't do that. I started him on colloidal silver and GSE drops in his water. I'm going to get chamomile tea to bathe his eye this afternoon.

Thing is, he is frantic in that run now, trying to get out. When he does, he's up on my deck. I really believe he wants back in, except when he's loose in the yard :) I read that stress can bring on snuffles. I can maybe move the dog cages to the basement, but I'm not sure that I will be able to tolerate him in the house at all.

Does anyone think that is what may have happened?

Thanks for input!!

ShirleyGirl

Sometimes when a rabbit has a watery eye he has something in it, perhaps a hay seed. It would be best for a Vet to have a look and remove anything in his eye. It doesn't sound like he has Snuffles. He isn't sneezing is he?

Thanks for answering, tonibun.

No, no sneezing, no trouble breathing and no mucus. His eye is not watering at all now, just looks a bit red. I am bathing it with chamomile tea and honey and using an abx ointment. It looks much better already. Maybe he poked himself with hay.

I think neither of us is happy with him being outside now and I am fretting way too much, worrying about his well being. My husband is having a hip replacement this week and I need to calm down!

I still bring him in for 1/2 hour cuddles twice a day - rabbit, not hubby :)

Keep an eye on his eye as if there is something in there it can lead to an ulcer, so best to get it checked out really unless it has cleared up. Did you know that bringing a bunny in to a warm atmosphere then taking him back outside can upset his respiratory system in the cold weather. Hope your husband's operation goes well.

Thank you. Hubby's in much pain so he's actually looking forward to this.

I am aware that I will not be bringing bun in at all when it's cold. It's not too cold at the moment - mid 40's. Is it not safe to have him in for short periods at this point?

Rabbits are not the same as dogs or cats who can go in and out with no problem. Rabbits can't regulate their temperature so easily, maybe if you Google it there will be a better explanation than I can give. Sorry to hear hubby is in a lot of pain.

Back