• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dry skin

AlexandraLT

Warren Scout
Hello,
Me again.. I seem to be going from not writing on here at all to nothing but constant worry with my rabbits.
For the last couple of days I have noticed a small patch on the back of oggys neck which didn't feel quite right.
Today I have been able to have a look at it and it looks like dry skin. As if he's peeling. Just in one spot on the back of his neck!
Does anybody know what this is or what may of caused it?

Hello,
Me again.. I seem to be going from not writing on here at all to nothing but constant worry with my rabbits.
For the last couple of days I have noticed a small patch on the back of oggys neck which didn't feel quite right.
Today I have been able to have a look at it and it looks like dry skin. As if he's peeling. Just in one spot on the back of his neck!

It could be fur mites Alexandra:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

If it is, its easily treated by Ivermectin on the back of the neck or injected. Three doses a fortnight apart. The best thing is to get it looked at by a vet and then you can get the treatment at the right strength for the weight.

Also, you have to treat all rabbits at the same time.

Rabbits harbour the mite, but it only becomes an issue when their immune system is run down for some reason ... Could even be due to the cold weather ..

The only other possibility is if he's had a vaccination recently, which can cause a small reaction at the site. Though this is usually more red than dry and flaky.

Last edited:
Hello,

Has he had any injections/ vaccinations in the last few weeks ?

I was thinking mites.. my bridge bunny Murphy used to get them from playing out in a certain patch in my garden.

I just thought it was dry skin at 1st

Thank you so much!
Where would he of got the mites from?
Are these dangerous? Should I be worried!?

Thank you so much!

I think most bunnies have them, or come in to contact with them. Through grooming they normally keep them down so they aren't a problem. If a rabbit is a little run down they may not groom as well & the mites become more of an issue (which is why symptoms may present in one rabbit when more than one live together). They are easily treated. A health check from your vet would be a good idea just in case there is an underlying reason why he isn't grooming as well

Thank you so much!

As I mentioned in my first post to you, rabbits harbour the mites anyway, and they only become an issue when their immune system is low and they 'run out of control' as it were :)

It may not even be mites, so best let your vet check. Like a few things, they are quite harmless, but a little irritating :lol:

Please don't worry! :wave:

Back