• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Binky's Stasis- update page 12 (May 2017)

Lavinia

Young Bun
Hi. I had originally been posting in a thread about my buns bonding after losing his partner of 8 years. But then Binky became unwell and the bonding stopped. Thread here- http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-with-my-bereaved-Binky&p=6862598#post6862598

Decided to make a new thread in this section as hopefully more people will see it and be able to offer advice, help, thoughts. There's lots of info in the other thread about his stasis and treatment. Starting from post #14 on page 2.

Briefly vets have stated syringe feed 1-2 hours critical care. On emeprid 2.5ml every 8 hours, ranitidine 0.6ml every 12, loxicom 1.5mg/ml one ml daily, baytril 2.5% 1ml twice a day.
He's had 2 lots of sub cut fluids at vets two tues and Wednesday.

Baytril he's only had one dose of so far at the vets. Due again in the morning.

After almost 48 hours of syringe feeding he is sick of it an barely tolerates it. At the 1am feed I made a bunny burrito and was able to feed him but he hated t and could tell he was stressed. When I have come to do the 3am feed he has a wet bum. :-( Previously he has solid poos. Small but solid. So I haven't wrapped him up and only managed to get a pitiful amount of critical care in him. But I'm thinking wrapping him stressed him and caused the wet bum.

He is eating a small amount of pellets. For example I counted out 30 to put in his bowl at half 5 yesterday evening when he got back from the vets. He's eaten 20 of these. Which is a big improvement. He's not really eating much hay at all as far as I can tell. He will eat his veggies. Spring greens, parsley, kale, coriander. We bought lots of herbs yesterday for him as thought if he's eating them to keep offering them. I don't dry them after washing so they are nice and wet. He's not drinking from his bowl as far as I can tell either.

I'm worried about stressing him out with the critical care feeds. Now worried about this wet bum. Just worried worried worried.

Last edited:
I am NOT a vet so I can only tell you what I would do here. But given that he is eating a small amount of pellets AND is eating veg, I would stop the critical care as it's causing him to be stressed. If you can pick any clean fresh grass then that would be brilliant but otherwise, stick with the fresh herbs, veg and pellets.

Sending loads of (((vibes))) for a fast recovery.

I cant see any reference to the Vet checking Binky's teeth ? In the bonding pen photos on the other thread there are some very 'gut slow down' tiny fecal poos. Were they Binky's ? Also, in one photo the fur by his left eye looks a bit damp. This could be a sign of Dental issues. A reduction in certain white blood cells (lymphocytes) can occur in a Rabbit with Dental disease.

The selective feeding, preferring soft food (veg), Binky's age and his breed type all make my 'is this Dental' alarm ring.

If he is having lots of wet Veg and he has also had SQ fluids he wont drink as much water as he wont feel thirsty.

The wet bum may be indicative of a urine infection so hopefully the Baytril will address that if it is. But I would definitely mention the possibility of Dental problems to the Vet this morning.

Good luck x

Hi thanks

The vet checked his teeth and does think he has some spurs on his right side back teeth and wants to do a dental however she doesn't feel it would be causing this. Obviously she doesn't know how he feels and you can only look so far into the mouth. She is reluctant however to sedate him due to his current state.

I did decide to leave him a little longer last night at half 4 as he gets stressed I think with me in the room probably thinking that I was going to be pestering him again. So about to go back into him and see how he is.

He's eaten 9 pellets since 4:30 is. And there's a few poos some that are sticky but they are rounded. I will
Ring the vets at 8:30 when they open to see what she says. But I feel that as the wet bum isn't so bad now it must have been the stress of me wrapping him to force feed. So I won't do that again.

I mentioned to the vet about a bladder infection. I notice a week or so he did a sludge wee.

His left eye is watering bad now, but only since we have been feeding him so though it may be related to the way we were holding him. Again I mentioned this to the vets.

At this point I'm really not sure what to do. Or what's the best for him.

ETA- poos are now back to normal- well what they were before the wet bum so far from normal! But you get my drift. So I'm thinking it was the stress that caused that. Ringing vets at 8:30 but think I'm going to tell them I'm not force feeding anymore. Will focus on veg, hay and pellets and see how he does with the meds. Which he's taking well at the moment. Hopefully he will improve enough to then be sedated. And they can do the X-ray and sort his teeth and anything else they find.

Last edited:
Only a small thing to add which I hope will help a little - my Harry is prone to stasis and HATES being force fed. He gets quite stubborn about it and it'll actually put him off his food which makes it quite counter productive. It sounds like you're watching Binky like a hawk so I'd be tempted to use your best judgement and perhaps ease of the critical care if he is starting to eat independently. Of course if you feel he's not eating enough then that changes things. Bunnies are so tricky, aren't they? Big hugs, hope he gets better soon x

I'm glad to hear things are taking a step in the right direction :thumb:. Do let us know how he progresses.

He's eaten 9 pellets since 4:30 is. And there's a few poos some that are sticky but they are rounded. I will
Ring the vets at 8:30 when they open to see what she says. But I feel that as the wet bum isn't so bad now it must have been the stress of me wrapping him to force feed. So I won't do that again.

I mentioned to the vet about a bladder infection. I notice a week or so he did a sludge wee.

His left eye is watering bad now, but only since we have been feeding him so though it may be related to the way we were holding him. Again I mentioned this to the vets.

ETA- poos are now back to normal- well what they were before the wet bum so far from normal! But you get my drift. So I'm thinking it was the stress that caused that. Ringing vets at 8:30 but think I'm going to tell them I'm not force feeding anymore. Will focus on veg, hay and pellets and see how he does with the meds. Which he's taking well at the moment. Hopefully he will improve enough to then be sedated. And they can do the X-ray and sort his teeth and anything else they find.

I totally agree that as he is eating something for himself force feeding is going to be counter-productive as it stresses him out so much x

This sounds very sensible :)

Hope he gets into a position where he can be sedated without you worrying too much x

Thanks everyone. Well he's not eaten much this morning. I had to pop out to work so left him a pile of grass, largish and he ate most of that. Has eaten 5 pellets since this morning. Had his pain, antibiotics and one gut meds at 11. He's now being very quiet. Took him some kale but shown no interest.

I'm so worried. :-(

Maybe more fresh food? Grass, bramble leaves, coriander?

Kale can be a bit bloaty so maybe that's why he's turning his nose up.

eta: I know it's worrying but he has managed to eat today so that is a good sign. :)

Ok thanks. Will try coriander and pick some fresh grass
Not sure If I have any bramble in the garden will have a hunt.

Is your vet rabbit savvy? I would take him to a rabbit savvy vets asap if he was mine. If you are not confident that your vet is an expert on rabbits I would start a new thread asking for recommendations on here

Is your vet rabbit savvy? I would take him to a rabbit savvy vets asap if he was mine. If you are not confident that your vet is an expert on rabbits I would start a new thread asking for recommendations on here

I'm in chesterfield, I see you are in Sheffield. Do you know any to recommend?

I've started a new thread asking for recommendations for you, and directed them here :thumb:

Thanks. I just did my own research and booked an appointment at chapel house vets with their rabbit savvy vet. 4:50. I don't think a second opinion will hurt and just want him be be ok.

Urgh now just had my current vet ring asking why another vet has requested his notes! Awkward but just said I wanted a second opinion now as I was very worried and this vet had been recommended.
He's not doing great to be honest. And I can hear him grinding his teeth despite his pain meds.

Just had a read through the thread.
It sounds like you're honestly doing all you can.

Don't feel bad about the second opinion thing. A good vet & practice will not take offence and will be happy to provide any extra info your second opinion vets may need. There is also no reason you can't return back to your usual practice if you wanted to.

I used to work in a vets and we were constantly referring patients for second opinions as my vet would willingly admit when he wasn't sure & would prefer another vet to take a look and see if he missed something.

If you're very worried, its worth calling the referral vets & see if you can go in sooner, especially as he seems to be showing signs of uncontrolled pain.

Back