• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mimzy-leg ulcer-what to do? (Also flystrike worry)

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Tonight I got quite a shock as we found a random fly in the house. :shock: :( I just happened to notice it because I looked up while making Jenna's nighttime snack and saw it hanging upside down on the wood trim in our kitchen. It was the same color as the wood so I was shocked to even find it, no idea how long it had been there. :( Killed it of course.

So off I go on a mad bunny bum check. Pip is dry and clean, so is Fiver (for the most part, he leaks a little wee now since his stone surgery so I have to keep an eye on him)...but the worst is Mimzy. It's been donkey's years since I've been able to groom him properly as he is so skittish now being blind and deaf. He also hates having any fur pulled which is an inevitability with how matted he constantly is.

Well I whisked him off to the laundry and began washing him up because with his poorly back and rear legs, he just can't keep clean enough. I knew he would be a project. But to my utter dismay, I've found that the leg he keeps tucked under him (right rear) now has an open wound on the inside of the ankle/knee (?), there is no sign of maggots on him that I can tell, I will be checking him again first thing tomorrow, but the leg really scared me because it was obviously tender and it wasn't like that the last time I gave him a bum bath. :( His fur is just clumpy as hell so I had to really poke and prod to be certain there wasn't anything untoward on him.
I cleaned it up, got most of the grotty old fur away from it, dried him and put some neosporin on. But I know it should probably be seen by a vet. It's not suppurating anything, it's just raw...almost like a badly cracked hock but on the wrong part of the leg for that. I also trimmed his nails as they were getting ridiculous. He hates it but I think the bathing soothed him enough that he didn't give me much stick.

I don't know that he would tolerate a dressing on it, he'll likely try to rip it off or, if he's not getting great circulation in that area, I would be afraid it would cut off what little he does get. How should I proceed? His records are still in Alaska, so it would be probably take until those arrived before the vet would look at him. And of course if he does wind up with flystrike, well...either that or this leg not healing will likely finish him. :cry:

I just need some advice. We don't have Rearguard in the US. Is there something I can whip up at home to help prevent anything breeding on him if eggs were laid? I'm not even sure I'd know what to look for. :(

Hardly sleep as it is...doubt I'll get any tonight. :cry:

Last edited:
I obviously can't be sure but I would think that the fly and the ulcer are probably not in any way connected from what you have described.

I would be surprised if a vet would need to wait until he received Mimzy's notes before he would treat him. I think I would be expecting a vet to examine and treat, probably with antibiotics. Then I would be hopeful that it would heal.

Sending him lots of vibes and lots of hugs for you.

Thanks Omi. Yeah, I found that even in this small town, the few vets that are here will see a patient immediately. Sadly, none are open on weekends either. :(
I know the ulcer isn't from a fly, it's obvious that the pressure he puts on this leg causes it, or even perhaps a seedhead or something may have got in there and burrowed a hole, but it isn't pleasant to find in any case. My poor bub, I am not taking very good care of him if I missed something like this. :(

I'll give the local a try tomorrow but in the meantime, does anyone have experience with finding fly eggs and are they very difficult to spot? Should I try to cut most of his fur skirt away from his backside? Even just tugging the loose clumps makes his skin bright pink and it sometimes bleeds in tiny spots, plus he is always touchy about this area due to his arthritic joints and spine. :cry: But I don't want any critters hiding in his messy fur. :evil:

Do you have any Revolution on hand, MM? That would kill off eggs and stop them from hatching. We can just go out and buy it here but I recall you cannot do that in the States. Unless OTC from a vet clinic?

Is the sore an area he can reach? Could he have done this himself?

Sending some {{{vibes}}} for the little guy!

Awww i really hope mimzy is ok. Lots of get well vibes being sent. I dont think anyone would say you havnt looked after him properly for not noticing the sore, it really shows how much you love him. xxxxxxxxx

Tonight I got quite a shock as we found a random fly in the house. :shock: :( I just happened to notice it because I looked up while making Jenna's nighttime snack and saw it hanging upside down on the wood trim in our kitchen. It was the same color as the wood so I was shocked to even find it, no idea how long it had been there. :( Killed it of course.

So off I go on a mad bunny bum check. Pip is dry and clean, so is Fiver (for the most part, he leaks a little wee now since his stone surgery so I have to keep an eye on him)...but the worst is Mimzy. It's been donkey's years since I've been able to groom him properly as he is so skittish now being blind and deaf. He also hates having any fur pulled which is an inevitability with how matted he constantly is.

Well I whisked him off to the laundry and began washing him up because with his poorly back and rear legs, he just can't keep clean enough. I knew he would be a project. But to my utter dismay, I've found that the leg he keeps tucked under him (right rear) now has an open wound on the inside of the ankle/knee (?), there is no sign of maggots on him that I can tell, I will be checking him again first thing tomorrow, but the leg really scared me because it was obviously tender and it wasn't like that the last time I gave him a bum bath. :( His fur is just clumpy as hell so I had to really poke and prod to be certain there wasn't anything untoward on him.
I cleaned it up, got most of the grotty old fur away from it, dried him and put some neosporin on. But I know it should probably be seen by a vet. It's not suppurating anything, it's just raw...almost like a badly cracked hock but on the wrong part of the leg for that. I also trimmed his nails as they were getting ridiculous. He hates it but I think the bathing soothed him enough that he didn't give me much stick.

I don't know that he would tolerate a dressing on it, he'll likely try to rip it off or, if he's not getting great circulation in that area, I would be afraid it would cut off what little he does get. How should I proceed? His records are still in Alaska, so it would be probably take until those arrived before the vet would look at him. And of course if he does wind up with flystrike, well...either that or this leg not healing will likely finish him. :cry:

I just need some advice. We don't have Rearguard in the US. Is there something I can whip up at home to help prevent anything breeding on him if eggs were laid? I'm not even sure I'd know what to look for. :(

Hardly sleep as it is...doubt I'll get any tonight. :cry:

I would think that putting the antibiotic ointment on the wound will help (so long as it's not the stinging kind). Could it have been caused by urine burn/scald? Poor little man and poor you!

Trimming the fur, keeping it clean and applying the ointment will deter any passing fly. I wouldn't put anything much else on him, and you can take him into the vet to see how to get it healing better. I am sure they will treat as they see, and not wait for any notes to be sent over.

Just what you don't need MM ...Wishing you loads of vibes xx

Thank you everyone for your responses. I was glad to see this morning that he was still clean, made sure the wound was treated, it's a little odd in the center as it looks like a pus was forming, but I don't think it was that, it was likely the remains of last night's ointment. I'm keeping a close eye in any regard.
He was feisty as usual and gave me plenty of bunnitude while I was freshening him up this morning. I've been doing several things today that were badly overdue but have continued to check on him throughout the day. He actually looked more comfortable to me this afternoon and I will take another look at the leg while cleaning them out this evening.

MM, I tell you , the troubles don't stop! :( Or dryer is now making a high whining noise that likely means stuff from the lint trap got caught in the drum area somewhere and so now I get to take that apart to see if I can clean it out. When it rains it pours! This makes it harder to get all their bedding clean and dry in time for their changes, more worry when it comes to insects and their nasty influences. :( I'm simply not used to seeing vermin this late in fall, everything has frozen by now back home.

Jerz, Revolution is script only. :( There's lots of 'flea treatments' in the grocery but they're for dogs and cats...selemectin is the only way to go for bunnies, and I don't trust myself with an OTC dosage. I much prefer the little pre-made ones the vet gives us. I knew I should've gotten a batch to bring with me before I left. :(

No, I don't think Mimzy did this to himself. It's just a badly bent area of his leg that gets little air and is probably wee'd on quite often. But I'm guessing he got a seedhead in there, he's had them get stuck pretty deeply in his pelt. I feed third cut timothy mostly but when I run out the only one I can buy here is second cut that has lots of stalky stuff and seeds. It's great for their digestion but it causes big trouble when it lodges in their fur. :( Or an ear.

willow and squiggles, thank you for your support. It really means a lot. As the bunnies age, I know the time will come that I can't make something better. I live in fear of that day, but when it happens, I'll always do my best by them all. They've given me their whole lives with lots of happy and sad times too. I only want what's best for them.
That being said, I was so relieved to see Mimz being a bit of a butt today, shows me he's got lots of spunk left, despite his age! :thumb: xxxx

Back