• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant slippy rabbit!

CharlieBee123

Young Bun
We got our gorgeous boy blueberry today who is a sable agouti giant continental! He is a happy chappy but he slips around his hutch really badly! Any ideas on what I can put down to help him? He's currently on sawdust, straw and hay.
Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome :)

Sawdust can cause respiratory problems as it's so fine so try not to use that if you can. I use shavings as they're chunkier, but only in the litter tray as they help soak up wee.

On the base of our girls' hutch we've put a layer of newspaper for warmth, an old piece of carpet, topped with more newspaper so that they can't ingest any of the fibres when they eat off it. That may help?

Hi ☺ I ment shavings and it's only in at the minute as he's not litter trained so I've put some down to soak anything up. I thought about carpet but how do you clean yours? I'm hoping I can get him litter trained asap

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sawdust/shavings are not recommended because of the phenols they give off, which can cause respiratory problems. I use woodpellet cat litter, in the litter tray, you could use paper based cat litter, auboise, newspaper. If you put non slip vynil on the floor then you can keep that clear of litter and that makes litter training easier, so long as you mop up any accidents and sweep up poops regularly.

You could look at rubber stable matting or non slip safety flooring (the stuff they have in vets waiting rooms). Either would work to line the hutch.

Is he slipping when normally hoping about or is he jumping around and slipping? Does he have a bigger space to exercise in so he can burn off some energy?

Back