• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UPDATE GIZMO is gone peritonitis bloat

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
I feel guilty asking for advice as i dont use this forum very often but i am so worried i am hoping someone can offer some advice . Gizmo who is a gummy 8 year old bunny started with gut stasis yesterday morning. We gave him the normal gut stasis meds and critical care and metacam but during the day he went down hill . We took him emergency vets last night and they said we were doing everything right and they gave him an anogesic pain med for arthritic pain (not sure why) but despite staying up all night feeding etc he still showed no improvement. Been back to the vets this morning and the x-rayed him. They couldnt see if he has a blockage due to a build up of gas /fluid. They gave him fluids and let us bring him home again . They said to
Try infacol to help break down the gas which we gave him.... just concerned as until today despite all of it he was not showing signs of pain whereas now he is. They said if he goes down hill we have to take him back to pts ..... [emoji26][emoji26]how long should we give him and how do we know if it is time to say goodbye. We don't want him to suffer but we want to make sure we do everything we can before making any decision. Sorry for the long post but just hoping for a miracle [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It can take a few days to start coming round from bloat / stasis, and maybe a couple of week to return to normal.
Has he got a heat pad?
Have you tried tummy rubs?
Keeping them moving can also help to get things moving through - although that may not be easy or welcomed by your rabbit, and could cause more stress.

Meanwhile, keep up with the meds. How often are you giving the metacam , infacol, and stasis meds?
Normal gut motility also needs something to work on - so keep feeding every couple of hours if it was confirmed there is no blockage. Critical Care will also provide hydration.
Have you tried tempting him with something like dandelions, grass or fresh herbs? They can be extremely picky when they are really poorly.

I am sorry that Gizmo is unwell.

Have you been given some more pain and gut motility meds for today? A rabbit in Stasis will need to continue with both usually for several days, at least until after the rabbit has got completely back to normal.

Has there been any output from Gizmo?

Sending him lots of vibes.

Sounds like he's on injectable Metacam from what's been said?

One thing I'd really recommend is peppermint tea (obviously cooled, although slightly warm can be helpful). You can syringe it if it isn't taken voluntarily.

I feel guilty asking for advice as i dont use this forum very often but i am so worried i am hoping someone can offer some advice . Gizmo who is a gummy 8 year old bunny started with gut stasis yesterday morning. We gave him the normal gut stasis meds and critical care and metacam but during the day he went down hill . We took him emergency vets last night and they said we were doing everything right and they gave him an anogesic pain med for arthritic pain (not sure why) but despite staying up all night feeding etc he still showed no improvement. Been back to the vets this morning and the x-rayed him. They couldnt see if he has a blockage due to a build up of gas /fluid. They gave him fluids and let us bring him home again . They said to
Try infacol to help break down the gas which we gave him.... just concerned as until today despite all of it he was not showing signs of pain whereas now he is. They said if he goes down hill we have to take him back to pts ..... [emoji26][emoji26]how long should we give him and how do we know if it is time to say goodbye. We don't want him to suffer but we want to make sure we do everything we can before making any decision. Sorry for the long post but just hoping for a miracle [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about Gizmo, bunnylover :(

It may be worth asking the vet for some IV or sub cut fluids. When a bunny is in bloat to stasis, they can become dehydrated and you need to make sure the contents of the cecum are well hydrated. It's not easy to get enough into them by mouth.

Have you seen this? Some helpful info ....

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

Thank you everyone for replys . Gizmo is pn metacam but last night rheu give him a stronger med for pain . He has been given fluids and cysopride and metocoprimide (excuse the spelling) and now infacol every hour. Tjey couldnt be certain there isn't a blockage because of gas/ fluid on xray. He is so flat i am
Not sure whAt else to do .
Feeling helpless

Thank you everyone for replys . Gizmo is pn metacam but last night rheu give him a stronger med for pain . He has been given fluids and cysopride and metocoprimide (excuse the spelling) and now infacol every hour. Tjey couldnt be certain there isn't a blockage because of gas/ fluid on xray. He is so flat i am
Not sure whAt else to do .
Feeling helpless

Did the vet take his temperature?

Regarding Infacol/Gripe Water/Peppermint Tea ... Everyone has their faves. I have *always* found Infacol combined with gentle tummy rubs to be the clincher in these situations .. BUT only if there isn't blockage present.

Keep up the good work and many many vibes for your poor little one xxx

we have a good vet who wasn't working this weekend but we rang her at home (she is a friend) and as its gizmo (who she saved him many times over the years) offered to come see him at home to save stressing him . She looked at his eyes which were yellow and he was very pale . Hid glucose was high and he had free fluid in his stomach she said peritonitis. He was too weak for surgery so she put him asleep at home :( very peaceful but no less painful)
Thanks for the advice though xxx

we have a good vet who wasn't working this weekend but we rang her at home (she is a friend) and as its gizmo (who she saved him many times over the years) offered to come see him at home to save stressing him . She looked at his eyes which were yellow and he was very pale . Hid glucose was high and he had free fluid in his stomach she said peritonitis. He was too weak for surgery so she put him asleep at home :( very peaceful but no less painful)
Thanks for the advice though xxx

I'm so very sorry to hear about Gizmo. I hope you're OK xx So pleased you have a compassionate vet xx

3f1b8ce92cba0084adbf7cb1d8979993.jpg

This bunny was so special .... we will never forget him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm so very sorry :cry:. You did everything you could for him and he knows you were there when he needed you. Sweet dreams Gizmo xx.

Back