• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think blitzen has had a setback

w&s I think you can be trusted not to have left Blitzen with a vet whom you didn't have confidence in :) From what you have reported Blitzen seems to be getting the correct treatment, which would be the same wherever he was. From now on really it's just a case of waiting while the medication takes effect. I think you've done exactly the right thing. Not many people could afford OOH prices without insurance cover.

As I said earlier the PDSA centre shown on the recent programme had all the facilities that you would expect at a normal vets. I guess also the staff that work there must have a real commitment to healing sick animals as their salary would be less than they could earn elsewhere.

Sending lots of hugs.

I'm really sorry Blitzen has had to be admitted, tons of vibes being sent his way that the meds start working soon and that he'll be feeling much better. I know it's really hard not to worry but he is definitely in the best place xx

thanks. Ive rang and they said he has a catheter in his ear and is taking to the fluids well, she said he was still bright and had been having a little nibble on hay. I can ring back at 11 in morning, but dont think i will be able to wait that long. x

thanks. Ive rang and they said he has a catheter in his ear and is taking to the fluids well, she said he was still bright and had been having a little nibble on hay. I can ring back at 11 in morning, but dont think i will be able to wait that long. x

No that's an awful long time to wait. I couldn't wait either x

I probably got this wrong but I thought PDSA vets tended to be vets doing extra work (outside there typical surgery) on a voluntary basis - if I'm right you can't fault their comitment & that IMO is really important.

Sending lots of vibes for you & your boy

Last edited:
If I were you I'd phone back sooner than that :) I can't imagine that the person who told you to phone at 11am would still be working when you phone, but if she is, just pretend you misunderstood :)

Sending more vibes for your lovely Blitzen.

Thats what my excuse is. was just going to say with all the stress i must not have heard properly lol..
Thanks these other 3 are going to be spoilt rotten for when he comes home. They are fully free range with me downstairs again tonight. Tiggi slept next to my feet on the poofy from 2am until 5am in a total flop, she kept me awake with her cuteness last night.

Well i think tiggi is missing blitzen she keeps running into the pen grunting, stamps her feet and runs back out. she then mithers me to death. Ita a shame, its like she asking me to go and get him.

Ive rang and they said he has to stay in again today and tonight. He is still on fluids. She said he has had a few poos but they are like bullets, he is nibbling on a little hay. I feel lost. Is it normally ok for you to be able to visit them, i really want to see him. I bet he is so lonely he has never spent a day on his own since he was born. She expected me to only ring back tomorrow morning and i said i cant not ring, which she told me they wont be able to tell me anything different. I was only the receptionist who was relaying a message.

Ive rang and they said he has to stay in again today and tonight. He is still on fluids. She said he has had a few poos but they are like bullets, he is nibbling on a little hay. I feel lost. Is it normally ok for you to be able to visit them, i really want to see him. I bet he is so lonely he has never spent a day on his own since he was born. She expected me to only ring back tomorrow morning and i said i cant not ring, which she told me they wont be able to tell me anything different. I was only the receptionist who was relaying a message.

I am not sure that PDSA Clinics allow owners to visit, but you could ask. Being on IV fluids is important if he does have a caecal impaction, so it is in his best interests to remain an Inpatient at the moment. You could ask the Vet about adding an osmotic laxative eg Lactulose to his treatment. Lactulose will draw fluid into the bowels, rehydrating the impaction and making it easier to break down and pass.

Do you know if they are giving him a prokinetic drug called Cisipride ? This can sometimes be more beneficial than just giving Metoclopramide and Ranitidine.

Sending lots more vibes for Blitzen xxx

I'm glad he is starting to nibble a bit more for himself and done some poos, even if they are bullet like at the moment. Hopefully the fluids and other treatment he's getting will continue to help. Just to echo what Jane has said above, Snoopy was prescribed cisipride when he had both his stasis episodes recently and it seemed to work very well for him as he continued to pass poos throughout the episodes.

Lots of hugs for you and nose rubs for little Tiggi too xx

Oh WS I'm so sorry!

I am sure they are doing their level best for him. Certainly charities know their stuff as they see so many animals so I'm sure they know what to do.

Regarding visiting - yes my local PDSA here allows it, so it's perhaps on an individual basis. You can but ask. If you managed a visit then you'd be in a better position to ask questions rather than passing them on via reception. Their vets are always very busy.

Still sending loads of vibes xx

Thats why i wanted to go there myself and by seeing him i would know better how he is coping. They have said its not normal practice to visit, only if things were going badly down hill. Im going to ring back around 7pm and ask when a vet gets an available minute could he/she speak to me. If its anything like yesterday they were swamped with emergencies. I feel really sick now but that might be because ive not been able to eat yet. My husband is cooking me something now. He makes sense in saying im not going to be able to look after him when i get him home if i make myself ill. Ive promised i will try to go to bed tonight.

I don't see that there is anything you can do atm. He couldn't be on the IV fluids at home so he is in the best place. I think he will manage on his own, bunnies are quite resilient. Let's hope he starts to pass whatever is impacting and starts to feel better, and come home. Try to relax and eat something. xx

Back