• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bunny bedding arrangements

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

So this is going to sound very odd but please bear with me.. So Bailey again!

He is a very spoilt house bunny with a cat bed, cardboard castle, 2 litter trays loaded with hay and a pets at home wooden house. However he doesn't use any to settle down in and much prefers to sleep on the carpet or my kitchen tiles which is fine. However the last couple of nights he has been ice cold to touch in the mornings when I greet him. He has his breakfast fine and then looks at the radiator, Basically waiting for me to turn it on. Now it's not cold in our house at all, but as soon and I turn the radiators on, he lies out fully next to them and will almost cook himself. He gets so warm.. And then starts binkying and running round.

I'm just starting to worry as surely he can't be cold at night can he?? But then again he is eating fine and not showing any signs of being in pain or having a slow gut.. So why is he ice cold to touch first thing in the morning?

or could it be his ears? We have started to reduce his metacam as he's not actually showing any signs of being in pain! He's eating like a trooper and doesn't shake his head like he did when we first realised. But he's only been dropped from 0.8 twice daily to 0.5 twice daily?

I don't really want to ask the vets yet as they'll probably think I'm mad.. So any advice would be appreciated! Thanks guys xx

Before people start wondering, I do still have Bella, but when we started the bonding.. She bit Bailey quite bad, and now he just lunges at her so they are having a bit of space from each other and we'll start the bonding again at Xmas!

I think the fact he has his ear infection probably didn't help so hopefully once he has his flush and we can get it under control we'll try again and slowly introducing them again!

Last edited:
Boots has a bed, but chooses to sleep in his hay filled litter tray, and frequently sleeps in a DBF in the middle of the laminate floor :shock: I've never noticed him being cold, even though his room is not overly warm.

Hopefully the bond will go more smoothly once Bailey is better :thumb:

I'm not sure why he could be getting cold. But a solution could be to buy a snuggle safe heat pad. You just heat it up in the microwave and it can keep warm for up to 12 hours.

:)

Thanks so much guys, God knows why he is cold, any way we are complete suckers and given in. He's back in the bedroom with us now, where he cuddles down by our bed and have our 5-5.30 wake up by him jumping on the bed!

Yeah I'm hoping once he is feeling better, they'll be easier to bond! Honestly, what we do for our bunnies! :lol: xxx

Is he actually cold? It's normal for the outside of the fur and the ears to feel cool if the room/outdoors is cold. That's just bunny insulation, they feel cold on the outside because they are so well insulated the body warmth stays close to the skin. It's like an insulated flask can have boiling water inside but is ok to hold in your hand. If you wiggle your fingers into the fur until you touch skin, I imagine he'll feel much warmer :)

My two girls spend the time sleeping on hard floor in the coldest part of the room. They get chilly ears but don't seem particularly cold, once they have breakfast they start getting active.
Our radiations are left on, but the thermostat controls when they actually have heat coming out of them.

Back