• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biting ears

LauraB

Young Bun
New male- Billy (5 months old) for our female- Bramble (between 1-2 years) has had his ears nipped. They bonded beautifully and been snuggling for 2 weeks together but noticed this morning he's had bits of his ears nipped. No blood, no noticeable ear parts anywhere. He doesn't seem distressed. His ears aren't even particularly wound like if that makes sense. Not sure what to do

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Been for a vet check, no other wounds anywhere which doesn't make sense to me if they've been fighting. So it's just bits of missing ear- :-/

Been for a vet check, no other wounds anywhere which doesn't make sense to me if they've been fighting. So it's just bits of missing ear- :-/

aww, poor Billy. Could he have caught them on something?

I've just caught the trio fighting as well. Why are they all having an aggressive day?
Could it be that they're not getting enough food as it's winter and they're burning more energy? They are free roaming in the garden at the moment so I am worried about when they go back. There are no no plants to eat they are long gone. They have small amount of pellets in evening only, constant access to hay and veg in morning which I scatter so they search/share. All neutered

I've just caught the trio fighting as well. Why are they all having an aggressive day?
Could it be that they're not getting enough food as it's winter and they're burning more energy? They are free roaming in the garden at the moment so I am worried about when they go back. There are no no plants to eat they are long gone. They have small amount of pellets in evening only, constant access to hay and veg in morning which I scatter so they search/share. All neutered

Maybe it could be they are hungry but I feel the presence (smell or sight) of an intruder in your garden (fox / cat ?) is more likely.

It could be the presence/smell of the other rabbits causing referred aggression. Can you keep them out of sight and smell of each other?

No they are in separate sides of garden but can see each other and take turns to use the rest of the garden. There is a stray cat that sometimes appears nearby. But not a new thing so not sure what's causing the current upset. I gave some greens last night and they were ravenous for them.

Are the trio separate from the pair? Am just trying to get a picture in my head. Could the female of the pair be over-grooming the boy and nibbling his ears? The other thing that springs to mind is something I read somewhere and that is if a rabbit has fleas they nibble around the edge of the ears. So something to consider as you have only had him a short time and not noticed, although the fleas could have been present in his first home.

Do the trio start fighting if one of the other rabbits goes up to their enclosure? If so, this is what we call Referred Aggression.

Rabbits shouldn't need more food in the winter as they will tend to put weight on which will then be hard to lose. Rabbits are always ravenous :thumb:

Yes so their enclosures are separate are in an L shape, one side for pair, other for trio.
Should I see fleas before treatment or just go for it. Also same question for worms? Thanks :)

If you check in his fur you will see black specs but the fleas were most likely at his Mum's home. That is if it is fleas. We don't treat for worms unless it is obvious they have them. If the rabbit has fleas, which I doubt as they very rarely get them, the Vet will dose him with a drop of Advantage. Don't use stuff meant for dogs.

Back