• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sahara, Gobi and Valentine

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Sadly as some one you know a few weeks ago I had to have both my gerbils put to sleep after developing scent gland tumours, on Saturday I found my little hamster Valentine dead in her bed as well. :cry: They lived next door to each other so I thought they could have a joint tribute.

I took on Sahara and Gobi after I couldn't bear to see them living how they was before (see first photo below), they were around 3 years old when I got them and was surprised how easy to handle they were. They settled in straight away and were lovely characters, I loved watching them dig their fantastic tunnels and shred cardboard in seconds! I was very upset to find Sahara had a tumour, just after a year of having them, and after seeing a vet we decided not to operate it and to monitor it. A couple of weeks later Gobi developed one too, when the tumours become bothersome I decided to have them put to sleep together, they had a very close bond and I am glad they didn't have to face grief. I hope their life with me helped ease such a poor life they had before.

My partner got me Valentine for valentines day this year, she came from pets at home adoption after having had 3 homes already, we didn't know her age but I didn't expect her to leave us so suddenly. She didn't slow down, change her behaviour or anything. I knew something was wrong when she didn't come out of her bed for tea on Saturday, I lifted her bed up and there she was all curled up. At least I can say she looked very peaceful. I had never held her before, she was far too quick and very scared of us but she was still a pleasure to have. I miss hearing the wheel going throughout the night and wake up to her bathing in her sand bath before going to bed. I hope you was older than we thought little ham, and although we couldn't 'show' you affection you were very well loved.

My bedroom is very quiet without my tiny critters scurrying around.

I'm so sorry, how very sad :cry: all 3 of them had a lovely life with you though :love:

Hugs xx

I'm sorry for your losses.:cry: I've had Syrian hamsters for over twenty years,sadly tumours are not uncommon in rodents in "old age".My current boy "pi" is one year and nine months old.Had him at the vet for a possible urine infection,he was given septrin and loxicom.He's much better now and I hope he scurries around for a while yet.

Back