• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit only eating hay and veg

avamarie

New Kit
I am concerned for my rabbit as he usually eats a bowl full of pellets, hay and a handful of veg in the evening every day, but since saturday he is only eating small amounts of hay a small amount of water and veg, he has not touched his pellets and his behaviour as changed as he usually runs out as soon as I open the cage and runs around kitchen ect for a few hours but will not come out at all and is lying down a lot and looks uncomfortable?

I am afraid not eating is a sign your rabbit is in pain, whether dental or other so please take him to a Vet.

Such changes mean that something is definitely wrong and I would advise you get your rabbit to a vet as soon as possible as they go downhill extremely quickly. I am assuming he is neutered and vaccinated.

I am concerned for my rabbit as he usually eats a bowl full of pellets, hay and a handful of veg in the evening every day, but since saturday he is only eating small amounts of hay a small amount of water and veg, he has not touched his pellets and his behaviour as changed as he usually runs out as soon as I open the cage and runs around kitchen ect for a few hours but will not come out at all and is lying down a lot and looks uncomfortable?

Hello avamarie and welcome to RU :wave:

You need to see a vet asap, as if he stops eating altogether it becomes a medical emergency .. Hi gut will fill up with gas and he won't feel like eating.

Lying down and being uncomfortable are sure signs he needs medical attention.

Do you have a good rabbit vet? :)

I do hope you have managed to get your rabbit seen to by a vet as not eating can be very serious.

They should give him a pain killer and something to get the guts moving. Hope all goes well for him and that he starts eating happily soon.

Back