• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox has killed my two rabbits

nettii

New Kit
I am writing this post in the hope that someone will read it and make changes to their housing and save their bunnies. Unfortunately it's too late for my two.

I had two rabbits Poppy and Casper (both 4 years old). I had a 12ft by 9ft rum built for them on the side of their hutch with access in and out. I put chicken wire underneath the grass to stop them getting out and foxes getting in. I didn't feel that it was safe enough as i'd read foxes could get through chicken wire. So we dug up the area and placed patio slabs down and built digging boxes for them to dig in. I had double strong welded mesh on their hutch door and locked them in every night.

We have always had foxes in the area (I live in the country) but they had never seemed to come in my garden and my bunnies never seemed to be scared of anything. I really thought they were safe. Then last week one day they started to spend more time In their hutch and I suspected a fox had visited as they were eating and drinking fine. Not ill. Just scared looking. So I knew I would have to do something. Put them in the garage? Or the shed?

That night I dreamt about a fox getting them and went to check on them early morning. Both rabbits were laying dead in front of their hutch on the grass side by side. I can't tell you the horror I felt. The only mark on them was puncture wounds. The door had been prized open by a fox pulling on it presumably with its teeth. The latch had snapped off and the bolt at the top had been opened (it was shut but i didnt have a lock on it) Again i'm presuming the fox was lucky and just happened to pull the bar across.

I have no idea why it left them, maybe got scared of , maybe planning to come back for them.

I am devastated, my beautiful wonderful rabbits, Poppy abd Casper are gone. My two daughters are heart broken and I have to live my life forever feeling guilty that I didn't bring them In that night.

Please, please...if you have bunnies outside put a proper lock on your bolts, or keep them indoors. Don't assume they will be ok.

I am writing this post in the hope that someone will read it and make changes to their housing and save their bunnies. Unfortunately it's too late for my two.

I had two rabbits Poppy and Casper (both 4 years old). I had a 12ft by 9ft rum built for them on the side of their hutch with access in and out. I put chicken wire underneath the grass to stop them getting out and foxes getting in. I didn't feel that it was safe enough as i'd read foxes could get through chicken wire. So we dug up the area and placed patio slabs down and built digging boxes for them to dig in. I had double strong welded mesh on their hutch door and locked them in every night.

We have always had foxes in the area (I live in the country) but they had never seemed to come in my garden and my bunnies never seemed to be scared of anything. I really thought they were safe. Then last week one day they started to spend more time In their hutch and I suspected a fox had visited as they were eating and drinking fine. Not ill. Just scared looking. So I knew I would have to do something. Put them in the garage? Or the shed?

That night I dreamt about a fox getting them and went to check on them early morning. Both rabbits were laying dead in front of their hutch on the grass side by side. I can't tell you the horror I felt. The only mark on them was puncture wounds. The door had been prized open by a fox pulling on it presumably with its teeth. The latch had snapped off and the bolt at the top had been opened (it was shut but i didnt have a lock on it) Again i'm presuming the fox was lucky and just happened to pull the bar across.

I have no idea why it left them, maybe got scared of , maybe planning to come back for them.

I am devastated, my beautiful wonderful rabbits, Poppy abd Casper are gone. My two daughters are heart broken and I have to live my life forever feeling guilty that I didn't bring them In that night.

Please, please...if you have bunnies outside put a proper lock on your bolts, or keep them indoors. Don't assume they will be ok.

Hi nettii

I am so very very sorry for your losses. It's heartbreaking and devastating. Please try and forgive yourself xx

I am very sorry that you have lost your two rabbits to a fox. I understand exactly how you feel, as I have lost a much-loved chicken to a fox. Sending hugs.

How terrible for you all. It is incredible how strong and determined foxes are.

RIP Poppy and Casper.

Oh no! How awful for you. So so sorry to hear this and thanks for sharing your story, gives us all an opportunity to address outdoor hutches. Thinking of you xxx

So tragic, I'm so sorry for your loss. I have been through this with chickens and that was horrific enough. Please don't blame yourself it sounds like the enclosure was very secure, foxes can be very determined :(

I'm so sorry this has happened, it must have been extremely distressing. You are very kind to think of others, by sharing your story x

I'm so saddened to read what you have gone through, you must be devastated. Yes, it sounds like the fox was going to come back but was disturbed. At least console yourself with the fact that you can bury your beloved pets at home though now and please forgive yourself, it wasn't your fault at all.

:cry:

My thoughts are with you. Please, please don't blame yourself as you clearly tried to make their enclosure safe xx.

Back