• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny's weeing

BunnyMajor

New Kit
Hi, I've had my 2 unneutered buck brothers for 29 days now, and I've owned rabbits before so I have plenty of experience, but I've never dealt with this so far. To get to the point, the boys are weeing everywhere. I know this is a natural behaviour for them because they're not neutered and I believe it's called "spraying", all bucks we've owned before have been adopted, so were already neutered or were neutered a couple of days afterwards. So - not thinking I'm stupid - I booked them into the vet for a neuter as soon as possible. After dealing with a recent loss during a spay operation (a really bad veterinary practice!), I only ever go to the vets that have experienced with rabbits in particular, so they're being neutered at this vet... in 2 weeks time.

Yes, the vets were fully booked all of November so I have to wait until the 5th of December! The boys are 7 months old now.

I spot clean the room every single day (they're in my bedroom), but today I really saw the full extent of damage they'd done with their "spraying" - wallpaper wrecked, protective blankets wrecked (protect the sofa and floor), drawers are wrecked, the sofa, the cushions... need I go on?

I know this probably sounds like I'm fairly fed up - which I kind of am - I do love them to bits, but what should I do? They have a 100cm cage they are put in overnight - so I can't possibly keep them in that until their operation. Any ideas???

They're lionhead rabbits and so have stopped growing - they are tiny.

Hi, welcome to the forum :wave:

I'm sorry you lost a rabbit whilst in for a spay :cry:

As you say, spraying is normal hormonal behaviour. I wouldn't shut any rabbit in a cage overnight, they are very active at night and need space available at all times, the rwaf recommends a six foot X two foot cage with a permanently attached eight foot X six foot run, giving a total of sixty square feet. I would either leave them free in the room they have already been in, or get some puppy pens and make a large pen and put some non slip vynil flooring down on top of any carpet.

Hormonal spraying might take several weeks to subside after the op.

Unfortunately I am unable to put them in anything else. And I would let them free roam my bedroom 24/7 but I'd just be so scared I roll on top of one during the night or something like that :(

I've still got until Monday, and increasingly I'm becoming worried and they seem to be getting into small scuffles (chasing, spraying each other and thumping at each other). But I've still got until Monday (6 days) until they're neutered and I know from experience that it will take months for things to change. We have a neutered buck who took 2-3 months to be litter trained after op, so I'm definitely not expecting it to go away straight away.

They will be going outside March/April time in an outdoor shed with a spacious attachable run attached.

Hi, I've had my 2 unneutered buck brothers for 29 days now, and I've owned rabbits before so I have plenty of experience, but I've never dealt with this so far. To get to the point, the boys are weeing everywhere. I know this is a natural behaviour for them because they're not neutered and I believe it's called "spraying", all bucks we've owned before have been adopted, so were already neutered or were neutered a couple of days afterwards. So - not thinking I'm stupid - I booked them into the vet for a neuter as soon as possible. After dealing with a recent loss during a spay operation (a really bad veterinary practice!), I only ever go to the vets that have experienced with rabbits in particular, so they're being neutered at this vet... in 2 weeks time.

Yes, the vets were fully booked all of November so I have to wait until the 5th of December! The boys are 7 months old now.

I spot clean the room every single day (they're in my bedroom), but today I really saw the full extent of damage they'd done with their "spraying" - wallpaper wrecked, protective blankets wrecked (protect the sofa and floor), drawers are wrecked, the sofa, the cushions... need I go on?

I know this probably sounds like I'm fairly fed up - which I kind of am - I do love them to bits, but what should I do? They have a 100cm cage they are put in overnight - so I can't possibly keep them in that until their operation. Any ideas???

They're lionhead rabbits and so have stopped growing - they are tiny.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm sorry you had a loss during a spay. That's devastating :(

Regarding your boys .. you have been lucky they have stayed together *fairly* amicably and great that they will be neutered soon. You are right, it may take about three months for hormones to settle, during which time you'll still have to field the situation as best you can.

It's really difficult with their behaviour, I know. Wishing you good luck xx

I've been saving to buy them something like that so I'll be getting them that soon - they're being neutered today so I'm really nervous!

I hope it went well! After a few hours, with both my boys, you wouldn't have known anything was wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the support but I now have an extremely serious question as the vet said it would be too risky to do the op because Smidge, at least, is very underweight! He only weighed around 700g! When he should be weighing 1.3kg at his age!

I've had to rebook for the 30th January 2017! But now I'm not just worrying about the op, but how they'll be with each other for a further 2 months, when they'll be 9 months old! Smudge was about 900g

Any advice? The vet told me that they're perfectly healthy apart from their weight

Back