• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Future inbred rabbit kits in danger. What should i do?

Well, my friend had a doe. Then her parents friends brought over a buck and the mated (Unsurprisingly) A few months later the doe gave birth to 5 healthy kits. They kept all the kits thinking they were all female. (Did not take them to a vet to comfirm this!) And now that they are older it is much more clear that at least one rabbit is a buck. And it is their 'favourite' one. I asked them what are the going to do about this, knowing it was only a matter of time before they bred. (If they hadnt already!) They said: 'Well, we dont really have the money to nueter him, and we love him too much to give him away. So i guess we can just kill any inbred kits that are born' I feel so, so sorry for these pet buns. Im in the proces of pleading with them to let me adopt the buck, saying that they can come over and visit him anytime. I dont think its working though... I dont know what to do. Would this be worth reporting even if they dont go through with their 'plan'? I live in Scotland, just to give you an idea of laws ect. Please help. These people are my close friends and i dont know about reporting them straight away.

Since these people are your 'friends' I wonder why they would tell you something that would cause you so much distress. Are they trying to manipulate you to give them money for the neuter?
I do not know how things are regulated in Scotland, but suspect that the manner/speed of killing is the difference between slaughter and abuse. Perhaps you can call animal welfare and ask them what they consider abuse without giving details.

If the buck is their 'favorite' perhaps they should consider adopting all the does to others.

Are they willing to pay anything toward the buck being neutered? Is it not afford or they would rather spend money on other items for themselfes? Do they provide any vet care for their bunnies now? If they truly cannot afford the neuter, are you wiling to donate part of the cost to the buck being neutered; or would this just mean they would come to you if any of the bunnies needs medical care?

Since these people are your 'friends' I wonder why they would tell you something that would cause you so much distress. Are they trying to manipulate you to give them money for the neuter?
I do not know how things are regulated in Scotland, but suspect that the manner/speed of killing is the difference between slaughter and abuse. Perhaps you can call animal welfare and ask them what they consider abuse without giving details.

If the buck is their 'favorite' perhaps they should consider adopting all the does to others.

Are they willing to pay anything toward the buck being neutered? Is it not afford or they would rather spend money on other items for themselfes? Do they provide any vet care for their bunnies now? If they truly cannot afford the neuter, are you wiling to donate part of the cost to the buck being neutered; or would this just mean they would come to you if any of the bunnies needs medical care?

First of all thank you for your reply and helpfulness. I dont really know why they would tell me, i dont think they are wanting the money or they surely would have made it more obvious. I think i will do some research/contact animal welfare to find out the details of what is considered abuse.

About giving up the does. They cant because the mother of the kits belongs to their daughter and i dont think they want to give any away anyway. (Yes, i have told them multiple times that does are better speyed and live longer lives without the risk of uterus cancer ect. They refuse using the same old excuse, cost) I do not even know if they truly cannot afford healthcare for their animals or wish to spend it on other items. Also, just thought i'd point out. The people im dealing with are very 'old school' as in they dont beleive that bunnies or any other small pet needs vet care as much or even more than a cat or dog. They once had 2 chinchillas, i remember someone noticed it had eaten a plastic bag peice and i dont recal it ever getting medical attention. I think they still have the other chinchilla, it lives a lonely life, its cage is bare, it looks deppressed all the time. Im coming to realise the only reason im friends with this family is to look after their poor animals. Posting here has helped me come to that realisation.

Maybe advise them to get in contact with local rescues etc and see if there is a neutering scheme that may help pay, or even fully pay for the neuter of all the rabbits they have.

Yeah, as i said they are very 'old school' though. So i doubt that they would even go to a rescue. I have told them multiple times to check out the PDSA's neutering scheme. I've also emailed the SSPCA to see what they say. Still waiting for a reply. Do you think i should take action if any kits are born? The rabbits are a little over 6 months old now, and i have a good idea that they have already mated. But, i will keep pestering them to speak to rescues.

Last edited:
Its a very hard situation you are in. I bought a male and female by mistake which were i think brother and sister and they ended up having 6 babies when they were 5 months old, so they are old enough to breed. The kits all turned out fine and ive kept them all. They are really hard work though and its cost a small fortune to have them all neutered, plus the extra housing space. Could you not try to get round your friend by saying multiple births can kill the doe. If the doe is pregnant now and she leaves that buck in, he will mate with her as soon as she delivers the kits and she will have another set four weeks later. This will keep carrying on for the doe and she wont be able to nurse 2 sets of kits. Try giving her that scenario and see will that work. Its lovely that you are thinking of the poor buns and you are doing all you can really. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When they are "oldschool" they should do it that way - seperate the buck asap, for the rest of their lifes.

Even if they kill all offspring, the does can be bred right after kindling, and it starts right again - not a nice way to waste does, that's cruel, very, very stressfull even for breeds that are optimised for this. Ok, colony style rabbitries can work, with great care and knowlegde, but not for pets. And definitly not when neutering one buck already is too expensive.

Inbred or not quite likely wont make much difference with rabbits, at least with well bred lines, well there things like the dwarf gene...

Anyway, killing the kits is no solution. When they can't give away the kits now because of the daughter, killing baby rabbits she knows of will imho be much worse.

Hm, would it be possible to motivate the daughter to find new homes for the does? When the does mature it may not stay peacefull, just the normal hierachy struggles can become quite violent, apart from the normal humping and fur plucking.
If they are her bunnies, letting her do all the chores might help, 5 rabbits are quite some work.

I quite enjoy seeing someone leaving with one of my bunnies, but she would need help, to find and brief new owners.
The buck needs to be seperated anyway, (and effectivly, mine jumped down a 6ft wall, jumps and climbs 4-5ft. obstacles to get to a doe, and needs to be seperated by 2 layers of wire, 1" apart, from any other adolescent male, or there are bleeding noses)

Last edited:
Is there any news on this rabbitypaws? What a dreadful situation of totally irresponsible views to pet ownership. It must be heartbreaking to witness. Wondering if you ever had a reply from the SSPCA, if not may be worth giving them a call.

Back