Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabbit ringworm and can it spread to people?

If I'm correct... you can use clotrimazole to treat ringworm in humans. I've also used it on G.pigs in the past when they've got ringworm (under vet direction). Generally cleared up in around 3 - 4 weeks. (I used Canasten as it has clotrimazole as its active ingredient)

As far as I'm aware its generally harmless unless it goes untreated for a long period of time (e.g. a year or more). I've had it on my thigh before (no idea how!) and it took around 3 months to get rid of.
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

rabbits don't often get ringworm, unlike guinea pigs. we have a real problem with it in our barn, it keeps flaring up in the piggies, so much so that we are not taking any more in until we know we are clear. but I have only once had a rabbit with it and he had another skin condition initially and then caught the ringworm as his open skin was extra vulnerable. his partner never caught it from him as her skin was fine. it has to get in through a break.

it is more likely you caught it from a person. there are huge numbers of children passing it around in schools.
    Best Wishes
    Louise
    Hopper Haven And Littlefoot Sanctuary
    www.hopperhaven.org.uk
    Home of a Hundred Happy Hoppers
    A Different Smaller Viewpoint,
    The World Below the Knee Joint

Quote Originally Posted by doorkeeper View Post
    rabbits don't often get ringworm, unlike guinea pigs. we have a real problem with it in our barn, it keeps flaring up in the piggies, so much so that we are not taking any more in until we know we are clear. but I have only once had a rabbit with it and he had another skin condition initially and then caught the ringworm as his open skin was extra vulnerable. his partner never caught it from him as her skin was fine. it has to get in through a break.

it is more likely you caught it from a person. there are huge numbers of children passing it around in schools.
    I'm very self conscious about my legs so they've not been exposed to anyone or any surface outside of my house, not been around any kids either. I guess it is possible I could of gotten elsewhere, I just thought it was a bit strange seeing as how Elmo has dry skin and I only noticed the ringworm shortly after getting the rabbits. I suppose if Elmo's skin is still flaky when he comes back from the boarders it's worth taking him to the vet anyway
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop

Ueah Its nice idea , Thanks to add this.