• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sylar's stasis thread

I'm leaning towards it being something to do with boredom or stress/anxiety rather than mites or some form of fungal infection. The first time he started doing it (when he pulled out the claw) was over a year ago. Since first seeing it I've only seen it happen 2 or 3 times and of course it doesn't explain why he was nibbling Hiro's toes! If it was something like mites or an infection wouldn't it be bothering him more frequently?
Would I be able to see anything on his toes?

Thanks for the links, I'll give them a read :)

I'm leaning towards it being something to do with boredom or stress/anxiety rather than mites or some form of fungal infection. The first time he started doing it (when he pulled out the claw) was over a year ago. Since first seeing it I've only seen it happen 2 or 3 times and of course it doesn't explain why he was nibbling Hiro's toes! If it was something like mites or an infection wouldn't it be bothering him more frequently?

Roxyroller88 remember you've shown me a photo of your rabbit set up at home. Wow, I've never seen anyone go to such lengths to make a rabbit friendly environment for your pair. They've got everything & more plus the partnership should prevent boredom. Impressed, seriously understates how I feel about the environment you've given them.

Whenever I look at Sylar, of course I think Benjie because they're identical in appearance (before Benjie's ear lopped) to the smallest detail.
If you think there's an anxiety problem, try a small pot of old fashioned English lavender (Lavender Augustifolia) NOT the commoner spicata variety we now see. Once Benjie's worst anxiety settled he had an occasional nibble at the pot plant.Quite good at topiary actually!:lol:

ETA re boredom, Thumper only enjoyed a cat toy on elastic. Once he discovered the properties of elastic he never got tired of "pinging it" & avoiding the rebound. With everything else he completely lost interest when he'd found out everything he could do with it.
Benjie - totally different had no interest in play. As he grew older he was interested in what I was doing. A bit of a "lazy boy" his only real interest was allogrooming. He got plenty.

Last edited:

You're welcome :)

Sorry my post was a bit verbose, but you got me thinking :lol:

I don't want to imply that your set up isn't extremely interesting, but we just never know what's going on in a rabbit's brain. Who knows what they make of anything we provide for them, or what their own boredom/anxiety threshold is. Different for every rabbit ...

Thumps, I think you've only seen MY room. They have a whole bedroom of their own to play in too! I have to agree that I would struggle to make it more interesting for them :lol: And believe me, I've tried to come up with some more toy ideas but I do often worry that Sylar gets bored regardless! I tried him on a logic toy the other day and he gave me the stink eye and then threw it up in the air :lol:

He's incredibly intelligent but also quite sensitive I think. I've been dog sitting for my parents over the last few weeks (possible trigger) and I came home on Saturday. When I came home to see him it felt a little like he was punishing me. He would growl at me when i touched him and run away but as soon as I'd turn my back or stroke Hiro he would come straight up to me. He was also jumping up on the bed and licking my pillow. The first two times he was poorly I wondered if it could be down to a change in his routine but i'm back now so that doesn't make much sense either.

I will go on the hunt for a lavender plant tomorrow :) The cat toy also sound interesting, I wonder if he would like something like that... I tried him on baby stacking cups the other day too and he wasn't impressed with those either. He just likes things he can destroy I think!

Thumps, I think you've only seen MY room. They have a whole bedroom of their own to play in too! I have to agree that I would struggle to make it more interesting for them :lol: And believe me, I've tried to come up with some more toy ideas but I do often worry that Sylar gets bored regardless! I tried him on a logic toy the other day and he gave me the stink eye and then threw it up in the air :lol:

He's incredibly intelligent but also quite sensitive I think. I've been dog sitting for my parents over the last few weeks (possible trigger) and I came home on Saturday. When I came home to see him it felt a little like he was punishing me. He would growl at me when i touched him and run away but as soon as I'd turn my back or stroke Hiro he would come straight up to me. He was also jumping up on the bed and licking my pillow. The first two times he was poorly I wondered if it could be down to a change in his routine but i'm back now so that doesn't make much sense either.

I will go on the hunt for a lavender plant tomorrow :) The cat toy also sound interesting, I wonder if he would like something like that... I tried him on baby stacking cups the other day too and he wasn't impressed with those either. He just likes things he can destroy I think!

IMO it's not so much punishment. The pillow licking is a very, very, strong "I love you" sign. It's more a "you've upset me a lot & I need some appeasement before we can resume normal relations". It happens in strong human/rabbit relations (bonding) quite commonly. In fact a sign of great closeness.
I think you've hit the nail on the head that if this were the cause of the GI problems it would have happened while youwere away, not now that you're back.

Ok so we've reduced his greens a little and his poops are looking much bigger so maybe I was giving him a tad too many... :roll: It's hard to get the balance right though and I don't want him missing out on nutrients that he needs.

The pro fibre pellets came today and I've give him a small scoop. I'm now wondering if it was the best idea after looking at the composition :(

Wheat feed, dogs bean hulls, oat feed, wheat bran, grass meal, sugar beet pulp, brewer's yeast, linseed, cellulose, Preplex probiotic.
It's also got gut flora stabilisers and protexin probiotic.

I'm panicking a little because I've been avoiding the wheaty stuff. They have come recommended though so I guess I just need to keep a close eye :(

Ok so we've reduced his greens a little and his poops are looking much bigger so maybe I was giving him a tad too many... :roll: It's hard to get the balance right though and I don't want him missing out on nutrients that he needs.

The pro fibre pellets came today and I've give him a small scoop. I'm now wondering if it was the best idea after looking at the composition :(

Wheat feed, dogs bean hulls, oat feed, wheat bran, grass meal, sugar beet pulp, brewer's yeast, linseed, cellulose, Preplex probiotic.
It's also got gut flora stabilisers and protexin probiotic.

I'm panicking a little because I've been avoiding the wheaty stuff. They have come recommended though so I guess I just need to keep a close eye :(

What are they?

Yes... I'm not sure why my phone changed 'soya' to 'dogs' but hey ho!
Sy is on good form tonight. He loves the Hamsters and today we brought home a new one. He's been really curious and doing binkies all night. Funny guy!

Yes... I'm not sure why my phone changed 'soya' to 'dogs' but hey ho!
Sy is on good form tonight. He loves the Hamsters and today we brought home a new one. He's been really curious and doing binkies all night. Funny guy!

Love him :love:

I hope he continues to be well :)

He seems good! He's just been munching on a load of hay and he gobbled up his greens :) Unfortunately his problems come on suddenly so it's impossible to know really...!
He's very intrigued by Jasmine though :D

He seems good! He's just been munching on a load of hay and he gobbled up his greens :) Unfortunately his problems come on suddenly so it's impossible to know really...!
He's very intrigued by Jasmine though :D

Well, all's good for now, which is music to my ears :D

Back