• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sylar's stasis thread

Oh I do hope! :love:
Oh dear...that is a rather unorthodox method of generating excrement but... glad to see something came through. ;) I take it his temp was normal?
I think as long as he is being syringe fed, he won't be all that interested in eating for himself (depending on how much he is taking each sitting) but at least it keeps something going in.
Fingers, eyes, toes...anything crossed that will cross! :D

I didn't speak to them, my O/H did so I'm not sure about the temperature.
We don't really know what to do now. We need to pick him up from the out of hours vet and transport him to another vets for further supportive care. Our local vets are honestly a bit useless and I've been wanting to change for a while but haven't been able to find anywhere decent so it seems pointless taking him there. My second option i Molly but its an hours drive away and obviously we don't want to stress him out any further.

Can he not stay at the out of hours vets? Sounds like they are doing all the right things.

Am glad Sylar is a bit brighter and a poop managed to find a way out. I am pleased the xray was all clear. Are the vets 100% sure there are no problems with his teeth?

Sending loads more vibes, I know how worried you must be xx

Can he not stay at the out of hours vets? Sounds like they are doing all the right things.

Am glad Sylar is a bit brighter and a poop managed to find a way out. I am pleased the xray was all clear. Are the vets 100% sure there are no problems with his teeth?

Sending loads more vibes, I know how worried you must be xx

No :( it turns into a different practise at 8am so we have to take him to our own vets.
He had a dental 6 weeks ago and they have also checked his teeth today so I'd say the chances were low but we will definitely get them checked again.

Just caught your thread, so sorry you and sylar are going through this. Sending a million eating and pooping vibes your way little fella xxxxxxxx

Sending loads more vibes for Sylar. I'm pleased you got to see him last night.

It's a difficult decision about what to do with him today. I know this might not be evident, but if it were me I would take him to your normal vet if I considered that Sylar just needed to be nursed through this current episode of Stasis, but I would take him to Molly if I thought it was necessary to have diagnostics done to find out the cause of the Stasis as well as nursing him.

Perhaps you would get honest advice from the OOH vet where he is now?

They said to take him to our vets, get him on fluids again etc and then if we need to we can arrange to take him to Molly later today.

I've been talking to a girl that has a rabbit that is booked in for surgery first thing this morning with Molly so she won't be available until later today anyway. I'll give her a call though and see what she says :)

They said to take him to our vets, get him on fluids again etc and then if we need to we can arrange to take him to Molly later today.

I've been talking to a girl that has a rabbit that is booked in for surgery first thing this morning with Molly so she won't be available until later today anyway. I'll give her a call though and see what she says :)

I think this is sensible.

I would've thought if he can be stabilised on fluids and taken to Molly later (if that's the plan) then he will feel less stressed. Stressing often leads to dehydration.

Sending you loads of vibes for Sylar xx

When we picked him up at half 7 we were told that he was a bit brighter and that she had heard a few belly noises but we've just dropped him off at our vets and when he checked him he couldn't hear any belly noises again. I'm starting to think that he won't made it :cry:

Back