• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sylar's stasis thread

So sorry, I have only just seen this thread. Sending zillions of healing vibes for your boy and hoping he is soon eating again. I have a bun with a very sensitive tummy and have been through several bouts of stasis with him - I know how awful it can be and how worrying it is. Thinking of you and Sylar and hoping there is soon some improvement. Xxx

Sorry I've only just seen this. Runs of bad bunny luck have happened to most of us I'm sure, although that is no comfort when you are experiencing episodes like this. I hope he recovers & is home real soon. Blood glucose goes up when they are stressed too I think, I'd take that as a good sign he is settled there - its heartbreaking leaving them :( xx

How long should it take to see improvments? He stopped eating around 5am and he was eating before that. He was in the vets by 6am for his first lot of meds. We took him back at 5pm and he has been on fluids etc since then and he's had more drugs. I caught it so quickly i feel like i should be seeing results by now.

How long should it take to see improvments? He stopped eating around 5am and he was eating before that. He was in the vets by 6am for his first lot of meds. We took him back at 5pm and he has been on fluids etc since then and he's had more drugs. I caught it so quickly i feel like i should be seeing results by now.

You certainly couldn't have caught it in any earlier & that always goes in their favour. How long til they show progress is anyones guess, depends on the bunny & the cause I guess & whether the meds they try work.

They vets have rang again to find out what his favourite veggies are so they can send someone out to get them.
Still not eaten himself or pooed but he has had a wee.

Your vets do seem to be very caring :) I am also pleased that they are updating you often. I know that some of the updates were given as a result of you phoning them, but even so I have seen reports of vets saying they will ring back etc.

I also think the fact that they are going out to get his favourite veggies to try must be a good sign.

You certainly couldn't have caught it in any earlier & that always goes in their favour. How long til they show progress is anyones guess, depends on the bunny & the cause I guess & whether the meds they try work.

Exactly this. Elijah has many, many stasis episodes and in his case (my vets x-ray loads!) he often has 'something' slowly passing through his digestive system that's causing him issues. While he's in stasis this can take 24 hours plus to work it's way through, then he has to feel like eating after the trauma of it all. Even though you caught it early there could be some such reason that just needs time, TLC, meds etc to work it's way through.

I hope you get positive news soon, my bunnies have turned me grey with episodes like these! Elijah alone has had at least 25 admissions for stasis ....

They vets have rang again to find out what his favourite veggies are so they can send someone out to get them.
Still not eaten himself or pooed but he has had a wee.

It seems your vets can't do enough for him, which is great. You have done everything you could, as soon as you could. I don't think there's anything more you could have done.

Sending vibes for him xx

Nothing obvious on the xray and not a lot of gas passing through either. Any ideas?
His blood glucose is ok still but his lactate levels are a little bit higher but she doesn't really know what that might mean?
She is lovely but she isn't very rabbit savvy. For now they are going to carry on with the feeds and the fluids.

They're such a worry aren't they?

My little Nethie, Will, has had 2 GI Stasis episodes, around 17 months apart. On both occasions once he started pooping it was VERY furry.

Both episodes were 'unexplained ' however I blame myself for both cases. The first was just after his second gotcha day and he gorged out on the orange roof of a carrot cottage which I believe filled him up and he didn't eat as much hay. The second time I'd been giving him extra pellets as Nancy, his partner, was on a diet. Again I believe this meant he didn't eat as much hay.

Needless to say treats are extremely limited now. Oddly enough he has now started eating greens.

His treatment at the vets was:- painkilling injection, emeprid, zantac, subcutaneous fluids and syringe feeding every 2 hours ( this was once a blockage had been discounted and his teeth checked). He was kept in for the day and I brought him home in the evening to continue the treatment. He was better the next day.

I really hope your boy is feeling better in the morning. Sending vibes and hugs.xxxx. :love:

I hope you manage to get some rest and there is better news in the morning. At least you know you have done everything you can. Take care xxxx

I've been to see him and he looks so sad. We got him out and let him have a wander around and he seemed a bit happier. We also discussed bringing him home but decided it would best to keep him on fluids. I hate leaving him :(

I think when we can't be there ourselves to get a bunny eating again, even a non-rabbit savvy vet can at least do those things we can't at the time; fluids, painkillers, gut motility drugs, etc. They do seem to be on top of things and are trying all they can to help Sylar. None of this does us any good though, when we are still reeling from a loss. It is understandable that you are so very worried. I am so sorry Sylar is feeling poorly, but stasis is a long process to recover from even with early detection (I was once told that complete recovery can take up to 2 weeks, but most buns are doing better a bit sooner) and so keeping an eye and keeping those meds going until they are no longer needed is a priority.

Sending all the best and brightest vibes for Sylar to be a quick recovery bunny and be back in your arms for a cuddle a.s.a.p. ((((((Huge hugs)))))) for you and I am thinking of you and hoping for the best outcome. xxxx

ETA: Just saw your last post (we cross posted) and I'm sorry he has to stay in, but I hope he'll be able to come home soon. (((((more vibes))))) xxxx

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm home now but we had a good cuddle. I took him up some dried herbs, a blanket and a pillowcase from our bed. Hopefully they will comfort him a little.
He looked thoroughly miserable in the cage so I got him out for a wander and he seemed to pick up a little. He was hopping around a bit and he seemed curious but then he just hid under a trolley.
I hate this so much. I feel so useless :(

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm home now but we had a good cuddle. I took him up some dried herbs, a blanket and a pillowcase from our bed. Hopefully they will comfort him a little.
He looked thoroughly miserable in the cage so I got him out for a wander and he seemed to pick up a little. He was hopping around a bit and he seemed curious but then he just hid under a trolley.
I hate this so much. I feel so useless :(

Please don't feel this way. You are a wonderful bunny mum and your babies are so fortunate to have someone so caring looking after them. (((((Huge hugs)))))
We want to blame ourselves because it gives us a sense of control over the situation. But it might be better to concentrate our energies in sending our distant patients all the healing energy we can muster. At the very least it can help to lift our moods somewhat.
I am one to talk as I always imagine the worst when one of my animals is ill. Usually I'm pleasantly relieved that it is not as serious as it first appeared.

I'm guessing Sylar misses you too, a sign of how much in tune you both are with one another. Think to him, "You'll be home soon and we'll have everything back to normal," and I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers for the same. xxxx

The nurse noticed that sy was much happier when he was out if the cage and she was doing his feeds. They have set him up a massive crate in one of the consultation rooms and he's pretty much free ranging in there with her. Apparently he is a bit brighter but again he still hasn't eateb but he did just pick up a piece of hay so maybe showing interest in food?

Sounds good. :thumb: Yeah, Sylar doesn't strike me as much of a confinement bunny. (What bunny is? :? ) I was going to suggest he'd do better if he could at least be out in an enclosure, but not every vet has the facilities for such things.
Motion is key...bunnies guts will eventually move if they are. :D

Good that he is showing an interest in hay, even if it is minor at the moment. I used to have to (gently) poke my bunnies' mouths with their hay when they were inappetant, eventually they got narked enough to grab a strand and chew it to show me what for, then they realized, hm...not bad, even if the staff's bedside manner needs work. ;)

Sending more vibes that Sylar is back to himself by morning and you can bring him home. :love: xxxx

Update - syringe feeding is going well, he still hasn't eaten but he has shown a bit of interest in a few strands of hay and some dandelion. She stuck the thermometer in and a poo came out hopefully things are starting to move? Keep your fingers crossed guys.

Back