• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sylar's stasis thread

He's incredibly sensitive and I guess it's just going to be something that we have to be aware of in the future. I'm meant to be going away for my 30th next year but I'm already thinking of alternative plans because I don't want to leave him :roll:

But you told me that you were never going to become 30? ;)

We had a bit of a scare on Sunday morning. The lady that we left them with whilst we went away text me first thing to let me know that he didn't seem himself and he wasn't eating. We were picking them up at 10am anyway but we went earlier and took some meds with us to give him asap. He definitely wasn't himself, he was hiding and he was off his food but within a few hours of him being home he perked up. She said that she had fed him as we instructed (which I believe 100% because she is amazing) and she couldn't think of anything that she had done differently that could have caused it. I'm putting it down to stress or perhaps maybe the ready grass that she puts in for them. She did ask if I wanted her to leave it out but I assumed he would be ok with it but maybe not!
Other than the above incident he has been absolutely fine and I am starting to relax a little bit more. He is FULL OF BEANS. He keeps us awake ALL night, he's always chewing, digging or jumping up on something that he shouldn't be on. He's a different bunny compared to a few months ago so i'm pretty happy with how he is doing. I'm still keeping a close eye but I do that with all of them :)

Despite the blip he sounds to be doing really well over-all, which is fantastic news :D Long may it continue xx

hi roxyroller88 - may have no bearing at all on Sylar's experience but i found that my stasis-prone bunny Spartacus is 'safer' without access to readigrass.... though i didn't identify the link at the time, what you described (no eating but bouncing back within a few hours) matches what happened with Spartacus a couple of times. He can tolerate it as an occasional hay garnish but now he's outside for the summer with access to fresh grass i've withdrawn it completely.

hi roxyroller88 - may have no bearing at all on Sylar's experience but i found that my stasis-prone bunny Spartacus is 'safer' without access to readigrass.... though i didn't identify the link at the time, what you described (no eating but bouncing back within a few hours) matches what happened with Spartacus a couple of times. He can tolerate it as an occasional hay garnish but now he's outside for the summer with access to fresh grass i've withdrawn it completely.

Yes I agree. The reason that I told her to leave it in was because he doesn't usually eat it, even when it's there BUT he's pellet free now and was probably bored with nothing else to do but eat. So maybe he decided to eat some afterall!

I have also encountered that issue with a couple of my previous Rabbits.

Yes I agree. The reason that I told her to leave it in was because he doesn't usually eat it, even when it's there BUT he's pellet free now and was probably bored with nothing else to do but eat. So maybe he decided to eat some afterall!

It's difficult with these bunnies isn't it ? I am gradually introducing different leafy greens into his diet, with strict monitoring, for variety and enjoyment .. he LOVES readigrass but now it is taboo for him I'd like to find alternatives, especially ones that take longer to eat than pellets !

We have a big box that we fill with dried herbs and leaves from Galens garden. We give them a handful or two a day and they love it :)

It's certainly something that doesn't agree with all rabbits :)

We have a big box that we fill with dried herbs and leaves from Galens garden. We give them a handful or two a day and they love it :)

that's a great idea :) i mix shop bought dried herbs in with their hay at lockdown as a treat ( so they eat both at same time) but it does lead to mess ...they love 'horse' hay but they coup it out of the hay box to find good stalks and if tasty herbs to be found even more incentive ! guess bunnies don't have OCD :)

This last week Sylar has only wanted to eat Parsley out of his greens. Could this indicate anything? That he is missing something in his diet maybe? Or is he just being fussy?!

Yeah he seems fine and his poops are normal . Eating plenty of hay, plantain, dandelion etc. Just only wants parsley. He isn't bothered which kind either, he's happy with flat or curly. We have ran out of all forage except for plantain and dandelion, there has been a mix up between Galens Garden and the delivery company and my order ended up in Swansea. We have been waiting for 2 weeks now, argh!

He seems good in himself, eating plenty of hay and dried frage but still not showing any interest in his greens except for parsley :/ going to catch up on your thread now! Xx

He seems good in himself, eating plenty of hay and dried frage but still not showing any interest in his greens except for parsley :/ going to catch up on your thread now! Xx

Do you slice the SGs into thin strips ? I have found that some Rabbits will eat them sliced but not 'whole' !! I guess slicing the greens releases more aroma which may make them seem more appealing.

Either that or I am just pandering to a fussy Rabbit !

Back