• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with run please

Joanne3146

Young Bun
Now our unit is set up we need to get a run sorted, I've looked at the c&c cages which are perfect but far too expensive! Can anyone help with alternatives??
b799d1ace05adca35ccec21ef4b034f7.jpg

This is our unit, ignore the double cage that was their previous accommodation.. we are looking to build a run that comes from the unit itself
Any tips and advice welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about using puppy pens to make a run? Or seeing as how you seem to be good at DIY you could make it yourselves using weldmesh or Perspex with a wooden frame :) you could put some non slip vynil on a board to lay down to save your carpet from being customised by the bunnies ;)

Have you seen the housing sticky, there's a lot of pictures in there for inspiration:thumb:

Agree with the suggestion of vinyl flooring and puppy panels. Relatively inexpensive, available on the likes of Amazon or Ebay and easy to construct.

We've just bought this one! Much cheaper and looks great!! Defo gonna go with vinyl floor or a rug of some kind they've messed up our carpet enough already [emoji23][emoji23]

Gonna have it rectangle shaped with a ramp going into the door.. will post a pic when it's all set up! So excited to get it!!

I'd vote for puppy pannels as an option to. I had puppy pannels when mine were inside. Be warned though some bunnies are happy just to say within and come out when you open the door but others think they should come and go from the pen as they please and happily jump over as if there is no obstical in the way! I've used rugs with plastic sheeting under and lino and both protect the carpet well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We will put something in place if we think they can jump over, this one is 60cm high but I've got a feeling they'll still manage it [emoji23][emoji23]

60cm is less than 2 feet. Can't see that being hard for them to jump over.

I love puppy pens as indoor runs/house protectors. They are great because they can be added to and be any shape that you want.

Hope your boys are not tempted to leap out.

The problem with that height is that they need to be able to periscope and I'm not sure they could do that?

What's that?

It came earlier than expected.. they can jump over it.. we have two extra panels that we can attach to the top with cable ties.. not happy with it though we opened the gate and the paint ripped off!!
b4dfb3aafb23a5c23413c6e61be327d8.jpg

Put the cage there for now as they're not using the run til it's done.. it's not like we expected :( I think we bought the wrong one because the opening should reach the bottom of their door, this one is too low.. grrrrrrr damn it!!

Very annoying when you buy something that is just wrong. I have done this more than once with animal housing.

I use puppy panels in this kind of style;

https://www.manomano.co.uk/paddocks...HrGMDSZGjDut0gUH6nvgf0Qv9q9GudZ1i_xoCVfvw_wcB

The one that I got had a gate that opened up so you can climb over it ie not got the little cross bar bit at the top.

Hope you find a way to make this work for your four lovelies.

ps periscoping is when they stand on their hind legs and stretching up.

Last edited:
One thing that might work better is instead of having a panel that sits directly in front of their unit, don't have a panel there at all. And if you don't need to protect that wall to the right of the unit from any chewing, then you can also remove those panels from along that wall. This will give you 3 extra panels to further expand their space with, or use them to increase the height of the pen. Though for any of this to work you would need to attach the free ends of of the pen to the walls or have something heavy blocking them so that the buns couldn't just push them open. I don't know if I've explained this very well, but hopefully it makes some sense.

Back