• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apollo "Polly Poodle" ~ b. Dec 2014 - 19/11/16

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Dear Little Man, what happened? What went wrong? What did *I* do wrong? You'd been a little under the weather since Takumi Little Bit died, but I thought we'd turned a corner. I thought you were getting better. How wrong was I. Or maybe, you had turned that corner, but the cold snap just took you away, you couldn't cope. But let us not think about that. Let us remember the good times.

Apollo, the first time I met you, you were a wee thing in a far too small hutch in a rescue with your two brothers. I could have chosen you, to bond you with Elphie and Galinda, but I didn't. You were too young for those older ladies. You were beautiful and easily adoptable. I ended up with sweet Archimedes instead.

But then, Athena had recovered from her abscess and she needed somebunny to love. One of your brothers had gone, but you and the other was still there. Mercifully, you'd actually been given more space. Your striking white leg caught my attention. You and your brother were the only suitable boys there; the rest were all wildie crosses and I don't have an appropriate set up for such a special bunny type like that. But it didn't matter that my choices were limited. You were still beautiful and perfect and you were the one. I never knew your exact breed; you're definitely a cross. I expect you were a dutch/Nethie cross as the first of your brothers to be adopted had the dutch bandings, but you also could have the most grumpy Nethie face ever when you put your mind to it.

I picked you up in July 2015 - goodness knows how you and your remaining brother took so long to find homes - and bonded you with Athena. It took a few days for you to find your place with her, but once you did, you were smitten.

I've known several bunnies in my time, Polly, but you were so determined. When you were a house bunny, there was no bunny like you for determination to get into the food cupboard. Quick as a flash, you'd be in there. You made fending the food from the quad look easy! :shock: More than once you got underfoot and ended up being nudged away by feet in a rather indignant manner.

Polly, you were never the brightest of bunnies, but you shone like a star. You won a photography competition and your winning photo is now displayed in the lounge in a collage with other pet photos. Just as it deserves to be. That photo was taken on your first day outside after bonding with Athena. You got to dig for the first time! However, when it came to roll call for food, you were always the slowest despite the fact your favourite (only enjoyed) interaction with hoomins was being called for food. Anything else, it just wasn't on the cards for you. Let Athena get all the headrubs, so long as you got the noms. But you were never the sharpest tool in the box, it took you a little while to figure out tricks and things.

Maybe it was just that you were clever enough to leave everything to your Munchkin, your Athena, to solve and then come in for the rewards instead.

While Athena was (and still is) the ultimate show-off, you were so much more reserved. She loves to flop dramatically, and you always looked like you were giving her such a condescending glare. Like, it's one thing to lay down with your hocks exposed; it's another entirely to flop on your side and be all 'look at meeeeee' like Athena can be! But generally, you liked to keep yourself to yourself. Where Athena led, you followed. Like Valentine's Day 2016, when Athena escaped (because my brother didn't close the run) and you followed her. It was snowing and I was having to try desperately to catch you in the dark. You and Athena were under a hedge, BEHIND Elphie's group's run. I was standing in it and you and Athena skittered up and down. But mercifully, we got you back in and safe and my brother had a finger wagged at him.

In the summer, no matter how often I told you, you always liked to lop one of your ears. Just one. With a roll of my eyes, I'd tell you: Polly, you are NOT a lop, but you didn't care. Quite frankly, you rocked the look anyway.

Polly Poodle, when it came to joining in the quad by bonding you and Athena with Rivergrace and Takumi, it was you two boys who met at loggerheads at first. But even so, it only took 24 hours to you live in harmony. The morning after, bunnies were everywhere. You, of course, had your head in a bag of forage. For a not-a-rex bunny, you were so hugely food orientated. Of course that was where I found you.

Outside, everything went just as smoothly. You and Takumi looked like you could have been related. Your orange picked out the orange in his tricolour fur. You seemed to love and really benefit from being a part of a larger group. As you were never a people bunny, I think having more bunnies to love meant that you got a lot out of it.

Oh Polly Poodle, you were ever the follower. When Little Bit learned how to jump over the run to get into the patch of stinging nettles behind, you followed. Of course you did; there were noms aplenty. Noms you could always see but not reach. Being given forage and fresh veggies is all well and good, but when you could get it yourself? That was always so much better. I got stung so many times fishing you two boys out of the stinging nettles. It practically became a game and you even got River in on the act!

Unfortunately, Takumi died just over a month ago. You were left with two does and seemed happy enough with your lot. You were keen for food, but slow on the uptake as always. I kept an eye on you. I thought you were turning the corner. But now you're gone.

I'm sorry Apollo.

I'm sorry little man.

I love you Polly Poodle. I always will. It doesn't matter that I was merely the bringer of noms. I still loved you. I hope you loved me, at least, in your own sweet way.

Run free Apollo. Go wreak havoc with Takumi on the Rainbow Bridge. Go meet my other waiting buns and puss cats Please watch over my living souls, but keep them safe with me. I can't handle more loss. River will look after Athena. So will I. I love you Apollo.
xxx

P1070090_zpsfnbwklsx.jpg

P1070447_zps0mz0isgp.jpg

P1070433_zpsqyhwhu8w.jpg

P1070144_zpsbmwej09t.jpg

P1070148_zpsur50dun6.jpg

P1070138_zpsdttzuson.jpg

P1060473_zpsaqkngxfg.jpg

P1060835_zps5xojboee.jpg

P1060189.jpg

P1060136_zps3ebiiv7o.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so sorry :cry: He was a super rabbit and your tribute to him was lovely. Sending you lots of hugs.

Thank you everyone. It still doesn't seem real that he's gone. I just... no real signs, apart from being a little under the weather 2 weeks ago. But apart from that... :cry:

Back