• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rosie - 17th November 2016

Vanessa.B

Mama Doe
Rosie, beautiful Rosie Moo, strong willed and stubborn, I hope I can do you justice here. Losing you has been so hard.

Rosie came into my life in October 2007, along with her smaller sister Hollie as companions for Herbie. They bonded easily and spent the winter indoors with us. Right from the start Rosie made it quite clear that any contact with her was not to be allowed, shying away at the slightest touch. Apart maybe from the last time I held her, she would go rigid, her ears like pegs. Silly peg ears I would say. And she would always stamp her displeasure after being held – more so when I then said Rosie Moo in a disapproving voice. But we didn’t mind that she didn’t want to be touched, it was enough to watch her with Hollie and Herbie.

I then started to wonder about maybe getting a partner of her own as it seemed more and more that she was the odd one out. Rosie however brought this about for herself when it took two attempts to spay Hollie. With Hollie gone for the day, Rosie decided she wanted Herbie to herself and refused to accept Hollie back into the threesome. We made the decision to find Rosie a new partner, Herbie wasn’t bothered either way and it was Hollie who was devoted to him.

So along came BJ for Rosie. They bonded easily, and very soon were very much in tune and happy together. It was lovely to see Rosie with him, she lost the slightly worried look that she had had in her eyes. They loved being in the garden together but despite this Rosie still didn’t like to be caught. The ‘out’ word would send her hiding away and stamping.

Being very suspicious it took some time for her to use the tunnel to the run on the decking and as for the mats we put down to stop the wood being chewed they held unknown horrors. Rosie preferred the safety of my daughter’s knee rather than putting a paw on them at first. And then when I replaced them – same colour and texture – I clearly remember her scooting along the tunnel, getting to the end and then realising they were different. Horrified she backed up the tunnel forcing poor BJ along behind.

And too there were the steps of doom. It took her a long long time to come down the steps from the decking onto the garden, preferring to jump down through the bars instead. When we tried to show her the middle step was safe she sat frozen – and she never ever used that step going back up. Always leaping from the garden straight to the decking. She soon, like BJ, learned that ‘back up’ meant garden time was over. He would obligingly return to their shed, she, if she could would make a beeline for her hideaway bush and make things difficult.

If she could, she would head straight to Gabriel’s run at the other end of the garden. She and Gabe disliked each other intensely and she seemed to take some pleasure in annoying him, leaving a calling card of poops.

The years went by then in February 2014 Herbie died, leaving Hollie behind. Without too much hope I decided to try her with Rosie and BJ. To my joy they accepted Hollie and for six months it was wonderful to see them as a threesome sitting together. And then a tiny wild rabbit got into the garden causing referred aggression and mayhem. Rosie and Hollie had fought and despite my best efforts Rosie would not accept Hollie again.

This year Rosie had pneumonia and in June it was confirmed she had an enlarged heart. We decided not to treat her thinking it was better for her to live her days happy without having the constant stress of being caught and medicated. She had a wonderful sixth sense about knowing when she was going to be picked up and I didn’t want her to end her days being constantly fearful of being handled.

Rosie and BJ enjoyed their summer in the garden and although I was always worrying over her breathing in the heat she appeared to be enjoying life. And then in September she lost BJ, her partner for eight and a half years. I had not even considered that I would lose BJ first so then worried even more about Rosie. Being so hands-off living on her own seemed so awful for her but I didn’t want to adopt another rabbit given she was unwell and trying her with Gabe and Mabe was never an option.

So along stepped in a friend who offered me one of her lone boys after a bonding breakdown as company for Rosie. Handsome white Max with his blue eyes and lop ears came to live alongside her and they bonded without too much trouble, Rosie having humped him a couple of times to put him in his place. Gentle Max gave Rosie a new lease of life, she was more enthusiastic about food and treats, foraged on the decking with him and seemed much brighter. She even allowed me to sit with them whilst they ate and occasionally let me touch her. We even had an understanding – back in for sweeties I would say, and she obliged. I dared to hope that Rosie would have more time with us.

And then she was slightly less interested in food, slightly more wary of me and I feared and then knew it was her time. I think she did too.

Rosie and BJ

With Hollie too

Playing in the garden at her happiest.

Rosie, my Rosie Moo, such a wonderful, funny character. I hope you are now safe and happy with BJ. You are so very missed xx

Last edited:
Oh Vanessa that's such a wonderful tribute :love:

Those photos of her leaping around the garden are priceless!

What a wonderful life you gave her, and all your bunnies xxx

Oh Vanessa, what a beautiful tribute to Rosie...I'm in tears over here. :cry:
She was lovely and sounds like quite the rabbit's rabbit. BJ and Hollie too, so gorgeous, all of them. And those action shots, wow! :love:
I am so sorry it was time for her to leave, but I hope she is having happy binkies in green fields with handsome BJ. Thinking of you and sending hugs.

Sleep well and sweet dreams, Rosie. xxxx

So very sorry :cry: a lovely tribute to a beautiful girl :love:
Thinking of you and sending hugs xx
Binky free Rosie xx

I'm so sorry that Rosie had to leave you :cry: I don't think I've ever seen photos of her before. She was very beautiful :love: You have some lovely photos to treasure of her enjoying the garden.

A lovely tribute. It's very sad when you lose them, even if they don't like handling, it makes them even more special if that makes sense. Hugs xxx

Back