• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I just lost Maple

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
My sweet Maple went into GI stasis 48hrs ago. She fought so hard through her first night and seemed to be picking up yesterday. I thought she was going to get through it. She kept collapsing and only managed to stand a few times. I don't know if she had anything underlying but she seemed healthy. She was running around the other day full of life. She went down again last night and spent the night at the vets. Got the call this morning that she was worse and we had to make a decision. When we got there she was gone.
I can't believe it, she wasn't even two and a half. She was fine the day before, eating her way though everything.
I just can't believe it. She was so young. I'm still not over Willow, now to lose her too. She was our cuddly bunny, she was scared of other rabbits but loved us. We'd decided not to keep trying to bond her but to let her be our special girl, she bonded with us instead. She'd be picked up and there was nothing in the world she loved more than to snuggle up and go to sleep next to you. She's irreplacable. The void without her is unbelievable. I just can't believe she's gone. She was my special girl.

I'm really in shock. I can't believe it. I wasn't ready for this. She's too young. She had so much more to live. She's never even been outside, we were going to build a huge run when we moved for them to use in the summer.
I can't believe she's not here. If I'd lost any of the others it's her I'd go to now and give a hug to, she's the one that always wanted a cuddle.

Maple1.jpg

Maple's the brown rex on the right, the day after we brought her home and before she fell out with Jazzie. Sitting in their box while their cage was being set up.
Maple3.jpg

Oh what a gorgeous bunny, and a beautiful name too - I am so sorry you have lost her too soon.

Sleep tight Maple xx

Rather unbelievably two days before her Cody went into GI stasis and they didn't think he'd make it either. Thanks to the dedication of the brilliant vet at VetsNow Farnham he pulled through. Two days later Maple too. I'm really worried there's a link. I was told Maple had a heart murmur last night too, something that no other vet has mentioned in the past. Both were struggling with losing weight too but Cody seems to be gaining some back now. About three weeks ago we nearly lost Lunar after choking on a pellet (VetsNow Farnham again saved her life). I really can't believe all this.

Last edited:
I'm having so much trouble coming to terms with this. I've just felt so shocked all day. This time last week there was no indication that I'd lose her anytime soon. Then she's just gone.
I can't help thinking if I'd been quicker getting her to the vet, if I'd noticed earlier.. I'm sure she'd still be here.
I don't know how to cope with this. I had so much trouble with Willow but she was older, I know that she probably wouldn't have survived. Maple wasn't even 2 and a half. She had so much life ahead. I've cut it short. She's gone because of me. She shouldn't be gone, she was so young. How can such a beautiful little girl be here one minute and gone the next. She was fine. It's not right, she didn't deserve this.
Oh, what on earth happened.
I'd give anything to bring her back.

This is so sad, but it wasn't your fault. You got her to the vet's. We can only do what we can do, and rabbits are fragile and they can die quickly and unexpectedly.

I'm so very sorry, sometimes we just don't have the answers. You did your very best for Maple, she knew how loved she was. Binky free beautiful Maple xxxx

Back