• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What size hutch ??

Holly Go-Lightly said:
bluebunny said:
http://www.hop-and-hutch.co.uk/erol.html
which hutches did you buy?

I bought the three story ones with 4 ft runs attached. They are mucha easier for cleaning, feeding and catching buns :)
how many buns live it it? it looks quite good

bluebunny said:
Holly Go-Lightly said:
bluebunny said:
http://www.hop-and-hutch.co.uk/erol.html
which hutches did you buy?

I bought the three story ones with 4 ft runs attached. They are mucha easier for cleaning, feeding and catching buns :)
how many buns live it it? it looks quite good

Hiya,

4 buns live in each. BUT they do get to go outside for a tear around everyday. I think they are great for giving buns a bit of privacy. Sometimes they just want everyone out of their face. Each of them has a favorite floor (it's like their own little apartment). They come out into the run for supper :) Very cute

I have a five foot hutch that I no longer use as my bunnys live indoors, you could have it for free but I can't deliver!

Those three storey Hop and Hutch ones look great and good value too - wonder if I could get away with a brand new shed and a three-storey hutch for the buns or is that pushing the other half a bit too far :wink: - I'll work on him over the next couple of weeks.
Where abouts are you touie? - that is a generous offer.

I've seen a really nice playhouse that I could convert into a bunny home, however everything I have ever read always comments that the hutch should be raised off the ground. So I'm a tad concerned that a playhouse/shed will be ok. Obviously I will put a playhouse/shed on a patio slab base - is this going to be ok???????? :?

We are in the middle of converting 8 wooden wendy type houses for the rescue buns. I think the reason for hutches normally being raised is to stop things like mice and rats getting in but I'm not sure. Can anyone else think of a reason why? We are putting in small guage weldmesh so that should keep the pesky blighters out!

Hmmmmmm, stress, tell me about it! :lol: We've got one completely built but with no run attached as yet, one nearly built but with no run attached as yet, one painted with two coats and awaiting the third coat IF ONLY THE BLINKIN' RAIN WOULD STOP!!!!!!!! :roll:

bunnyhuggger said:
We are in the middle of converting 8 wooden wendy type houses for the rescue buns. I think the reason for hutches normally being raised is to stop things like mice and rats getting in but I'm not sure. Can anyone else think of a reason why? We are putting in small guage weldmesh so that should keep the pesky blighters out!

Your right about the rats and mice. It is also to do with drafts and dampness so people don’t just buy one of those “starter packs” and stick it on the floor or grass – sadly, it happens :( A Wendy house or shed, are simply an additional protective environment for the rabbits and also us or just simply a whopping big hutch!

I am converting a 12’ by 5’ shed for my four buns at the moment (2 @ each end, 3 levels (hope) ( plus run).

I know exactly what you mean about stress, but could not cope with that times 8 LOL. Hat’s off to you. The weather is a nightmare.

About 3 weeks ago on a sunny day I thought go for it… take a single door shed with 2 windows and convert it into a four window shed with double barn doors.

Have electric saw, what’s the problem? Who needs a plan? (bob will bodge it), Well bob has bodged it ROFL, just need two more windows then start on the inside but not actually a bad job but it should have been a weekend job as I trusted our weather forecasters….

The Inside? well that should be interesting. Asked my kids for some ideas on that and they came up with a rope ladder and rope swing with a carrot at the end. Right…, very helpful.

Wish you luck with your Wendy Houses.

Any ideas on the “dream shed interior”?

Bob

Lynn said:
Hi Claire - we have one of these playhouses for the Robster. It is raised on slabs and has a run attached to each side for him to get out and explore. Photo attached below if you want to see it. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/ljmrb/c657f430.jpg

That is absolutely excellent! I have never even considered using the wire run panels that you have into a purpose built run - got me thinking now.... best I finish off the doors and windows and then do the insides first LOL

Bob

Hi Bob - if you are interested the wire run panels that I bought are advertised on the Rabbit Rehome website - added bonus was that when we ordered they paid a donation to Rabbit Rehome, but I'm not sure if that is still running now. I have just ordered another eight panels as an 'introduction' pen, as we are hoping to bond Robbie. Link below should give more details if you are interested:

http://pwsgreenline.co.uk/webstore/...id/49?osCsid=41ae07be06ef4a6d1a5163980fbd3f8e

The eight panels are very sturdy - can be used on their own as a supervised run area, but we attached them to a wooden frame, so that we could put a roof on it, then Robbie can be in it all day unsupervised.

We don't have too much in the inside, so he has plenty of space - he has a litter tray, bed type thing, food bowls, hay rack and toys to amuse him. It has lino on the bottom - hygienic, easy to clean (and best of all he can't eat it, as he did with the carpet we originally put in it :? ).

Good luck with the building - the happy faces of the buns when you finish will make it all worthwhile :)

:lol: I like your style Bob! You made me laugh, thank you sooo much! Can't wait to see the pics. *thinks: I'm soooo glad I don't have kids.....* :lol:

Lynn said:
Hi Bob - if you are interested the wire run panels that I bought are advertised on the Rabbit Rehome website - added bonus was that when we ordered they paid a donation to Rabbit Rehome, but I'm not sure if that is still running now.

Yep, you just need to mention Rabbit Rehome on your order form :D I sent out 200 toys to rescue bunnies using some of the money raised so far.

Tam

Thanks Tamsin - I couldn't find the 'advertising bit' on RR yesterday when I ordered the new panels - however, I took the chance and quoted 'Rabbit' on the order (which is nearly right :? ), so I hope the donation is still made - might drop them an e-mail to confirm :)

"Rabbit" is fine, you don't have to go through RR for it to work :) I'l have to chase another cheque from them and then I can have more fun spending it !!!

Tam

Lynn said:
Thanks Tamsin - I couldn't find the 'advertising bit' on RR yesterday when I ordered the new panels - however, I took the chance and quoted 'Rabbit' on the order (which is nearly right :? ), so I hope the donation is still made - might drop them an e-mail to confirm :)

Hi Lynn,

If you're worried please just drop an e-mail to Kirsten at PWS Greenline.
Kirsten Guest [k.guest@otto.co.uk]
She was great when I placed my order for them. I wasn't sure if they remembered to donate as well. Both Linda and I use the green panels in a "fixed" outdoor run. I like your idea of putting a roof on though. Your set up looks amazing. Lucky Robster:)

Bob - inside my Wendy house I have the following...

1. a loft - large shelf chest height for food, treats, litter, shampoo and a little extra space for filling bowls.

2. a wainscot half-wall down the middle 1.5' high. This keeps happy Guinea Pigs safe on one side of the floor and a nice clean side for mummy to walk around on the other side. I put down the sticky lino tiles for easy cleaning.

3. A Table for minor surgeries. Inspecting ears, eyes, bums, feet, and doing nails.

4. A coatrack for when I need to hang up my mac, wet tea towels etc.

5. On the wall - Black and white photos of Audrey Hepburn, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid etc all in frames. For decoration. Still trying to find one of Julius Caesar for The Geeze.

6. Mini obstacle course for the buns who can come in the side through cat flap, jump over the wall, onto vet traveller box, tunnel into box of hay, come out of top, jump on table, land other side onto little fleece cat bed.

7. Window boxes with bedding plants

Good Luck. Let me know how it goes!

Back