• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

meadow hay recommendations

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
can anyone recommend a good quality meadow hay that comes in fairly large amounts, and that comes very well packaged?

not hay for pets at the moment as we've just had our third attempt at getting a bag here undamaged and not wet.

i don't like the soft dust free hay and they don't package well.

have recently used dean's farm meadow hay but the last few bags are poor quality and greasy.

has anyone tried the 'superhay' from gjw titmuss?

and can anyone recommend anywhere else. getting desperate now. it's for the guinea pigs big litter tray so they can burrow and so mollie can keep warm enough.

they have timothy hay on top of a wooden bridge type thing, but i don't know if it's too hard to use in the tray.

thank you :wave:

I've never had a problem with Hay4pets. The hay always comes in an extremely thick polythene bag with a very sturdy tie at the top. Has yours been a problem with the polythene being ripped or has the tie come off? Do you think it's a problem with how it's been packed or damage by the courier?

I haven't had the hay you mentioned from GWTitmuss, but I have ordered Green Oat Readigrass from them recently. It arrived completely undamaged, but the cardboard box was not terribly strong and it was delivered by Yodel, who are not the world's best courier (although I have found them better recently).

It's a courier problem with hay for pets.

I've had to email gjw titmuss to ask if I can request extra packaging. Unfortunately our couriers around here are terrible.

I've found three options but can only try one more then not again for about two weeks.

Gjw titmuss superhay

Zooplus bunny fresh grass hay

Cheshire pet supplies bale (they deliver themselves locally)

we went for the zooplus which is due tomorrow. wish us luck!

got a plan now incase we can't get any hay some/all of the time/winter etc. i've been using a bit more fitch in the tray with some cardboard boxes aswell to keep warmer. or i've just been putting fleece blankets in there. ordered some more of mollie's favourite ones (from a catalogue, bad idea!) but they should work well because they dry quicker than any fleece blankets i've bought before.

so if we struggle getting meadow hay some of the time, or most of the time, at least i have options now. and i can try not to have a heart attack from the stress. i don't think my over the top reactions are anything to do with the hay to be honest. my grief for bisc is now pouring out uncontrollably so it's probably making me very irritable and down.

and what i'll do is just try and get a refund if the hay turns up unusable. if not, just throw it and try a different one a week or two later.

eta: and they always have timothy hay to eat anyway, which, touch wood, has never turned up unusable so far (from timothyhay.co.uk)

eta: got the zooplus hay and it's really great quality. dry, smells fresh and is really green. benjie was so excited by it and was running around wheeking :love: both benjie and mollie love it and have been munching non stop so i am really pleased. the delivery turned up well packaging and bone dry :thumb:

Last edited:
Back