• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing problem

anparkinson

New Kit
Mac is a 2 year old neutered male rescue bunny. He spends days out in the garden and comes into the house when it's dark. He's friendly, very good about using his litter tray when inside but has one failing - he chews anything. His favourites are my wife's handbags and electric cables which makes him very unpopular.

He's now not allowed in the house so has to stay in our conservatory which is fine for him but he still chews anything he finds there so it's getting to the stage that as soon as he comes in he'll have to go straight into his indoor hutch which we want to avoid if possible.

Is there any way to stop chem chewing?

Hi. Some rabbits seem to do more chewing than others, why we just don't always know. Does he have lots of hay to keep his grazing instincts satisfied? Also, I don't know if you have heard, but rabbits need to be either in or out during the winter as the difference in temperature can upset the respiratory system. They are not like dogs or cats in this respect.

Lots of willow, apples branches, hazel and probably more that I cant remember atm. Mine love to shred cardboard too.

They are pretty good chewers. Unlimited hay or grass is great for them. Mine all like brambles. Plenty of things to do. Tunnels, boxes to explore, treats (fresh herbs for example) hidden in hay filled loo roll inners for them to forage for.

Plenty to do may go some way to stopping handbag and cable chewing.

He has loads of hay which he pretty much ignores. He has plenty to chew on in the garden and has his favorite bushes plus branches from our apple tree.

He does seem to chew more when he comes in though.

You must try to get him more interested in his hay or he might end up with teeth problems. Cut down on his food bit by bit until you see him eating more hay! How old is he?

He'll be 2 in March. His teeth are fine at the moment. Probably all his chewing other things.....

Mac%20&%20Honey.jpg

Last edited:
It's a different motion when they are chewing their hay or grass as opposed to pellets etc. This hay eating motion keeps their back teeth worn down. This is quite a bit problem with rabbits as you no doubt know their teeth grow continuously. Dentals can be very costly!

Back